[1.12.x] Karbonite/Karbonite Plus (K+)

RoverDude

That's the intent :) Kill switch added in the next version

Actually, I had one test ship where I'd jerry-rigged a kill switch by having the KSRBs feed from a central Karbonite tank, which I could then lock to cut off their fuel supply :D

But a built-in kill switch would certainly be welcome!

regarding those karbonite SRBs. yes, they are great fun.

I encountered some sort of bug: in the VAB, they have a context menu, allowing to limit the boost, as it is with normal SRBs. the only difference is: they always fire at 100%, regardless of the given value (for example 10%). only if it is set to 0%, they follow that command and don't run at all (funny, having an SRB that burns forever and doesn't give any trust.

regarding those karbonite SRBs. yes, they are great fun.

I encountered some sort of bug: in the VAB, they have a context menu, allowing to limit the boost, as it is with normal SRBs. the only difference is: they always fire at 100%, regardless of the given value (for example 10%). only if it is set to 0%, they follow that command and don't run at all (funny, having an SRB that burns forever and doesn't give any trust.

That's probably the thrust adjustment tweaking in... let me tone that part down and see if that fixes the issue. If you or someone could log a github issue that would be nice

would it be possible to have karbonite use the kethane resource harvesting engine? i dont like how it uses ORS with infinite resource mining IIRC and i like the hex base system where you either gather kethane at a certain rate or none at all, but it seems like a pretty big hassle. although wouldnt it just take some CFG changes and CFG additions?

would it be possible to have karbonite use the kethane resource harvesting engine? i dont like how it uses ORS with infinite resource mining IIRC and i like the hex base system where you either gather kethane at a certain rate or none at all, but it seems like a pretty big hassle. although wouldnt it just take some CFG changes and CFG additions?

Please see the info in the first post RE Kethane vs. Karbonite.

(Actually, realized this is in the K+ thread... so I have re-posted the relevant section of that thread for you)

How does this differ from Kethane?

• Karbonite is based on the Open Resource System from FractalUK and used in KSP-I. Kethane uses it's own resource engine.
  • Karbonite is concentration based, Kethane has discreet deposits.
  • Karbonite pushes you to select richer deposits for better efficiency. Kethane is all or nothing - either a spot has Kethane or it does not.
  • Karbonite's resources are inexhaustible. Kethane's resource deposits can be depleted.
  • Kethane uses a planetary scanning mechanism, Karbonite shows high-concentration 'hot spots' out of the box without scanning (though prettier SCANSat integration is available, including some amazing graphic overlays).
  • Karbonite has open licensing (CC 4.0) for all assets - code, models, textures, etc. Kethane's licensing model, while now partially open, restricts reuse of some of the assets.
  • Kethane deposits are land based only. Karbonite can be found in oceans and atmospheres too (Oceans of rocket fuel on Eve, cloud harvesting on Jool).

Why not just extend Kethane? Will there be Kethane compatibility?

Kethane already has a perfectly good Kethane analogue... it's called Kethane. So if you want to mine a fuel-type resource using the Kethane platform, then by all means, use Kethane. It really is the best Kethane alternative that is derived from Kethane. Karbonite is a community driven alternative with friendlier licensing and different mechanics. I say this tongue in cheek, as some of the folks involved in the original Karbonite thread will recall, we had a request for Kethane integration pretty much daily (though it felt like hourly ;)). In short, if you love Kethane, then rock on! If you want something different, then hop on over..

Completely different systems. Karbonite uses ORS and kethane uses its own proprietary resource engine.

Have you really used Karbonite much? While technically the resource is infinite, in reality non-hotspots are so low in resources the extraction rate is sooooo slow it might as well be depleted. Sure if you time accelerate for weeks you will eventually fill your tanks...

I have to ask, if you prefer kethane then why not use it?

My guess, especially since this is the K+ thread is that while some might like the resource engine of kethane, Karbonite and K+ have way cooler parts to play with.

ya, but this is a bit like saying "i really like the engine of my Ford F-9750 Hemi-super-heavy-hauler-duty-horse, but i wish i could drive it like a import drift racer"† they are very different use cases and have all kinds of different systems and design assumptions, you can't just knock one out and slap the other in.

