[1.12.x] Karbonite/Karbonite Plus (K+)

RoverDude

I could be wrong, but I don't think Eeloo has any Karbonite to refine into secondary fuels, and the overall concentrations are lower than on Eve?

Also even a good vein with 16 drills takes a very long time to fill a sphere. I did an MM patch for 40x extraction rate to get it to 2-3 years.

Because Karborundum around the sun is wholly inaccessible because of heat, I decided to move the band. After some testing, I think I've found a good balance and created a patch.

Download: ModuleManager patch file on pastebin

// Requires ModuleManager, Karbonite
// Written for KSP v1.0.2,
// Karbonite v0.6.0,
// KarbonitePlus v0.4.0,
// ModuleManager v2.6.x

// Move the Karborundrum belt around the sun to something more accessible.
// Barely.
// Densest at 150Mm altitude, reaches just short of 200Mm.
// KPlus large collector tends to fail after any length of time spent
// below 195Mm; plan accordingly.

@PLANETARY_RESOURCE:HAS[#ResourceName[Karborundum]PlanetName[Sun]],0
{
@Distribution,0
{
@MinAbundance = 2
@MinAltitude = 1.14678899
@MaxAltitude = 1.14678899
@MinRange = 0.1911315
@MaxRange = 0.1911315
}
}
// Config by KwirkyJ 2015, CC BY-NC-SA 4.0

Because Karborundum around the sun is wholly inaccessible because of heat, I decided to move the band. After some testing, I think I've found a good balance and created a patch.

Download: ModuleManager patch file on pastebin

// Requires ModuleManager, Karbonite
// Written for KSP v1.0.2,
// Karbonite v0.6.0,
// KarbonitePlus v0.4.0,
// ModuleManager v2.6.x

// Move the Karborundrum belt around the sun to something more accessible.
// Barely.
// Densest at 150Mm altitude, reaches just short of 200Mm.
// KPlus large collector tends to fail after any length of time spent
// below 195Mm; plan accordingly.

@PLANETARY_RESOURCE:HAS[#ResourceName[Karborundum]PlanetName[Sun]],0
{
@Distribution,0
{
@MinAbundance = 2
@MinAltitude = 1.14678899
@MaxAltitude = 1.14678899
@MinRange = 0.1911315
@MaxRange = 0.1911315
}
}
// Config by KwirkyJ 2015, CC BY-NC-SA 4.0

You mean with Deadly Reentry? I was looking at the 2000m and thinking "I'll either have to uninstall DE or my ship will explode..."

EDIT:

Also, RoverDude, I like the balance of how you did this, but I think the fact that there's only that one tiny drill for Karborundum is part of the balance?

If so, you're essentially balancing it by using the fact that high part-count ships crash the game. :/

Edited by JordanL

hello little problem is karbonite now intregratet in plus can not see karbonite not more at can

I'm not sure about that sentence, but if I can guess what your asking is no, K+ still needs karbonite to function properly.

My particle collector is currently saying `nothing to h` and days of warping does not produce 1 unit of anything.

Does it still need to be just above the atmosphere? I`m currently orbiting at 70,600m. Getting no Karbonite or Karundum.

All I`m wanting from the mod is to trickle fill an orbiting station. Is there a way to remove resource checks and force this behaviour?

EDIT : Now I don`t have the option to open collectors and only have `retract collector` as an option with right click.

This is with a freshly extracted install to test karbonite behaviour and the mod was installed with CKAN

EDIT 2 : options to open returned after retracting and deploying the main dish although clicking the buttons does nothing. Still displaying `nothing to h`

Would a log help or are there conditions for particle collecting I am not satisfying? Do I need to scan first or have particular scanners on board?

EDIT 3 : Trying without karbonite plus, just in case.

Aaand we have nailed the issue. It`s a PEBKAC issue. After getting rid of Karbonite plus I was told that a craft could not be loaded due to a missing solar collector.

Maybe they could be given more obvious names?

Currently they are both called `particle collector` although one is `advanced`and they are both for `exospheric use`

Maybe one could be `solar particle collector` and the other just `particle collector`?

It`s really difficult to guess what each should be used for...

EDIT 4 : After launching a standard particle collector I still have no resource gathering happening. karbonite rate is N/A and the collector says `nothing to h` Which I assume means nothing to harvest. clicking `open collector`has no effect.

Am I missing something?

DIT1tc1.png

(also posted in main karbonite thread as it seems that is the correct place)

Edited by John FX

Is there something specific we have to do to scan for K+ on asteroids, I have put a probe on a few now and so far the Advanced Scanner and Sampling kit seem to be clueless.

Edit, stock scanner isn't seeing anything either....

Edit2

YAY found one :)

Edited by Donziboy2

Actually you can if you have the right tanks :)

Had tanks, what drill is needed? Dont recall seeing any drills that worked on argon or xenon.

Edit. You will have to throw me a bone here cause last time I used any mods to mine rocks was about 5 months ago and I was using AMT....

Edited by Donziboy2

Ok, well after beating my head against the keyboard I discovered that.

1. There is 2 resource modules now.... ModuleResourceHarvester and ModuleAsteroidDrill

2. None of the USI drills are set up to mine asteroids atm....

edit.

3. Some how the stock ore miner mines XenonGas, argongas, karbonite and karborundum... cant find any info as to how since i dont see a MM file to set up mining xenon from roids.... thought maybe NFT was doing it but dont see anything unless its hidden.

4. I tried adding a MM config for the Karbonite radial drill for use on roids, I added 3 modules. Karbonite, Xenongas and Argongas and somehow turning on one mines all three resources....

edit 2

So it appears that we only need the stock drill to get resources from roids. Nice feature?

Edited by Donziboy2

Ok, well after beating my head against the keyboard I discovered that.

1. There is 2 resource modules now.... ModuleResourceHarvester and ModuleAsteroidDrill

2. None of the USI drills are set up to mine asteroids atm....

edit.

3. Some how the stock ore miner mines XenonGas, argongas, karbonite and karborundum... cant find any info as to how since i dont see a MM file to set up mining xenon from roids.... thought maybe NFT was doing it but dont see anything unless its hidden.

4. I tried adding a MM config for the Karbonite radial drill for use on roids, I added 3 modules. Karbonite, Xenongas and Argongas and somehow turning on one mines all three resources....

edit 2

So it appears that we only need the stock drill to get resources from roids. Nice feature?

Yep. Any ModuleAsteroidDrill will harvest all resources that the asteroid contains.

Makes sense if you think about it. Asteroids that size aren't as differentiated as a planet's crust, so the contents would be pretty uniformly mixed at the scale of the drill. No need to aim at high concentrations of one thing or the other.

Yep. Any ModuleAsteroidDrill will harvest all resources that the asteroid contains.

Makes sense if you think about it. Asteroids that size aren't as differentiated as a planet's crust, so the contents would be pretty uniformly mixed at the scale of the drill. No need to aim at high concentrations of one thing or the other.

Being used to AMT and ART I was expecting to need different drills for different resources.

Edit..

The lack of information on how things work has confused me alot lately, I have not played any sandbox in a while and started one up just to figure out how things worked since so many things seem to be unmarked and not made clear.

Edited by Donziboy2

In fairness you're asking a mod question. There are a few vid tutorials out there on the stock resource system. And yes, a stock asteroid drill will drill the asteroid and all constituent resources by design.

In fairness you're asking a mod question. There are a few vid tutorials out there on the stock resource system. And yes, a stock asteroid drill will drill the asteroid and all constituent resources by design.

And I did not know that, I was under the impression each resource had to be called out like with planetary resources.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.