[1.12.x] Karbonite/Karbonite Plus (K+)

RoverDude

Realistic is an odd card to play for a fictional element in the atmosphere of a fictional planet.

You could potentially edit(Or make a MM cfg file) the CRP entry for K+ to exist in the atmo, then edit the part details for the scoop if you were super into it.

My particle collector is currently saying `nothing to h` and days of warping does not produce 1 unit of anything.

Does it still need to be just above the atmosphere? I`m currently orbiting at 70,600m. Getting no Karbonite or Karundum.

All I`m wanting from the mod is to trickle fill an orbiting station. Is there a way to remove resource checks and force this behaviour?

EDIT : Now I don`t have the option to open collectors and only have `retract collector` as an option with right click.

This is with a freshly extracted install to test karbonite behaviour and the mod was installed with CKAN

EDIT 2 : options to open returned after retracting and deploying the main dish although clicking the buttons does nothing. Still displaying `nothing to h`

Would a log help or are there conditions for particle collecting I am not satisfying? Do I need to scan first or have particular scanners on board?

EDIT 3 : Trying without karbonite plus, just in case.

Aaand we have nailed the issue. It`s a PEBKAC issue. After getting rid of Karbonite plus I was told that a craft could not be loaded due to a missing solar collector.

Maybe they could be given more obvious names?

Currently they are both called `particle collector` although one is `advanced`and they are both for `exospheric use`

Maybe one could be `solar particle collector` and the other just `particle collector`?

It`s really difficult to guess what each should be used for...

EDIT 4 : After launching a standard particle collector I still have no resource gathering happening. karbonite rate is N/A and the collector says `nothing to h` Which I assume means nothing to harvest. clicking `open collector`has no effect.

Am I missing something?

http://i.imgur.com/DIT1tc1.png

(also posted in main karbonite thread as it seems that is the correct place)

Quoting this because I am having the exact same issues. The giant collector dish does not collect anywhere I go, I used hyper edit to place myself in places where it should work and all I get is the same message "nothing to collect here." I used hyper edit to put myself so close to the sun that the craft exploded after about a minute and same message. Any altitude above Eeloo, as well as Eve also does not produce results. Somethings broken with both of the particle collectors.

No, Exospheric karbonite is randomized (also you're in the K+ thread) ;)

Ok, so that explains why that guy couldn't find karbonite. What about Karborundum, which is what I was looking for? I was under the impression that the places to find it were close to the sun, Eve, and Eeloo. The scanner found no trace at any of the three locations.

You looked on the surface of eeloo and the surface of Eve? Also note that it will not be in all biomes.

I checked Eve's surface to make sure it was working properly. It did report a value, so it appears to be working as intended in that regard. But my concern isn't really about the surface, but exospheric karborundum and the giant collector dish.

Right - the only exospheric Karborundum there ever was was around the sun. This is by design.

Hmmm this may be a stupid question but well :

How are we supposed to harvest Karborundum this close to the sun if close to no game object (collectors and tanks included) can handle the heat of the sun ?

I still have to try the Starflier as most of the components are 3400°C heat resistant but it doesn't look like the sun is harvestable anymore. Or maybe disable its heat, is it just possible ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Forgive me if I'm stepping on toes by suggesting an answer to Elick there- did you try the stock drills? Rover's said in a different thread or two (including answering me!) that the stock drills were the ones you needed to use on like asteroids and such. They could also mine xenon and I think argon, though argon IIRC is for an entirely different mod's engines or power supply or some such.

Hmmm this may be a stupid question but well :

How are we supposed to harvest Karborundum this close to the sun if close to no game object (collectors and tanks included) can handle the heat of the sun ?

I still have to try the Starflier as most of the components are 3400°C heat resistant but it doesn't look like the sun is harvestable anymore. Or maybe disable its heat, is it just possible ?

:cool: see this post http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/91582-1-0-4-ESLD-Jump-Beacons-Dev-0-6a/page19. It's doable even without the mod that originally came up with and used Karborundum. In fact, the entire launch and harvester would work out cheaper.

pghqxrm.png

I'll admit I'm probably missing something, but why do the standard K+ engines give completely wrong numbers for atmospheric flight? Kerbal Engineer tells me I've got a 20+ TWR and I can't even get off the ground. And even ignoring KE how come the engines claim to have more thrust than they put out? For comparison I did the same test with liquid fuel and accelerated fine with an identical ship design and only 3.5 TWR. Needless to say I'm horribly confused and very concerned about bothering to mine this stuff now.

I'll admit I'm probably missing something, but why do the standard K+ engines give completely wrong numbers for atmospheric flight? Kerbal Engineer tells me I've got a 20+ TWR and I can't even get off the ground. And even ignoring KE how come the engines claim to have more thrust than they put out? For comparison I did the same test with liquid fuel and accelerated fine with an identical ship design and only 3.5 TWR. Needless to say I'm horribly confused and very concerned about bothering to mine this stuff now.

Very likely because things need updates. If you look this mod was last updated in May. The Karbonite engines are overdue for a balance and it's likely these do too. Of course that is coming from someone who hasn't been able to use the K+ engines yet since 1.0.x.

Caught a class E asteroid with karborundum in it. But the mini drills I sent out with Bill to mine it for karborundum won't give me an option to activate them and thus drill for the precious karbor. Is the mini drill the only thing I can use or do I need to readjust my point of digging or.. Something else?

I wish it didn't require Karbonite. Using the stock ore system would make this mod a definite thing to use. I'd especially like to use that Torchdrive in conjunction with the warp drive as a standalone thing. And bussard collectors to collect the Torchfuel at warp or near stars, be it interstellar antimatter or stock ore.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.