[1.12.x] Karbonite/Karbonite Plus (K+)

RoverDude

1 hour ago, DStaal said:

Just don't change the cfg name of it if you can avoid it - that leads to breaking saves. :wink: 

Renaming the file and ingame display name shouldn't break it.

EDIT: For the file names to match the part names, I'll have to shuffle the other two down one (this won't cause an issue)-but why are there two config files for exactly the same part? The fwd mount inline propfan is configed for by both KA_Jet_Propfan_02 and 03, with the only visible difference being sightly different pressure/vel curves. Can I safely remove 03 as a duplicate?

Edited by voicey99

49 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

Probably because K+ doesn't exist anymore. it was merged with karbonite.  @RoverDude should probably close this thread.

The links don't work because USI mods have been moved to their own github repository, so the links need to be updated.

There is no Karbonite thread (because of the accident earlier this year) so this thread is the best place to talk about Karbonite-only issues, and is de-facto the Karbonite thread.

9 hours ago, voicey99 said:

Renaming the file and ingame display name shouldn't break it.

EDIT: For the file names to match the part names, I'll have to shuffle the other two down one (this won't cause an issue)-but why are there two config files for exactly the same part? The fwd mount inline propfan is configed for by both KA_Jet_Propfan_02 and 03, with the only visible difference being sightly different pressure/vel curves. Can I safely remove 03 as a duplicate?

This should not happen. When @RoverDude accepted my PR, the deletion of the PropFan_03 config files did not occur. You can safely remove them.

4 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

This should not happen. When @RoverDude accepted my PR, the deletion of the PropFan_03 config files did not occur. You can safely remove them.

There are also two turbofans listed (KA_Jet_Turbofan_01 and Radial_01). Which is the right one to remove (I'm guessing the one with the smoother mach curve)?

Edited by voicey99

2 hours ago, voicey99 said:

There are also two turbofans listed (KA_Jet_Turbofan_01 and Radial_01). Which is the right one to remove (I'm guessing the one with the smoother mach curve)?

Delete the _Radial_01's. An easier point to look out for than the curves is the crashTolerance value. Whichever has the lower value must go, because I buffed that for all of the air-breathing engines.

On the side, it bugged me that there are two radial engine models (the turboprop and the turbofan) but there's no *_Radial_02.cfg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

36 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Delete the _Radial_01's. An easier point to look out for than the curves is the crashTolerance value. Whichever has the lower value must go, because I buffed that for all of the air-breathing engines.

I also saw you buffed the turbofan ISP-they really needed that to compete at all with the other engines. I'd have pulled it in as well if you hadn't done it.

I started a new thread asking this question and now I feel stupid for not asking it here first:

I really prefer Karbonite to the stock KSP resource system but my mild OCD tendencies really hate it when redundant/unused systems pile up on each-other. Is there a way to disable the stock resource system and just replace it with Karbonite?

17 minutes ago, spacedoctor42 said:

I started a new thread asking this question and now I feel stupid for not asking it here first:

I really prefer Karbonite to the stock KSP resource system but my mild OCD tendencies really hate it when redundant/unused systems pile up on each-other. Is there a way to disable the stock resource system and just replace it with Karbonite?

Scratch that, I figured out how to get rid of the parts, just not the "ore" resource itself. Still bugs me, just not as much.

38 minutes ago, spacedoctor42 said:

Scratch that, I figured out how to get rid of the parts, just not the "ore" resource itself. Still bugs me, just not as much.

I feel the same somewhat and wrote a cfg to remove the fuel modules from the Convert-O-Trons. I'm not home right now and I'll share when I can, if you're interested.

@spacedoctor42 Here you go. The wildcards make it affect the small Convert-O-Tron too.

@PART[*ISRU*]:NEEDS[Karbonite]
{
	!MODULE[ModuleResourceConverter]:HAS[#ConverterName[Lf?Ox]] {}
	!MODULE[ModuleResourceConverter]:HAS[#ConverterName[LiquidFuel]] {}
	!MODULE[ModuleResourceConverter]:HAS[#ConverterName[Oxidizer]] {}
	!MODULE[ModuleResourceConverter]:HAS[#ConverterName[Mono*]] {}
}

I could have it target any and all converter modules with just one line instead of four but that would be bad as it could delete any that were inserted by/after any other mod. The removed modules will return if you remove Karbonite.

10 hours ago, ssd21345 said:

Don't deploy your advanced collector at VAB. It broke the collector.

It does NOT like atmospheres.

I've found it to be next to useless anyway, considering how rare exospheric Ka/Ka+ is.

11 hours ago, voicey99 said:

It does NOT like atmospheres.

