Cannot Retrieve Command Pod&Kerbals

Dear Support,

I have a few mods installed, one is the science mod that provides the Kerbal Zoology bay, Kibbal food, quarks and so on. The other is FASA Mercury - Apollo and finally Mechjeb2. I play only Career Mode, 64 version i believe, latest ksp update.

I've been having a very weird issue happening. Every time i brought the Three man command pod back for a splash down or hard landing i was unable to retrieve either the pod nor the kerbals. I had to actually EVA one kerbal in the end to retrieve him then go into the Space Centre and retrieve the pod (I'm aware there's two retrieve buttons), this issue was happening to me literary every time i returned a command pod, eventually i was having to restart the game just to get my kerbal and pod back (restarting the game seemed to almost stop the loop the game got into).

Unfortunately a few days ago i the issue became a bigger problem, where by before these work a rounds would work they eventually just stopped working. In the end i had to eject the three kerbals into the ocean, retrieve the command pod. But it wouldn't let me retrieve nor even terminate the three kerbals that were permanently left in the water. I did notice however that when i went to the Astronaut Complex that the three kerbals i wanted to retrieve were available for the next mission, but when i viewed the Assignments Section it said they were still on EVA, so it ended up being a permanent loop.

I did read up on other people on the Steam forum but there was no real help there. One thing i saw was that sometimes the game thinks that the command pod is still moving (it won't let you retrieve a craft/kerbals if the craft is moving), but obviously it would be moving as i have splashed down. I tried landing on the ground but the same thing happened. As there was no fix and now restarting the game wasn't working i had to reinstall the game.

I haven't had a chance yet to see if it happens again, but to note i was having this occasional problem when i was on a fresh install with no mods but it wasn't as bad until now.

Should i have a fresh copy of ksp every time in install a mod? is that something you would recommend?

Thank all

Edited by jabbashouse

If by custom tech tree you mean the mods add new tech to the original tree then yes. If that's not what you mean then no.

UPDATE:

I did take a look at the Sticky posts, but unfortunately there wasn't a solution that solved my issue I was having. Also I'm using the original install of KSP, whether or not by default KSP runs in 64bit im not sure.

I'll upload the crash files when it happens again on this current install.

Thanks again

Edited by jabbashouse
missed some info out

If by custom tech tree you mean the mods add new tech to the original tree then yes. If that's not what you mean then no.

UPDATE:

I did take a look at the Sticky posts, but unfortunately there wasn't a solution that solved my issue I was having. Also I'm using the original install of KSP, whether or not by default KSP runs in 64bit im not sure.

I'll upload the crash files when it happens again on this current install.

Thanks again

i mean if you use treeloader and custom tree.cfg because contracts and custom tech tree don't play nicely together i had the same problem but as you said that you are not using a custom tech tree then you should provide the crash logs

Dear community

I can confirm that it was one of the mods that coursed my original issue. Most likely the culprit was the Mercury to Apollo mod, seeing as I only had a few mods running and those ones have checked out fine after extensive game play.

I think that that particular mod being of such detail and complexity should have been installed onto a fresh unmodded version of KSP. But unfortunately im not willing to risk my career save again.

Please classed this thread closed and ready for deletion.

Thankyou.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.