[1.12.x] Karbonite/Karbonite Plus (K+)

RoverDude

On 31/10/2016 at 1:33 AM, Kielm said:

I finally got round to doing an asteroid intercept today and came across the problem @Mace from Space is having. 

I'm guessing it's a stock bug, as it happens with no mods installed as well. As always, a picture is worth a thousand words. 

Reveal hidden contents

txPOpNo.jpg

XUiEq8o.jpg

I've put it on the bug tracker, as you can see it happens with no mods as well; but the effect on modded KSP is the same. The resources are still there, you just can't tell what the composition is. 

Okay, so apparently this is not a bug and is working as intended.

Does anyone know what device we are supposed to use to determine the composition of asteroids?

At what altitude is karborandrum present over Kerbol, if i want to collect it with particle collector ?

it says 2000 meters but that really sounds too low as if i get to around 200,000 km mark my ship blows up due to overheating ?

Tried in KPlus 0.6.4.0 in ksp 1.1.3.

Alternatively is there a config file where i can configure the orbital height i.e. set it to cca 2Mm above kerbol

Edited by Grunf911

2 hours ago, Grunf911 said:

At what altitude is karborandrum present over Kerbol, if i want to collect it with particle collector ?

it says 2000 meters but that really sounds too low as if i get to around 200,000 km mark my ship blows up due to overheating ?

Tried in KPlus 0.6.4.0 in ksp 1.1.3.

If you really don't want to use the scanner to look for it:

Spoiler

Check the community resource pack definition for karborundum. Look for the Sun entry.

The altitudes in the file use 1/2 kerbol's equatorial radius as a starting point (for reference: 261,600,000m, so half of that number is altitude = 1).

To find the correct orbit: altitude (in file) x 130,500,000.

Give or take a few thousand kilometres.

20 hours ago, Kielm said:

Hide contents

Check the community resource pack definition for karborundum. Look for the Sun entry.

The altitudes in the file use 1/2 kerbol's equatorial radius as a starting point (for reference: 261,600,000m, so half of that number is altitude = 1).

To find the correct orbit: altitude (in file) x 130,500,000.

Give or take a few thousand kilometres.

Thank you

On 11/3/2016 at 8:53 PM, Kielm said:

After asking around, it looks like there isn't any asteroid scanning equipment any more, since the way scanning/unlocking resource deposit information was updated. 

@RoverDude Any chance we could have something to peek at asteroid composition?

Sure - use the stock surface scanner :)  

1 hour ago, waterlubber said:

Through conclusive testing, I have deduced that there is no way you can scoop karborundum at 2000m anymore.

The Sun has an atmosphere and it rips the craft to shreds, plus the heat, plus the...you know..SUN part.

It moved :wink:

Just now, RoverDude said:

It moved :wink:

The scooping border or the atmosphere?

I got down pretty low, but I didn't see anything. Granted I had ignore max temp on beyond a few hundred thousand km, but still.

What's the new threshold? Probably going to go to Eeloo instead, which is a shame because I liked my idea of a Karborundum cycler that would flyby Kerbin and drop off a few hundred million in magic goo.

On 31/10/2016 at 1:33 AM, Kielm said:

I finally got round to doing an asteroid intercept today and came across the problem @Mace from Space is having. 

I'm guessing it's a stock bug, as it happens with no mods installed as well. As always, a picture is worth a thousand words. 

Hide contents

txPOpNo.jpg

XUiEq8o.jpg

I've put it on the bug tracker, as you can see it happens with no mods as well; but the effect on modded KSP is the same. The resources are still there, you just can't tell what the composition is. 

@RoverDude at the risk of repeating myself, the stock surface scanner doesn't work, and is apparently working as intended for asteroids. Sorry if I'm missing something obvious here, but I'm stuck on this one. Please see the quoted spoiler for screenshots.

1 hour ago, Kielm said:

@RoverDude at the risk of repeating myself, the stock surface scanner doesn't work, and is apparently working as intended for asteroids. Sorry if I'm missing something obvious here, but I'm stuck on this one. Please see the quoted spoiler for screenshots.

@RoverDude can get pretty busy, so patience is best.  You posted 3 times already on the same page of posts.

On 11/5/2016 at 1:40 PM, Kielm said:

-snip snippppp-

That's the kind of answer I've been waiting for, for a long time now since I started probing the CRP. Now does this formula apply only to the Sun or to every celestial body? Does the Range parameter also use this formula?

