[1.12.x] Karbonite/Karbonite Plus (K+)

RoverDude

Shouldn't the single karry can be half the weight and take up half the space when stored? as it stands, why use it at all? Love the rest of the mod though. I love being able to build a small mining rig on site if needed.

Is it possible to store the tanks empty? (by storing I mean putting in kas containers)

And I changed the single karry can stats myself for now. But you still might want to throw that in the next release. ;)

Oh, and why are some tanks under the utility tab? Shouldn't they be under the propulsion tab?

Edited by ouch

(I can't search the thread to check if this has been answered already because the forums search function won't handle 3 letter words.)

Ok so this is weird. the config file and the editor popup says the karry kans are 0.01 tons each(both single and dual), but mechjeb, kerbal engineer, the tweakable pop up, and the center of mass indicator are all telling me it weighs 0.25 tons dry. If someone could tell me what's going on I'd appreciate it.

Edited by passinglurker

Hey guys, first, thank you RoverDude for this awesome mod I very like it :)

I'd like some advices on the particle collector.I built a big solar plant with this part (around 90 parts) and i tried to circularise my orbit, but it's absolutely impossible to have apo and peri at the same altitude. When I burn prograde at apo, with such a low orbit, both apo and peri are changing. They will always be like 2700 and 1400. It's not possible to have 2000/2000.

Maybe there is something i did not understand with very very low orbits ?

I tried with HyperEdit too, and the same thing happens when i set my orbit at 2000, it will be 1300 and 2100.

Also, when i go to the space center and back to the station (to increase time acceleration or to fly another ship) , the orbit has lost 300 meters, and the station dives into Kerbol. The orbit won't stabilize

Actually it seems like the only way to obtain this precious fuel for me is mining on Eve or Eoloo

EDIT: I'm using Engineer to know those numbers

Edited by Syd

Hey guys, first, thank you RoverDude for this awesome mod I very like it :)

I'd like some advices on the particle collector.I built a big solar plant with this part (around 90 parts) and i tried to circularise my orbit, but it's absolutely impossible to have apo and peri at the same altitude. When I burn prograde at apo, with such a low orbit, both apo and peri are changing. They will always be like 2700 and 1400. It's not possible to have 2000/2000.

Maybe there is something i did not understand with very very low orbits ?

I tried with HyperEdit too, and the same thing happens when i set my orbit at 2000, it will be 1300 and 2100.

Also, when i go to the space center and back to the station (to increase time acceleration or to fly another ship) , the orbit has lost 300 meters, and the station dives into Kerbol. The orbit won't stabilize

Actually it seems like the only way to obtain this precious fuel for me is mining on Eve or Eoloo

EDIT: I'm using Engineer to know those numbers

How to circularize orbit

Use precision control (Capslock) and RCS for super fine control

Edited by Huntarr

That's what i did since the beginning but i discovered my problem was due to physical time warp (which was changing apo and pe in a bizarre way) so it's solved.

Just a question, does the sun have an atmosphere ? Because i'm slowing down continually

Well I finally got all the numbers stabilized and all my module manager hooks working so this thing is ready for release. You are more than welcome to manipulate it in any fashion you want or include it into the base mod as an optional file (since it won't run unless the player has MFT installed).

All settings and values have been configured for maximum stackability so they play nice with base Modular Fuel Tanks configs as well as those I wrote up for Near Future and any future hooks into them that anyone else would like to do. Technically I think Real Fuels, should they choose to, can redirect the tanks to make these configs compatible with that mod as well since the volumes are already configured in Liters which both Real Fuels & MFT use... Though I only support MFT.

Below is the code for a Module Manager hook to provide Modular Fuel Tanks TankTypes & Configs for this mod.

Just create a CFG file called "USI-KerbonitePlus-MFT.cfg" in the mods directory and copy/paste this into it is all it takes to install.

// Karbonite Plus MFT (Modular Fuel Tanks) Configuration File
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Tank Defenitions New & Updated Defaults
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
TANK_DEFINITION
{
name = Karbonite2USI
basemass = 0.000625 * volume
TANK
{
name = Karbonite
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 100%
}
}
TANK_DEFINITION
{
name = KarborundumUSI
basemass = 0.000625 * volume
TANK
{
name = Karborundum
cost = 2000
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 100%
fillable = false
}
}
// Fuel Tanks
// USI KarbonitePlus
@PART[KA_Tank_Radial_02]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleFuelTanks]]:NEEDS[modularFuelTanks]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 20
type = Karbonite2USI
}
}
@PART[KA_Tank_Radial_03]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleFuelTanks]]:NEEDS[modularFuelTanks]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 40
type = Karbonite2USI
}
}
@PART[KA_Tank_Radial_04]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleFuelTanks]]:NEEDS[modularFuelTanks]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 500
type = KarborundumUSI
}
}
@PART[KA_Tank_Radial_05]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleFuelTanks]]:NEEDS[modularFuelTanks]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 300
type = KarborundumUSI
}
}
@PART[KA_Tank_Radial_06]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleFuelTanks]]:NEEDS[modularFuelTanks]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 5
type = KarborundumUSI
}
}
@PART[KA_Tank_Radial_07]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleFuelTanks]]:NEEDS[modularFuelTanks]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 12
type = KarborundumUSI
}
}

Note: Sorry Rover for spaming all your threads at once with these. Each file is unique to the mod I posted it in and they will all play nice together :)

Roverdude, can you give us a breakdown on the endgame use for Karborundum?

