[1.12.x] Karbonite/Karbonite Plus (K+)

RoverDude

@siimav Ah. Well that's a bit of a problem. I normally don't see this due to having Mk2 Expansion installed which adds IntakeAtm to all intakes.

For the time being, drop this into a new config file anywhere in GameData. It will add IntakeAtm to all normal intake parts.

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleResourceIntake],@RESOURCE[IntakeAir],!RESOURCE[IntakeAtm]]:NEEDS[!WarpPlugin,!GTI]
{
	+MODULE[ModuleResourceIntake]{ 
	@resourceName = IntakeAtm
	@checkForOxygen = false
	}

+RESOURCE[IntakeAir]{
	@name = IntakeAtm
	}
}

On 8/14/2017 at 7:04 AM, Tabris said:

for exospheric K+ to be detected does the probe need to be in a polar orbit or will a fly-by work?

Any eccentricity and inclination will work. Just keep your eyes on the scanner's part action window (PAW).

The forum should have a tooltip thing for PAW like it does for LF, USI, dV etc... :huh: 

Edited by JadeOfMaar

@RoverDude you're Karbonite v0.9.2.0 Github patch notes say:

Removed duplicate cfg files for the turbofans and fwd propfans. Also renamed the 750 to a propfan, since it's not a turboprop. (Thanks Voicey99!)

I've downloaded the Zip file and recheck 2-3 times to make sure, and it seems you missed the actual change for this to take effect. Unless this in another separate issue.. then.. ermm.. hi :) 

UmbraSpaceIndustries\Karbonite\Parts\KA_Jet_TurboProp_01.cfg
UmbraSpaceIndustries\Karbonite\Parts\KA_Jet_Radial_01.cfg

Both still have the same: name = KA_Jet_Radial_01

Also- will you be updating the MM version in your Github packages to include MM 2.8.1? A few of them (Including Karbonite) still have 2.8.0 and was wondering if I needed to downgrade MM for MKS et al?

@RoverDude @JadeOfMaar trying to edit parts from the mod to make them more like how I would like them (color changes to eng fx and fuel eff levels) but when i mess with the config (fallowing all instructions I can find) nothing happens or the part just disapears.

if i try and make a new copy. it never shows up. if i try and edit the original it disappears thus needing a reinstall of the mod.

all i am doing is going into the cfg file and altering the color lines (cleanly copy pasting in the lines i want) and changing the 

// --- FX definitions ---
fx_exhaustFlame_white = 0.0, -2.5, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, running
fx_exhaustFlame_blue = 0.0, -5, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, running
fx_exhaustSparks_blue = 0.0, -3, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, running
fx_smokeTrail_medium = 0.0, -4, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, running
fx_exhaustSparks_flameout = 0.0, -2, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, flameout

name = Karbonite
        ratio = 0.5
        DrawGauge = True
        resourceFlowMode = STACK_PRIORITY_SEARCH

PART
{
// Kerbal Space Program - Part Config
// KA-250 Karbonite Fueled Engine
// 

only things iv messed with so far. any idea why nothing changes when I change these settings or make a new confg file FROM the original one?

@wenth The engine(s) you are trying to configure contain the obsolete ModuleEngines. What you want to do is (a lot of work) firstly to rename ModuleEngines into ModuleEnginesFX, compare the parameters that are absent or present between both, and create the related series of associated EFFECTS nodes (outside of ModuleEnginesFX) that will contain visual and audio settings as you're hoping for.

13 minutes ago, wenth said:

// --- FX definitions ---
fx_exhaustFlame_white = 0.0, -2.5, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, running
fx_exhaustFlame_blue = 0.0, -5, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, running
fx_exhaustSparks_blue = 0.0, -3, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, running
fx_smokeTrail_medium = 0.0, -4, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, running
fx_exhaustSparks_flameout = 0.0, -2, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, flameout

This part here I never bothered to study it but from what I can tell, you may have put something invalid here which lead to an NRE and the part not appearing.

For reference for a ModuleEnginesFX, study these engines that do have fancy particles:

• Stock Jets: Panther, Whiplash, Rapier
  • Stock Rockets: Vector (keyword is SSME), Rhino, Mammoth
  • Karborundum Torch Drives.
  • Ignore every other engine. You can tell when it shows the same particle FX as the NERVA, Terrier and Mainsail.

24 minutes ago, wenth said:

name = Karbonite
        ratio = 0.5
        DrawGauge = True
        resourceFlowMode = STACK_PRIORITY_SEARCH

Don't alter the propellant ratio. No harm will come of it but you will find yourself the owner of an interestingly efficient Karbonite rocket (or is that your intention). By halving the ratio here you've effectively doubled its Isp.

Ultimately you can end up with something nice like these cloned engines on the left. They are LFO versions (with blue accents instead of red as per KLF convention) and should have already been sent in a PR to @RoverDude. The 1.25m engine contained (at the time) the FX from the Twin-boar and Vector but I later changed it to the FX used by the 1.25m Torch Drive.

By the way, RoverDude, I'm interested in the change of propellant in the Torch Drives. I see they now take Water instead of Ore.

6svbwpD.jpg

@wenth A propellant's ratio translates into a consumption rate. It will have an effect in-game. The engine will run twice as long on the same tank of fuel as it did before your edit.

If you need more advice, feel free to start a thread in the Addon Discussion board and tag me. Let's not hijack this thread.

Also if you make pretty FX, feel free to share.

@JadeOfMaar - decided water made for a more accurate reaction mass (also you can get it from ore and some other resources in a pinch).  Also folks may or may not have noticed that torch ships now work under high warp (though not on rails yet).

7 hours ago, Tabris said:

@JadeOfMaar, i have already logged a github issue #252 regarding that

I'll add this to my PR. :) Done.