I write resource allocations and have been trying to understand these two the entire time through trial and error so your answer will make my day.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

8 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

@RoverDude can get pretty busy, so patience is best.  You posted 3 times already on the same page of posts.

Oh I know, the guy has a dozen or more mods to work on in addition to his normal workload, I can't imagine how busy he is. 

I'm not trying to pester, I'm just trying to communicate the problem. I just wanted to respond to this:

2 hours ago, RoverDude said:

to let him know the stock scanner doesn't work. Sorry that wasn't clear :\

4 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

That's the kind of answer I've been waiting for, for a long time now since I started probing the CRP. Now does this formula apply only to the Sun or to every celestial body? Does the Range parameter also use this formula?

I write resource allocations so your answer will make my day.

Every celestial body. Just substitute the equatorial radius for the body you're interested in, remembering that 1/2 the radius = 1. I've no idea why 1/2 the radius was used, but it works ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If I remember correctly, range is the 'thickness' of the resource, but it's been a year or two since I last looked at it so you're probably better off doing some cheat-menu testing with a scanner to work out exactly what the range number equates to (kilometres? fractions of equatorial radius?) than trusting me on the subject. You don't have to start a new save in-between changing the configs, if that helps. Just adjust, load and test. 

1 minute ago, Kielm said:

If I remember correctly, range is the 'thickness' of the resource, but it's been a year or two since I last looked at it so you're probably better off doing some cheat-menu testing with a scanner to work out exactly what the range number equates to (kilometres? fractions of equatorial radius?) than trusting me on the subject. You don't have to start a new save in-between changing the configs, if that helps. Just adjust, load and test. 

I've developed my competency for resource writing from just that-- cheating ships around with scanners attached and knowing I don't need to change saves. I gave up on Range pretty quickly and defaulted to 1 for all planets except one where I said meh and put 50. I can happily go about figuring out Range again because of what I'm trying to do with it and Karbonite and Karborundum. Thanks to you I can put that nail in the coffin and even offer to update the documentation inside the resource files because this line:

//Express all numbers as percentages 0.0-100.0, not 0.0-1.0!

Is partially misleading and very obsolete.

On 23/01/2015 at 1:10 AM, Kielm said:

For the Karborundum definition, I amended the final Sun entry in my installation to be the following:

REGOLITH_PLANETARY_RESOURCE
{
	ResourceName = Karborundum
	ResourceType = 3
	PlanetName = Sun

Distribution
	{
		PresenceChance = 100
		MinAbundance = 1
		MaxAbundance = 5
		MinAltitude = 0
		MaxAltitude = 0.00001
		MinRange = 0.00001
		MaxRange = 0.00001
		Variance = 50
	}
}

This has placed a band of K+ particles tapering off after 2600m to just above the surface of the sun.

I haven't adjusted the abundances or variances from the original entry (yet).

What I learned from playing with this, that others might find useful:

• MinAltitude is a minimum starting point for any band that might be generated. 0 = Equatorial Radius (equivalent to surface/sea level I believe?). In this case 0 = 261,600,000m from the centre of Kerbol - the surface of Kerbol.
  • MaxAltitude is the upper limit for the same, in this case it is 0.00001 x 261,600,000 = 2,616m. Add to Eq. Radius and the upper limit is at 261,602,616 from the centre of Kerbol or 2,616 above the surface.
  • The Min and Max Range specify the thickness of the band that is generated. The above example uses the same multiplier as the altitude does (2,616m) so the band should be between surface and 2,616m, and 2,616m in width/depth/thickness/whatever.

Tested and seems to work without any problems, everything is roughly where I would expect to find it, give or take a few hundred metres (probably due to the variance).

To be perfect the numbers should be 0.0000076452599388379204892966361 (261,602,000 divide by 261,600,000), but this is close enough for me.

Good enough to approximate a band at around 2000m above Kerbol, for anyone that wants it.

@JadeOfMaar

3 hours ago, Shaelvon said:

Need a working link to the older version fo this mod, as an alternative ,pls.

https://github.com/theRagingIrishman/KarbonitePlus. Doesn't have the latest version (7.2) but I think I can fix that easily. @RoverDude if you have any problems with me putting this link up let me know and I'll take it down.

EDIT: Can't find 7.1 but did get 7.2

Edited by TheRagingIrishman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.