[1.12.x] Karbonite/Karbonite Plus (K+)

RoverDude

Download Link:

https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/Karbonite/releases

LOTS OF STUFF CHANGED WITH 1.0 - DELETE YOUR OLD STUFF FIRST!

Introducing Karbonite Plus (K+) - New resources and parts for Karbonite

K+ adds new resource and gameplay elements as well as supporting parts to Karbonite. K+ requires Karbonite (not included) to use.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Enhancements and Changes included in K+

New resource:

Karborundum. Valuable and incredibly fuel efficient, but also very hard to get. It can be harvested on the surfaces of Eeloo and Eve, or by a solar collector within approximately 2000 meters of the sun's surface. Hats off to nli2work for his awesome rover-sized models, and for TMarkos for being awesome and collaborative!

New parts:

• Tiny radial Karbonite/Karborundum drill. 0.625m form factor, can be node or surface attached. Also KAS-portable!
  • Deployable Karborundum scanner (NOTE: Karborundum is only detectable on the surface, or at altitudes lower than approximately 500m over the terrain - so bring your Rovers and nape of the earth (NOE) flyers).
  • New fuel tank - the Karry Kan - great for small quantities of Karbonite or LFO. Comes in two sizes - a surface-mountable single Kan, and a double-Kan (great for the Packrat Rover).
  • Rover-sized generator, for powering your Karborundum operations on the fly. KASable, surface and stack attachable.
  • New radial tanks to store Karborundum in three sizes - a Jumbo radial tank, an inline tank cluster, as well as a 0.625m mini tank. The mini tank is KAS-enabled.
  • A Karborundum sample tank. Luxuriantly expensive, but saves you the trip to eeloo. Made for testing purposes. Warning: Will self-decouple and explode when empty! Hilarity may ensue.
  • A new particle collector with slightly better range (at the cost of efficiency and energy use), allowing it to skim the sun's surface picking up stray Karborundum particles.
  • The Karborundum Fusion Drive (in two sizes - 1.25m and 2.5m) Expensive, incredibly efficient, but require significant EC to operate, and runs on Karborundum.
  • A small but adorable 0.625m Karbonite engine. This one has the added benefit of taking some of the vented exhaust and converting it into monopropellant for later use.

Dev Note: The Karborundum engines are absolutely OP compared to stock engines (we're in KSPI territory with these), This is to balance the absurd difficulty in getting fuel for them. Tech tree wise, Karborundum-specific parts will be under Nuclear Propulsion. Karbonite bits will be under Fuel Systems.

Demo of the Fusion Drive

Configuration files and code are licensed under the GPL v3 license.

Assets, including Models (*.mu) and Textures *.png/*.dds) are All Rights Reserved. If you wish to use any of these assets in your project, just ask nicely :)

Download on GitHub: https://github.com/BobPalmer/KarbonitePlus/releases

Change Log:

0.3.0 - 2014.12.16
[LIST]
[*]KSP 0.90 Compatability
[*]Moved 0.625m Karbonite engine and Karbonite SRBs to the core Karbonite mod.
[*]Moved the Karry Kans, mini drill and mini-generator to the core Karbonite mod.
[*]Added MM config to add Karborundum back to mini drill for K+
[*]Swapped all generators and converters to Regolith
[*]Removed the Liquid Hydrogen requirement from the torch drive, increased ISP, reduced thrust (so they are more... you know... torch drive like).
[*]Added in CTT support.
[*]All K+ harvesting parts are under Resource Exploitation.
[*]Fusion drives are under Fusion Rockets.
[*]Torch Drives are under Exotic Reactions.
[/LIST]

0.2.3 - 2014.11.01
[LIST]
[*]Moved K+ DLL and version file to better support package management
[*]Replaced all PNGs with TGAs
[*]Adjusted KAS containers to better manage state
[*]Fixed name and attachment issues with RAT boosters
[*]Fixed missing model part from inline Karborundum tank
[*]Added two new torch drives in 3.75 and 5m form factors. Because Hohmann transfers are for sissies.
[/LIST]

0.2.2 - 2014.10.07
[LIST]
[*]KSP 0.25 Support
[*]Added ability to shut off Karbonite SRBs
[*]Corrected issue with node spacing for fusion drives
[*]Updated ORSX/USI DLLs
[/LIST]

0.2.1 - 2014.09.28
[LIST]
[*]Updated USI Tools
[*]Fixed bug where Karborundum could be seen from orbit (boo!)
[*]Karborundum tank description now includes max capacity
[*]Added four Karbonite based SRBs in 0.625 and 1.25m form factors. NOTE: While these are very powerful, they also become unstable as speed increases - beware!
[*]Fixed issue with the radial drill not extracting
[*]DRE Support
[*]MFT support for Karborundum
[*]Tweaks to the 0.625m engine
[*]Switched from ORS -> ORSX
[*]Fixed animation on fusion drive 
[/LIST]

0.1.2 - 2014.09.12
[LIST]
[*]Maintenance release - version file, new DLLs with version checking, and a dummy DLL for folks to use with MM to determine if K+ is present (KarbPlus.dll)
[*]Updated to latest USI components
[/LIST]

0.1.1 - 2014.09.07
[LIST]
[*]Added bottom nodes and fairings to all engines
[*]Fixed cost issue with Karborundum tanks
[/LIST]

Edited by RoverDude

I'll check it out later, always felt like having 2 tiers of extractable fuels would add depth to the gameplay.

Karborundum

And the tier 3 fuel will be Karbounicyte? This naming scheme is unsustainable from a usability point of view. Too easy to confuse the resource names - consider renaming it to something more distinctive while it's early.

I'll check it out later, always felt like having 2 tiers of extractable fuels would add depth to the gameplay.

And the tier 3 fuel will be Karbounicyte? This naming scheme is unsustainable from a usability point of view. Too easy to confuse the resource names - consider renaming it to something more distinctive while it's early.

Actually a K name makes sense in this case as Karbonite is a compound, and [K/C]arborundum fits in with that.

- - - Updated - - -

http://i.imgur.com/EG4hgii.jpg

Testing new parts on pad, scanner says broken : ( because no resource? or I did something wrong?

And that new collector. O_O Duuudddde

No Karborundum on Kerbin ;) the 'broken :(' bit is an ORS thing

You do have Karbonite installed correct?

Hi Roverdude,

I'm also having a problem with the KA_Engine_125_02 part, but for me, it's when starting the game. The loading screen hangs on that part, and I end up having to close via Task Manager. I've got a ton of mods installed, so there might be a conflict with one of them, but before I go through the process of testing each one to see which/if one is the culprit, can you think of any general reason why a part would hang on load like that? I do have all my installed USI mods updated.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.