Other then driving myself nuts trying to build an EVE SSTO and after probably 70 hours of design work deciding that its not worth the effort then going to Eeloo only to find it has no Karbonite to refuel with....

So other then a few fancy engines (there are tons of fancy engines ingame already) what is it good for?

Roverdude, can you give us a breakdown on the endgame use for Karborundum?

Other then driving myself nuts trying to build an EVE SSTO and after probably 70 hours of design work deciding that its not worth the effort then going to Eeloo only to find it has no Karbonite to refuel with....

So other then a few fancy engines (there are tons of fancy engines ingame already) what is it good for?

Fancy engine with super high ISP? Pretty sure that is the point.

Eve is the best place for loading up on K+ in my opinion. Mainly because it's nice and close, and it's very easy to make an EPL shipyard around Gilly to create the fleet of support ships needed. Pre-torchdrive, it was pretty challenging to make an SSTO to raise up a single ball of it (40 000 unit ball I mean) but that was a lot better than the earlier incarnations where the ship needed 30+ Radial bottles to bring up a meaningful volume. The key I found is scale, and VTOL. I basically made rockets with a huge number of large ducted fans (36+) and parachutes for the final landing bit and landed the on their tail. Then used fans to get up the first 15 000 meters or so (no wings, just a big space helicopter)then switched to banks of 2.5 M fusion drives.

My current miner can get up and down in just a few minutes thanks to the mammoth structural strength of the starlifter parts/ 5m torchdrives, and get back into a high orbit even with 5 balls of Karborundum. At that mass the real issues quit being thrust (torchdrives are brutally powerful and run at full ISP in atmo) and start being control and landing legs buckling at the end of time warp if the terrain is even a bit uneven.

My adventures to the sun haven't panned out yet, since Kerbin to low solar orbit seems to take 30 000m +DV, and Eeloo takes forever (2+years) even with over thrusting by 5000m/s to speed it along. Obviously both these problems are solved once you have a macro scale K+ mining facility on Eve, but then the need for them also goes away.

I'm sure you've gotten enough feedback on K+, but now that I've figured out ways to utilize the 2.5m Karborundum Fusion Drive (with SpaceY's heavy lifter boosters and engine clusters), I can make an effective Refueler Rocket without wasting LFO on the final stage (and loading about 40 units of Karborundum samples, 4,030 unites of Electric Charge using a Z4K and a Large Probe Core, and 6 Gigantor solar panels).

I'm still messing around with how I can utilize Karbonite an K+, but slowly I'm figuring out how to get stuff to work effectively.

Havent heard about the jump beacons.....

Jump beacons are by a different author: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/91582-24-2-ESLD-Jump-Beacons-Dev-0-3b-2014-09-21. Trivia: the JumpBeacons author, TMarkos, actually coined the name Karborundum. The early betas of what became K+ were calling it Karbonium, and it ended up being easier to unify on a name from this side.

You have to be doing something horribly wrong to actually be running low on funds in career.

Some of the advanced parts in things like Interstellar are crazy expensive. By the time you're mining on Eve and Eeloo, you might want to be able to build more than one 80-million-credit ship.

Edited by undercoveryankee

• 2 weeks later...

Is a karborundum based jet engine a possible future prospect?

Also, I'd like some strategy tips on getting to the karborundum. I did an eeloo mission that retrieved a morsel and got like twice it's original dV in return. But it ended with a 10 year mission time. Basically shutting down the rest of the space program for an eeloo trip doesn't sit well, and the alternative is never getting it since most games don't last ten years unless you put it on fast timewarp.

I read about the jump gates, which sounds like a nice avenue to explore, it's a bit OP for my taste, and I believe you can't bring the karborundum with you on those trips anyways. There's also eve. But getting the from eve to orbit has proven to be quite a challenge using conventional methods. And the karborundum efficiency is about 1/6th inside kerbins atmosphere.

Maybe I am missing something obvious. But how have others set up their karborundum based fuel economy?

Edit: So I figured maybe I'll lose a lot of karborundum just lifting off on karborundum engines alone, but as long as I have some left in orbit I can make that work. And so I did some testing. But the amount of electric charge required to pull that off means you can't bring it in batteries for the weight and there are no generators which can generate that kind of power. Really hoping you guys have some tips for me.

Edited by willow

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.