[1.12.x] Karbonite/Karbonite Plus (K+)

RoverDude

1 hour ago, Omar X said:

Cool. Thanks so much for your quick response. Now I just have to figure out how convert/collect karborundum. Not finding much about it. Thanks again.

It has been awhile but IIRC its on the surface of EVE, low solar orbit and eeloo.  It is very rare.  You can look at the CRP config file where all of the resources are defined.

21 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

It has been awhile but IIRC its on the surface of EVE, low solar orbit and eeloo.  It is very rare.  You can look at the CRP config file where all of the resources are defined.

Cool. Thanks so much.

You might find this interesting. I'm playing a modified, "American Capitalist" career game, centered around building business on borrowed money and insane levels of unsecured debt. I started a career game, but with all tech, progress, etc. at max setting from the beginning. I'm borrowing from the "Alt F12 Bank" as often and as much as needed to build my program, stations, bases, so effectively deficit spending with the gullible F12 investor until such point as I can begin to manufacture/recover resources to sell back, settle the debt, and maaaaybe pay dividends. Of course, any science collected is converted to funds via contract in the Admin Building. Eventually, the tremendous, nearly hopeless debt should be satisfied, and profits gained. Obviously, such a high dollar commodity as Karborundum is of great value in this scenario. If it all falls thru, or I just get tired of trying, oh well. The rich, business un-savvy F12 investor fool is just out of luck. He should have been more careful with his money. Lol.

• 2 weeks later...

So this may be a stupid question, but - does the Particle Collector still work nowadays?  Reading the thread and the config files, it sounds like it *should* be possible to collect Karbonite in Kerbin orbit at around (600x0.245=) ...147 km altitude, but once I get a scoop up there, there's Nothing To Harvest.  And the 'Open Karbonite Collector' button does nothing.

Am I doing it wrong, or is it full of bees?

On 2/8/2020 at 3:44 AM, ChrisF0001 said:

So this may be a stupid question, but - does the Particle Collector still work nowadays?  Reading the thread and the config files, it sounds like it *should* be possible to collect Karbonite in Kerbin orbit at around (600x0.245=) ...147 km altitude, but once I get a scoop up there, there's Nothing To Harvest.  And the 'Open Karbonite Collector' button does nothing.

Am I doing it wrong, or is it full of bees?

hmmm... should not be full of bees.  Is the opening not even working?

3 hours ago, RoverDude said:

hmmm... should not be full of bees.  Is the opening not even working?

The 'dish' deploys and retracts on command, but when it's open and the 'Open Karbonite Collector' button is present it appears to do nothing when pressed - no animations, no changing to 'Close...', as if the button isn't connected up.  Is there expected to be an observable effect even if there's nothing to collect?

25 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

There should not be an observable effect other than a very very slow Karbonite increase.

Hmm... I guess the problem is just that there isn't any then.  I thought my maths / config file comprehension was correct, but maybe not!...

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Using the latest constellation, there is karborundum in abundance around the Sun, starting at minimum range (before one dies of heat) all the way past jool (maybe further).

Exospheric karbonite seems ok though,

Edited by kilfour
additional info

• 2 months later...

I'm running an older version (for 1.7.3) and I noticed that there are two 1.25m atmospheric scoops (the 400-LA, and the 400-LX).  There's not much difference in their part .cfg file except a single line in the scoop.  The 400-LX has this, whereas the 400-LA does not:

intakeTransformName = spareTransform
        airSpeedStatic = 5000

Do I need both of these scoops for some reason?  I can't tell if the 400-LA is necessary. 

Looking to delete unnecessary stuff :3

23 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Sarxis One of those parts is also broken and unusable, I think. Watch out for that.

I went and did some testing and they both seem to be working 'ok' so far.  The LX is harvesting Karbonite a lot faster though - like, cheaty fast.   

I'll keep an eye open for anything else aberrational.   :3

Hi, there is some issue with the advanced particle collector. When I launch it, it works pretty well, I can harvest Karbonite and so on. But if I go to the map screen and back, it stops working. there are no "open Karbonite/Karborundum harvester" buttons, and resource data is also not shown. Retracting it and deploying again does not change anything. Switching to another craft and back also doesn't help.

Here is the screenshots before and after switching to the map screen:

Spoiler

image.png

image.png
(Yes, my game is on Russian, but I think it is clear that these buttons aren't there)

So, I am playing KSP 1.12.2, here is list of my mods:

Spoiler

KSP: 1.12.2 (Win64) - Unity: 2019.4.18f1 - OS: Windows 10  (10.0.0) 64bit
000_AT_Utils - 1.9.6
ClickThroughBlocker - 0.1.10.17
Filter Extensions - 3.2.6.1
Harmony - 2.0.4
Toolbar - 1.8.0.7
USI Tools - 112.0
ToolbarControl - 0.1.9.6
KSP-Recall - 0.2.0.6
B9 Part Switch - 2.18
BAM - 1.3.3.4
Benjee10_MMSEV - 1.0.1
Benjee10_sharedAssets - 0.1.1
BetterTimeWarpContinued - 2.3.12.9
Bon Voyage - 1.4
CameraTools - 1.19.1
Chatterer - 0.9.99.2788
CollisionFX-ReUpdated - 1.1
Community Category Kit - 0.0.0.112
Community Resource Pack - 112.0
CommunityTechTree - 3.4.4
ConfigurableContainers - 2.6.1
Connected Living Space - 2.0.0.6
CryoEngines - 2.0.5
CryoTanks - 1.6.3
AdvancedTextures - 1.8.1
DecouplerShroud - 0.7.2
DeployableEngines - 1.3.1
DistantObjectEnhancement - 2.2
DynamicBatteryStorage - 2.2.5
Easy Vessel Switch - 2.3.7852.41352
Environmental Visual Enhancements - 1.8.0.2
Firespitter - 112.0
FShangarExtender - 3.6
GrannusExpansionPack - 1.2.5
GalileosPlanetPack - 1.6.7
GroundConstruction - 2.6.4.1
HabTechProps - 0.1
HideEmptyTechTreeNodes - 1.3
HullcamVDSContinued - 0.2.1.3
RasterPropMonitor - 0.31.5
KAS - 1.10.7963.36977
KerbalAtomics - 1.3.2
Kerbal Engineer Redux - 1.1.9
KerbalKonstructs - 1.8.1.15
Feline Utility Rover - 1.3.3
Kerbal Inventory System - 1.28.7685.40880
Kopernicus - 1.12.1.59
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.4.1.8
Module Manager Watch Dog - 1.0.1.1
Docking Port Alignment Indicator - 6.9.2.2
NearFutureAeronautics - 2.1.1
NearFutureConstruction - 1.3.1
NearFutureElectrical - 1.2.3
NearFutureExploration - 1.1.2
NearFutureLaunchVehicles - 2.2
NearFutureProps - 0.7.1
NearFuturePropulsion - 1.3.5
NearFutureSolar - 1.3.2
NearFutureSpacecraft - 1.4.3
PartInfo - 0.0.6.2
Persistent Thrust - 1.7.2
Kerbal Planetary Base Systems - 1.6.14
ReentryParticleEffectRenewed - 1.9.1.1
SCANsat - 1.20.4
StationPartsExpansionRedux - 2.0.5
ThrottleControlledAvionics - 3.7.2
Trajectories - 2.4.3
TweakScale - 2.4.5.1
TweakScale Companion for Visuals - 0.1
Asteroid Recycling Tech - 112.0
USI Exploration Pack - 1.4
Freight Transport Tech - 112.0
Karbonite - 112.0
Konstruction - 112.0
MKS - 112.0
USI Survivability Pack - 0.6.2
USI Core - 112.0
Waterfall - 0.6.7
Kerbal Actuators - 1.8.4

Is it known issue, and is there any ways to fix it?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Version 112.0.1 of Karbonite/K+ has been released, and the thread has been updated to reflect the updated download location and KSP version supported.  CKAN should also be catching up for those of you who use it.  You can also nab the latest release here:

https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/Karbonite/releases

This is pretty much what was in the bleeding edge releases for 1.11, plus a few small tweaks.  Barring any major issues, this is likely going to be the release we stick with for the foreseeable future, as @DoktorKrogg and I are both neck deep in a new indie game we're both working on :)  

So while we're totally still around and active in the forums and on the USI discord, I would not anticipate any major new USI releases, at least in the short term, though there are still a few major things we both want to knock out (including updating all of the wheels, and some other large system changes).

Lastly, a couple of handy links.  First, the discord server for all things USI (though this also covers our new game as well), and a reminder that I'll be doing a bunch of streaming around game dev (mostly the art side, so Blender, Substance, Unity, etc.). though it's going to be exclusively work on the new game, vs KSP stuff.  

Discord:  https://discord.gg/FNBwUXRgX8

Twitch:  https://www.twitch.tv/RoverDude

Enjoy!  And make sure to let us know if any bees got into the build process.  If so, we'll do a fast follower in a week or two if necessary to update the releases.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
Spoiler

KhYEmOo.png

Is it normal to have Karborundum availability increase with distance from the sun?

I wasn't sure what was going on with my distribution so I ran a quick test, only thing I can think of which might cause this is Kopernicus but I don't have any other stars in the game. Is this just a chance based thing or something wrong?

On 4/7/2023 at 12:55 PM, Kielm said:

Is it normal to have Karborundum availability increase with distance from the sun?

It's a stock bug. The resource band size is primarily affected by the size of the celestial body that hosts it. For some reason, when the band size's final value exceeds some point the abundance curve becomes inverse. Abundance becomes 0% where it should be the highest. Away from there, abundance becomes infinity. You won't see this problem with planets because you'll never want or expect a planet to host a resource band that spans integers of AU distance, but it easily happens with stars because of the involvement of a star's huge body radius value.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

Hi everyone,

Maybe i'm dumb but i can't find any Karborundum tanks i can only see Karbonite tanks.

I have tried with only USI - Karbonite mod and dependencies installed with CKAN.

KSP 1.12.5.3190

Karbonite, USI Core, USI Tools, CRP  112.0.1

Firespitter Core 7.17

Module Manager 4.2.2

Thnaks in advance for your time reading me.

Edited by Cuj0

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.