I've found it to be next to useless anyway, considering how rare exospheric Ka/Ka+ is.

Yep, why do you want collect at exosphere when you can mine at eeloo or eve.

3 hours ago, ssd21345 said:

Yep, why do you want collect at exosphere when you can mine at eeloo or eve.

It's to save landing as far as I know. The only places that have exospheric Ka in my game are the guaranteed Kerbin and Jool, the latter of which's band is so deep inside its gravity well it wrecks any bonus you get from not having to land.

• 2 weeks later...

Excuse me for asking this here, but the original Karbonite thread is closed, and this seems to be the only active Karbonite-related discussion ATM.

I am a late comer, and i just started to play the game few days ago. Well... my KSP has probably 50+ mods up ATM.

Questions i have are related to Karbonite scanning and mining. Oh, and, BTW I am playing on KSP 1.3, with the latest versions of Karbonite and Karbonite +

I did orbital resource, S.C.A.N. and Karbonite scans from polar orbits - at proper altitudes and all.

1.) I can not seam to be able to get those red balls to show on the S.C.A.N. Map , or on the planetary overlay of Kerbin no matter what i do - the thing i have seen on so many screenshots and videos - those are supposed to indicate high concentrations of Karbonite,

2,) To test things, i took one large Karbonite Drill and deployed it next to the Space Center. It worked properly for about two ingame days. After that it stopped. Reason? Resource Depleted. .. Correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't Karbonite supposed to be an inexhaustable resource that can be found everywhere in small quantities? This drill mined only about 600 Karbonite before stopping... It seams silly for a resource to be exhausted from a whole biome by such a small scale mining operation.

Thing is, my mid-long term plan was to make huge orbital stations in orbits around Kerbin and Mun - places to refuel ships going further away from Kerbin. I was looking forward to this (for me) huge logistical mess that would help me later on. Both Stations would be dependent on the Karbonite being mined at Mun.  However, if Karbonite is actually an exhaustable resource, contrary to what all articles on the web say.. my plans for my carefully planned happy future in Kerbal Space all fall to water. :(

Thank you in advance for any insights you can provide.

47 minutes ago, Shinka said:

Excuse me for asking this here, but the original Karbonite thread is closed, and this seems to be the only active Karbonite-related discussion ATM.

I am a late comer, and i just started to play the game few days ago. Well... my KSP has probably 50+ mods up ATM.

Questions i have are related to Karbonite scanning and mining. Oh, and, BTW I am playing on KSP 1.3, with the latest versions of Karbonite and Karbonite +

I did orbital resource, S.C.A.N. and Karbonite scans from polar orbits - at proper altitudes and all.

1.) I can not seam to be able to get those red balls to show on the S.C.A.N. Map , or on the planetary overlay of Kerbin no matter what i do - the thing i have seen on so many screenshots and videos - those are supposed to indicate high concentrations of Karbonite,

2,) To test things, i took one large Karbonite Drill and deployed it next to the Space Center. It worked properly for about two ingame days. After that it stopped. Reason? Resource Depleted. .. Correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't Karbonite supposed to be an inexhaustable resource that can be found everywhere in small quantities? This drill mined only about 600 Karbonite before stopping... It seams silly for a resource to be exhausted from a whole biome by such a small scale mining operation.

Thing is, my mid-long term plan was to make huge orbital stations in orbits around Kerbin and Mun - places to refuel ships going further away from Kerbin. I was looking forward to this (for me) huge logistical mess that would help me later on. Both Stations would be dependent on the Karbonite being mined at Mun.  However, if Karbonite is actually an exhaustable resource, contrary to what all articles on the web say.. my plans for my carefully planned happy future in Kerbal Space all fall to water. :(

Thank you in advance for any insights you can provide.

red balls?  Those are some seriously OLD videos.  That was back from the very early days of @RoverDude's regolith mod, which was the resource engine before they added resources to stock.  These days the scanning makes use of the stock resources system and works the same as finding Ore.

I haven't test mined from the KSC in awhile, but I used to have an operation trickling in karbonite for long periods of time.

14 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

red balls?  Those are some seriously OLD videos.  That was back from the very early days of @RoverDude's regolith mod, which was the resource engine before they added resources to stock.  These days the scanning makes use of the stock resources system and works the same as finding Ore.

I haven't test mined from the KSC in awhile, but I used to have an operation trickling in karbonite for long periods of time.

The person seems to somehow only interact with resource lodes perhaps? Among their 50+ mods could be MKS, which in turn could be (and I know this is unlikely) interfering with the drills somehow. "Red balls" makes me think of Kethane and RemoteTech.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.