SPH/VAB Vehicle Centering & Camera Control?

I promise, I have searched for hours. It is not in any documentation I cannot find it in the forums.

I know some smart person can point me in the right direction.

I cannot believe that no thread exists, nor can I believe that such a wonderful development project KSP is, that they have not noticed or they failed to include some basic camera controls and functionality.

In the hangers, I simply cannot move the center of the camera's focus to where I want, nor can I cause the vehicle to be recentered in the hanger. Often, I find I have moved the entire vehicle to one side or another and frustratedly I am not able to simply recenter the vehicle nor am I able to move the camera to any other location except one pointing at the center of the hanger.

Another item that bugs me is that one cannot select a target to focus the camera on.

Thank You for your help in advance.

Edited by davidclaywood
edit the title

It is best if your craft gets stuck to move in one direction only, either left and right OR forward and back (Rotating the camera as appropriate) If you hold Right Click you can pan the camera, ShIft+Scroll Wheel zooms in and out, where as scroll wheel moves up and down (This is reversed in the SPH)

There's also a wiki for that.

For moving the camera, you can use right mouse button, middle mouse button, and scroll wheel in conjunction with SHIFT and CTRL. Try a variety of these combinations and you'll see what all they do.

To get your ship back in the center, it takes some camera trickery. If you watch close enough, you'll see that the craft moves in a plane that's parallel to your view. So if you square your view up with the walls, you can work the craft back to the center one axis at a time.

If that proves to be too much of a pain, you can also open the .craft file and look for the section below. Make sure you are looking at the very first part in the .craft file.

PART
{
part = mk1pod_4294809848
partName = Part
[COLOR="#FF0000"]pos = 0,10,0[/COLOR]

Where it says pos = x, y, z, put in something along the lines of what you see above (0, 10, 0). This will put your craft's root part back to the center of the VAB/SPH. You can then reload your craft (no need to restart KSP) and SHIFT+Left Click on your craft to pull it out of the floor.

I recommend making a backup of your .craft file before editing. Also, make sure you use a plain text editor (such as notepad) to edit the file. Do NOT use word or wordpad.

Good luck,

~Claw

• 1 year later...

Necrophilia!

On Freitag, 5. September 2014 at 4:54 AM, Claw said:

PART
{
	part = mk1pod_4294809848
	partName = Part
	[COLOR="#FF0000"]pos = 0,10,0[/COLOR]

Where it says pos = x, y, z, put in something along the lines of what you see above (0, 10, 0). This will put your craft's root part back to the center of the VAB/SPH. You can then reload your craft (no need to restart KSP) and SHIFT+Left Click on your craft to pull it out of the floor.

I recommend making a backup of your .craft file before editing. Also, make sure you use a plain text editor (such as notepad) to edit the file. Do NOT use word or wordpad.

Good luck,

~Claw

Well, it worked in one case, but now the first part in the cfg is NOT the root part and I only move that part, not the whole vessel...

For heavens sake, this must be fixed.

IMHO top priority - all these workarounds ... NO, a FIX is necessary ASAP.

A button in VAB/SPH that does only one thang:
moving the center of mass in the middle of the VAB/SPH - and of course the whole craft with it.

And next - please - fix the camera controls.

How many people were frustrated in the last years about this number one issue?

• 6 years later...

It's a pain I know but you save your Build, exit the Building then immediately re-enter and re-load your project and boom it's centered. Doesn't take long to do really and I've gotten so frustrated taking forever trying to inch the build a little at a time to get it re-centered that this way is just so much quicker. I hope that help's Guys As always Good Gaming my friends. ;p

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.