†: the editor would like to apologize for the lax and sloppy analogy. the author has been summarily disciplined, and wishes to say "sorry, cars are not really my thing."‡

‡: the editor would like to apologize for the lax and sloppy apology. the author has been disciplined, again.

Need more boosters.

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.

In fact with the OKS/MKS mod needing smart Kerbals I find myself having to recruit tons of really stupid ones to get a few smart ones. So, two birds with one stone...

DXjG2Gi.png

IS8PUPX.png

For the second test batch I found it hilarious that the guy in the middle clearly knows this isn't a good idea and he is in a Bad Place.

pomr1kw.png

EUWzmhe.png

Boy, they hit about 1,000 m/s and they're just uncontrollable.

For the first 8km or so on most payloads though they're not a bad choice; with the ability to tweak the fuel payload in them I'm finding with a little practice they're a cheap way to pile on that extra 600-1k dV you need for getting some of the bigger payloads you need up. They've got an excellent T/W ratio and the rocket is generally cheaper than the separator. You just can't use them on light/fast payloads or you're going to have a bad time. For big, slow, heavy payloads though they are an excellent booster choice.

For just hucking a Kerbal into space though, that's never going to stop being funny.

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.

In fact with the OKS/MKS mod needing smart Kerbals I find myself having to recruit tons of really stupid ones to get a few smart ones. So, two birds with one stone...

http://i.imgur.com/DXjG2Gi.png

http://i.imgur.com/IS8PUPX.png

For the second test batch I found it hilarious that the guy in the middle clearly knows this isn't a good idea and he is in a Bad Place.

http://i.imgur.com/pomr1kw.png

http://i.imgur.com/EUWzmhe.png

Boy, they hit about 1,000 m/s and they're just uncontrollable.

For the first 8km or so on most payloads though they're not a bad choice; with the ability to tweak the fuel payload in them I'm finding with a little practice they're a cheap way to pile on that extra 600-1k dV you need for getting some of the bigger payloads you need up. They've got an excellent T/W ratio and the rocket is generally cheaper than the separator. You just can't use them on light/fast payloads or you're going to have a bad time. For big, slow, heavy payloads though they are an excellent booster choice.

For just hucking a Kerbal into space though, that's never going to stop being funny.

Thank you for making me LOL with that one :)

I absolutely insist you post that middle image to reddit.

Which reddit? I don't normally go there for KSP stuff there seems to be a bunch of subs for it.

I took a bunch of snaps of that guy; what he lacked in intelligence he seemed to make up for in a sense of self-preservation. The blonde girl next to him though, the whole time she's thinking this is the best ride EVER.

By sheer luck the second run got far higher up before splitting - I was amazed at how far some of them got:

tzvWM1G.png

Two of them look like they'll actually pass Dunas orbit, one will actually shave inside Eves orbit. They'll all be quite, quite dead thanks to TALC of course but these guys may technically be the first Kerbals to venture completely beyond Kerbins SOI in this playthough.

I took a ton of screenshots, this ended up my favorite. I'm calling it 'The Commute'.

zQu0etB.png

Those miniature parts, especially the drill. THANK YOU NIL2WORK! I have been waiting for small drills for AGES. Again, thank you!

EDIT: Tried it. Loved it. Wished it also included a mini converter, but what can you do?

Edited by Sgt. Cookie

0.2.2 IS UP!

Works on both 0.24.2 as well as 0.25. You can also get an all-in-one release from Dropbox.

• KSP 0.25 Support
  • Added ability to shut off Karbonite SRBs
  • Corrected issue with node spacing for fusion drives
  • Updated ORSX/USI DLLs

Having a few issues with the Karbonite+ addition for the USI mods. (I have MKS/OKS, Karbonite, K+, and FTT).

The loading cuts out at the 1.25m KA Engine.

