[1.12.x] Karbonite/Karbonite Plus (K+)

RoverDude

So I've ran into something of snag... I'm not sure if it's floating point errors or something else but my orbit around the sun refuses to stay stable and I repeatedly crash into it when I'm inside the Karbondorum band. My problems seem to appear below 15000 meters or so and therefor I wondered how to extend the band into a safer area. Looking at this thread and the CRP I found this

REGOLITH_PLANETARY_RESOURCE{
ResourceName = Karborundum
ResourceType = 3
PlanetName = Sun

Distribution
{
PresenceChance = 100
MinAbundance = 1
MaxAbundance = 5
MinAltitude = 0
MaxAltitude = 0.00001
MinRange = 0.00001
MaxRange = 0.00001
Variance = 50
}
}

So if I just remove a 0 from the MaxAltitude will that make the band extend out to ~26000 m rather than the current ~2600 m and let me collect without crashing into the sun?

I've had no issue at 2000m btw. It's meant to be a total pain.

It would appear my SAS is messing with something that it shouldn't since turning it off lessens the problem quite a lot.

The whole "being a total pain" bit is nailed all right, I'm going to try and mine from Eeloo instead for now.

For the Karborundum definition, I amended the final Sun entry in my installation to be the following:

REGOLITH_PLANETARY_RESOURCE
{
ResourceName = Karborundum
ResourceType = 3
PlanetName = Sun

Distribution
{
PresenceChance = 100
MinAbundance = 1
MaxAbundance = 5
MinAltitude = 0
MaxAltitude = 0.00001
MinRange = 0.00001
MaxRange = 0.00001
Variance = 50
}
}

This has placed a band of K+ particles tapering off after 2600m to just above the surface of the sun.

I haven't adjusted the abundances or variances from the original entry (yet).

What I learned from playing with this, that others might find useful:

• MinAltitude is a minimum starting point for any band that might be generated. 0 = Equatorial Radius (equivalent to surface/sea level I believe?). In this case 0 = 261,600,000m from the centre of Kerbol - the surface of Kerbol.
  • MaxAltitude is the upper limit for the same, in this case it is 0.00001 x 261,600,000 = 2,616m. Add to Eq. Radius and the upper limit is at 261,602,616 from the centre of Kerbol or 2,616 above the surface.
  • The Min and Max Range specify the thickness of the band that is generated. The above example uses the same multiplier as the altitude does (2,616m) so the band should be between surface and 2,616m, and 2,616m in width/depth/thickness/whatever.

Tested and seems to work without any problems, everything is roughly where I would expect to find it, give or take a few hundred metres (probably due to the variance).

To be perfect the numbers should be 0.0000076452599388379204892966361 (261,602,000 divide by 261,600,000), but this is close enough for me.

Good enough to approximate a band at around 2000m above Kerbol, for anyone that wants it.

So Ive done a fresh install and I am finding that I can collect K+ particles anywhere in Solar orbit at any height (HyperEdit for testing purposes). This is disappointingly broken as I just have to get outside Kerbin SoI and Ive won the game.

Anyone confirm this? Or should i do a new install of Kerbonite, Kerbonite+, Regolith, and community resource pack?

So Ive done a fresh install and I am finding that I can collect K+ particles anywhere in Solar orbit at any height (HyperEdit for testing purposes). This is disappointingly broken as I just have to get outside Kerbin SoI and Ive won the game.

Anyone confirm this? Or should i do a new install of Kerbonite, Kerbonite+, Regolith, and community resource pack?

You are using an outdated regolith. Update to the latest version https://github.com/BobPalmer/Regolith/releases

there was a problem where the exoplanetary resources were ignoring some of the boundary definitions.

Ah big thank you. I think I'm also a derp as i saw this fix yesterday about fault in the interplanetary definition. But I may have installed the same version of Regolith with the error -.-'

So i have Regolith 0.1.7, HyperEdit'ed to a 1900m solar orbit and all is working! \o/ No value greater than 2000m. Big thank you!

However editing the altitude value set by the description of Kielm's post, in the [CommunityResourcePack>>Resources>>Karbonum.cfg] gives no Karbonum at the desired height.