5 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Also if you make pretty FX, feel free to share.

@JadeOfMaar - decided water made for a more accurate reaction mass (also you can get it from ore and some other resources in a pinch).  Also folks may or may not have noticed that torch ships now work under high warp (though not on rails yet).

I thought so. Water does have some wonderful, combustible constituents. :wink: And it gives quite a lot more use to the Karbonite Distillers and Ocean Pump.

Edited by JadeOfMaar
added to PR

8 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I'll add this to my PR. :) 

I thought so. Water does have some wonderful, combustible constituents. :wink: And it gives quite a lot more use to the Karbonite Distillers and Ocean Pump.

Even without breaking it down, water makes a decent reaction mass.  You want low mass molecules for that for the best ISP, and water is lighter than a lot of atoms, while being easier to work with than the ones that are lighter at 'normal' temperatures because of it's liquid state.  Add in that in an emergency you can switch use between life support and propulsion as needed, and the fact that it makes decent radiation shielding as well, and you've got a really useful material.

I just installed karbonite via ckan, and I have the karborundum engines, but, as far as I can tell, no way to actually store karborundum.

EDIT: I am an idiot, the spherical tanks work.

Edited by blub01

Thanks for this great mod! I love the idea and so far I had great fun using it, but I have some questions :)

Having read through this thread the best I could I still have some questions regarding Karbonite and Karborundum fueled engines. If those questions have been answered please excuse me. So the questions are:

1. Is this intended that Karbonite fueled propfan engines (except for radial ones) have such high demand of IntakeAtm? Namely, both front and aft mounted KAE-UHB propfans require 275+ Intake Atm and cannot in fact run on its own. Radial mounted engine has both its thrust and propellant requirements on much lower levels (requires only 39+ Intake Atm). Since mass of those engines is similar and this pattern is not visible on their Liquid Fuel counterparts, I wonder if this is intended and maybe a work in progress?

2. Torch drives seem to lose very little of their thrust and Isp in the atmosphere on Kerbin, but on Eve below certain altitude they plummet like crazy. I tested the smallest KFD-100 Torch drive and on Eve ASL it has just around 20kN of thrust making is completely useless. Seeing as this is highly non-linear and somewhat much different from stock engines behavior, I wonder if this is again intended or just an improper extrapolation of the Isp curve into higher atm pressure regions?

If I'm missing something obvious please excuse me.

I feel like a noob having to ask...

I am having no luck mapping any karbonite deposits.  I checked the SCANSat maps, and the regular map in the tracking center.  The Karbonite Detection array will show me some percentages, but trying to display the locations on a map doesn't seem to work.  I have looked around for solutions, but have come up empty handed.  I mined some at KSC, so the mod is working, but I must have missed out on how to actually find good spots (The Mun, and Minmus are both locations I wanted to mine).

What am I not doing right?  (all mods are up to date).

20 hours ago, Thrimm said:

Thanks for this great mod! I love the idea and so far I had great fun using it, but I have some questions :)

Having read through this thread the best I could I still have some questions regarding Karbonite and Karborundum fueled engines. If those questions have been answered please excuse me. So the questions are:

1. Is this intended that Karbonite fueled propfan engines (except for radial ones) have such high demand of IntakeAtm? Namely, both front and aft mounted KAE-UHB propfans require 275+ Intake Atm and cannot in fact run on its own. Radial mounted engine has both its thrust and propellant requirements on much lower levels (requires only 39+ Intake Atm). Since mass of those engines is similar and this pattern is not visible on their Liquid Fuel counterparts, I wonder if this is intended and maybe a work in progress?

2. Torch drives seem to lose very little of their thrust and Isp in the atmosphere on Kerbin, but on Eve below certain altitude they plummet like crazy. I tested the smallest KFD-100 Torch drive and on Eve ASL it has just around 20kN of thrust making is completely useless. Seeing as this is highly non-linear and somewhat much different from stock engines behavior, I wonder if this is again intended or just an improper extrapolation of the Isp curve into higher atm pressure regions?

If I'm missing something obvious please excuse me.

It was intended, given the descriptions on the UHB propfans that the should be stupidly powerful and resource hungry within their performance envelope. I can't say for sure anyone as someone changed specs in a few engines after me, likely including these. There is also a fault in Karbonite that it doesn't include any form of provision for as effective input of IntakeAtm as for intakeAir so currently they're doomed to starve for a propellant.

The Torch drives had their Isp curves changed along with their now accepting Water instead of Ore. I'm no wizard but I believe that either there is an error in this curve or Torch drives are intended to no longer work on places like Eve... Which would be quite a bummer. :/

@RoverDude Is this right?

atmosphereCurve //current setup
{
	key = 0 25000 0 0
	key = 0 175 0 0 //is there supposed to be a leading 0 in this second key?
	key = 6 0 0 0
}

atmosphereCurve //previous setup
{
	key = 0 5000
	key = 1 3500
	key = 6 2500
}
19 hours ago, khadgarion said:

I feel like a noob having to ask...

I am having no luck mapping any karbonite deposits.  I checked the SCANSat maps, and the regular map in the tracking center.  The Karbonite Detection array will show me some percentages, but trying to display the locations on a map doesn't seem to work.  I have looked around for solutions, but have come up empty handed.  I mined some at KSC, so the mod is working, but I must have missed out on how to actually find good spots (The Mun, and Minmus are both locations I wanted to mine).

What am I not doing right?  (all mods are up to date).

Are your percentages all pretty low? Perhaps the RNG has dealt you a bad hand. Create a new save and see if things turn out better.

11 hours ago, Nathangun said:

Is this and Karbonite compatible with RSS?

It is. Karbonite will appear on every planet by default.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.