[1.12.x] Karbonite/Karbonite Plus (K+)

RoverDude

2 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Here's the update preview. Try it out and let me know what you think. 0KB copies of config files with original names are temporarily included so you just have to drag&drop to install.

If you will @Norcalplanner I'd like you to try this as well since you've done a lot with Karbonite. Scroll up a bit for my post with details and pictures.

I'm going to be pretty busy the next few days, but I should be able to give this a go by Friday or Saturday.  Thanks for working on this.

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/04/2017 at 3:33 PM, N3N said:

Hey,

I'm having the same issue like documented here:

https://github.com/BobPalmer/Karbonite/issues/221

Do somebody have a solution or at least a explanation for this?

I raised this as a bug via the bug tracker back in November and was told the stock surface scanner doesn't do what I think it does (okay...)

I mentioned it in this thread after that and was told to use the stock surface scanner.

Thats about all I know.

The issue is still open on GitHub so I'd say it's still a problem with no solution. Sorry :/ 

On 11/04/2017 at 1:31 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

I have just one question. What should the upper limit for the turbojet's performance look like? Currently its expected TWR at Mach 4 is 0.5 and to cut out at Mach 5. Should I extend its power curve to end at Mach 6? Given how the exhaust port looks, with all that grill stuff, I held back.

@Kielm @goldenpsp Suggestions?

Reveal hidden contents

43Kzwuu.png

Sorry I'm a bit late to the party on this one. I'd be interested in seeing how they perform at altitude to be honest - the problem with the old jets wasn't thrust, it was how the performance just disappeared at altitude - at least, that's the problem I had using them in jets, anyway.

Looking forward to trying them out when I get back into KSP though :) 

@Kielm I'm well aware of that and I dealt with that too. The atm curve is made fairly unrealistic, steep and enabling the engines to hold great TWR at many pressures/altitudes and then finally start to drop off in the pressure ranges relative to Duna sea level. But the vel curves should very effectively compensate and ensure a feeling of realism in performances.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, maybe I can get here a answer for this:

Is there a way to make a more efficient/bigger Karbonite Drill?

Or even better, do let the (Automated) Industrial Strip Miner drill for Karbonite/Karborundum!

Please! :wink:

20 minutes ago, N3N said:

Hey, maybe I can get here a answer for this:

Is there a way to make a more efficient/bigger Karbonite Drill?

Or even better, do let the (Automated) Industrial Strip Miner drill for Karbonite/Karborundum!

Please! :wink:

You could make yourself an MM patch.

Just now, N3N said:

How?

I'm new to MM patches.

Read the modulemanager thread (especially the OP) and look at some cfg files.  It's really not terribly complex and worth learning.  @RoverDude didn't make large drills for balance reasons etc so it is unlikely you will get officially larger drills.

10 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

Read the modulemanager thread (especially the OP) and look at some cfg files.  It's really not terribly complex and worth learning.  @RoverDude didn't make large drills for balance reasons etc so it is unlikely you will get officially larger drills.

OK,

I try. :wink:

Another question: When I try to find karbonite parts, I cant find anything (particularly Karborundum Fusion Drive, I need it for something) is there a way of fixing it? 

3 minutes ago, Voyager1Fan5213 said:

Another question: When I try to find karbonite parts, I cant find anything (particularly Karborundum Fusion Drive, I need it for something) is there a way of fixing it? 

If the fusion drive is from another mod, please tell the mod :blush:

30 minutes ago, Voyager1Fan5213 said:

You have the correct mod.  @RoverDude created a "Community Category" mod that doesn't look like it bundles with Karbonite, but I'm not sure if it is needed.  It is used heavily by other USI mods.

42 minutes ago, Voyager1Fan5213 said:

KarbonitePlus is inside the same install folder (UmbraSpaceIndustries) with Karbonite. If you see that folder then you should have Ka+

Also, search Ark, KAE, kar, KFD, KLF, KVE... in the parts list and you will see portions of these mods' engines and other things per keyword. KFD will reveal Karborundum engines.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

8 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

KarbonitePlus is inside the same install folder (UmbraSpaceIndustries) with Karbonite. If you see that folder then you should have Ka+

Also, search Ark, KAE, kar, KFD, KLF, KVE... in the parts list and you will see portions of these mods' engines and other things per keyword. KFD will reveal Karborundum engines.

16 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

You have the correct mod.  @RoverDude created a "Community Category" mod that doesn't look like it bundles with Karbonite, but I'm not sure if it is needed.  It is used heavily by other USI mods.

H-Woops :blush: I installed the mod incorrectly... my bad, just realized. Thanks!

Is there a reason the KFD-200 2.5m torch drive's isp is lower than all the other torch drives? It seems to be 'off curve' with the others - the KFD-100 has 7500s, the 200 has 5000s, the 300 has 10000s, and the 500 has 12000.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If Karbonite is now covered here as well, I might make the observation that the 750-series prop engines are referred to ingame as turboprops but their design is that of a propfan, like the others.

2 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

If Karbonite is now covered here as well, I might make the observation that the 750-series prop engines are referred to ingame as turboprops but their design is that of a propfan, like the others.

Sounds like an easy pull request.

1 minute ago, goldenpsp said:

Sounds like an easy pull request.

It's interesting, because the cfg file is titled 'Jet_Turboprop_01', but the cfg name name of it is 'Jet_Propfan_01' and the ingame name is 'Radial Turboprop Engine' again.

1 minute ago, voicey99 said:

It's interesting, because the cfg file is titled 'Jet_Turboprop_01', but the cfg name name of it is 'Jet_Propfan_01' and the ingame name is 'Radial Turboprop Engine' again.

Just don't change the cfg name of it if you can avoid it - that leads to breaking saves. :wink: 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.