I wish to edit the height of occurrence ever so slightly to achieve a stable orbit around Kerbol, as a 2000m orbit quickly decays and destroys vessel due to over heating. I would not consider a 200'000m orbit easy/op value.

But all is good if value cannot be edited.

Thank you again!

You shouldn't have any atmosphere decay effects anywhere around the sun. But you do need to stay above 1340 meters. which is where you start blowing up. (and just rotating your ship when you are low around the star can change your periapsis by thousands of meters. so you need to keep an eye on it.)

if you wanted it to be as high as 200km, then you would be looking at a max altitude setting of about 0.00764526. This will give you resource bands about 2,616m thick of varying yields from surface to 200km

EDIT: tested this instead of just talking out the other end. and it seems the code will not generate multiple bands, so the easiest way to do this would be to instead just generate an extra wide band centered in the default min/max altitude. once I figure out the exact size needed i'll update this post. (time for sleep now...)

EDIT 2: after extensive testing, it would seem your individual game seed has a much more significant impact to the resources than what I was expecting. so any numbers I give could be vastly inadequate, or incredibly over done. my own seed seems to crush any resource definition for interplanetary bands to almost nothing (the K+ solar band for me by default is 1430 or lower) so any numbers I give aiming for a specific altitude will tend to create huge swaths of resources for everyone else.

My own game seed is 429779331, if rover or someone else wants to test things.

Edited by Tebryn

Has anyone tried to sun skim with Deadly Reentry and FAR installed? I feel that 2000 meter orbits around Kerbol would be impossible with those mods?

It should be irrelevant for both of them given the sun has no atmosphere ;)

Welp, Thanks to RoverDude, I now have a Contract on getting a satellite around the sun... and I have NO IDEA how I'll get this the right way, without... oh... doing something complex (for me, anyways), by launching a refueler probe right after the initial launch to meet up with the actual probe (to fuel up the Karborundum, since I TRIED making this thing run on Xenon and Ion engines... NEVER... AGAIN [takes WAY too long, even if it IS lighter and cheaper]; The biggest problem with that clever strategy is... well... I cannot rendezvous two ships for the life of me unless I'm using Mechjeb!

Good news out of it all? I CAN get this satellite way further in than Moho's orbit... last I saw I MAY have gotten it 1.5 million meters from the sun, before I ran out of Karborundum (currently using 8 sample cannisters, which isn't enough... Career Mode is both fun AND a pain)

cont'd

... I suppose I'll have to wait to get a Nuclear Generator and a Torch Drive to get the efficiency and push I need.

The downside: It'll be stupid-expensive... Oh well, I suppose finishing/continuing my Mun exploration/science research (temperature and seismic), exploring Minmus and doing that research (temperature, for now), and sending a station to Duna take priority (and all those delicious funds and sciences that come with).

How i harvest K+, 128 drills on each of those vessels. Theres like 15 or 18 of them, i try to keep it 3 per cluster due to fps. U7UthOJ.jpg

Is .005% the highest concentration for crust karborundum?

Also some ship made for kplus ship 5nm4uKG.png , might need some interstellar mods with this much fuel, efficiency, & thrust behind the wheel.

Edited by protoz

I've been fiddling with some personal configs so I could have a hydrogen torch drive that requires Karborundum as a semi-consumed catalyst (as real catalysts are, you can never recover all of your catalyst). Idea is that you wouldn't need as much on-board and it would consume a very very small amount, but you'd use way more electricity, have less thrust, and consume liquid hydrogen. I have a CFG that is kind of neat, but...

My question is, is there a way to get KSP to require you have a certain amount on board and shut the drive down if you don't? Or maybe have some crazy effects like the thrust drops off hard or the ISP decreases, so if you have no K+ on board the ISP and thrust would be similar to a NTR? As you increase the amount of K+ your ISP goes up until it reaches a maximum value. So if you're carrying 200 units you have a torch drive with 120000 ISP with a thrust of 650, but 0 it's 700 with a thrust of 90.

This also gets me thinking... maybe K+ as the limiting agent for the WarpDrive using a similar effect if you have K+ installed?

Just an idea, not a request, do with it as you will :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.