Heres a snippet of the last few lines of the log:

[LOG 19:31:50.021] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'UmbraSpaceIndustries/Karbonite/Parts/KA_Tank_Radial_01/KA_Tank_Radial_01/KA_Tank_Radial_01'
[LOG 19:31:50.028] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'UmbraSpaceIndustries/Karbonite/Parts/KA_Tank_VTS_01/KA_Tank_VTS_01/KA_Tank_VTS_01'
[ERR 19:31:50.035] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'KASModuleGrab'

[LOG 19:31:50.040] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'UmbraSpaceIndustries/KarbonitePlus/Parts/KA_Drill_Radial_04/KA_Drill_Radial_04'
[ERR 19:31:50.048] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'KASModuleGrab'

[LOG 19:31:50.055] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'UmbraSpaceIndustries/KarbonitePlus/Parts/KA_Engine_125_02/KA_Engine_125_02'
[EXC 19:31:50.062] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
PartLoader.ReplaceTextures (UnityEngine.GameObject model, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 textureNames, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 newTextures)
PartLoader.CompileModel (.UrlConfig cfg, .ConfigNode partCfg, Single scaleFactor)
PartLoader.ParsePart (.UrlConfig urlConfig, .ConfigNode node)
PartLoader+.MoveNext ()

Note: I believe ModuleManager is adding the error for KASModuleGrab, but unsure if its related.

Having a few issues with the Karbonite+ addition for the USI mods... The loading cuts out at the 1.25m KA Engine...

Note: I believe ModuleManager is adding the error for KASModuleGrab, but unsure if its related.

Simplest thing you can do for debuging purposes, is to remove that part from your gamedata, and see if the game still throws errors and whatnot.

If its still giving you trouble, it means you have to do the "proper messing around" thing: Remove all your mods (temp backup someplace else, or either a fresh new installation of the game) and only have the MKS mods.

So that way you know if its some specific part that does trouble, or a mod conflict, or whatever.

Having a few issues with the Karbonite+ addition for the USI mods. (I have MKS/OKS, Karbonite, K+, and FTT).

The loading cuts out at the 1.25m KA Engine.

i`m have same problem

[LOG 14:49:49.158] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'UmbraSpaceIndustries/KarbonitePlus/Parts/KA_Engine_125_02/KA_Engine_125_02'
[EXC 14:49:49.161] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
PartLoader.ReplaceTextures (UnityEngine.GameObject model, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 textureNames, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 newTextures)
PartLoader.CompileModel (.UrlConfig cfg, .ConfigNode partCfg, Single scaleFactor)
PartLoader+.MoveNext ()

after removing KA_Engine_125_02 parts, game started fine

minimum mods installed (only 0.25 rebuilded, except Firespitter & Toolbar)

i`m have same problem

[LOG 14:49:49.158] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'UmbraSpaceIndustries/KarbonitePlus/Parts/KA_Engine_125_02/KA_Engine_125_02'
[EXC 14:49:49.161] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
PartLoader+.MoveNext ()

after removing KA_Engine_125_02 parts, game started fine

minimum mods installed (only 0.25 rebuilded, except Firespitter & Toolbar)

It's likely Firespitter which has not been updated. This will actually load by the way, just run KSP a second time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wish Tweakscale worked with K+, being able to turn the 2.5m into a larger fusion drive would be nice, right now I just cluster them in sets of 5. lol

Also I don't understand the solar collector at all, it needs to be under 2000m, but at that height you can't speed up time so its basically pointless. Even if you edit the thing so you can set the time warp to max, it still takes nearly a year to fill a FTT Karborudum sphere and thats with a grid of them. Is it ment to be a joke item, the rubber banana of KSP? lol

Edited by Sarda

Also I don't understand the solar collector at all, it needs to be under 2000m, but at that height you can't speed up time so its basically pointless. Even if you edit the thing so you can set the time warp to max, it still takes nearly a year to fill a FTT Karborudum sphere and thats with a grid of them. Is it ment to be a joke item, the rubber banana of KSP? lol

My first batch of collectors are just about to reach Kerbol, so I have yet to test this - But, I assume that as the Collector manages to collect Argon, Oxygen and Karbonite from Kerbin Orbit while **On Rails, it will do the same for Karborundum.

I usually have a lot of missions running at the same time, so switching back and forth between craft and time accelerating elsewhere should work as it does with most (if not all) of the USI mods.

I will likely send a collector every in game month to get a regular supply up and running while setting up bases in orbit, on moons and planets in various locations around the Kerbol system.

** While 'On Rails' is not really collecting in the background - it is a calculation of how much time has passed since the vessel was last in focus in order to work out how much has been done (collecting/processing/etc) while you have been away.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.