[1.12.x] Karbonite/Karbonite Plus (K+)

RoverDude

I wish it didn't require Karbonite. Using the stock ore system would make this mod a definite thing to use. I'd especially like to use that Torchdrive in conjunction with the warp drive as a standalone thing. And bussard collectors to collect the Torchfuel at warp or near stars, be it interstellar antimatter or stock ore.

Using ore would make the karborundum drives OP.

• 2 weeks later...

Did K+ Get lighter and fluffier? The definition (Mass=0.0058) makes it look like 5.8 kilos/litre. Lighter than Iron(7.87) and especially Uranium (20ish). Closer to the famously light titanium (4.5)

I mean not that it really matters since the new torchdrive efficiency is astronomical, but kicking it up to like 0.015 or more may add some challenge to resource extraction.

Updated model is a combination of Ore and Karborundum (plus EC).

Current values (subject to change)

Torch: 9.5t, Vac/Atm ISP: 10,000/7,500 - Thrust: 37,500

Candle: 1.25t, Vac/Atm ISP: 5,000/3,500 - Thrust: 1,200

(edit)

The 1.25t costs 1.25 million, the 3.75 costs 12.5 million.

Edited by RoverDude

Now they are ;)

0.5.0 is up!

**NOTE: LOTS OF CHANGES, DELETE YOUR OLD KarbonitePlus FOLDER!**

Rebalanced all engines

Deprecated the 5m Torch Drive

Added a 1.25m Torch (Candle) Drive

Added an extra large ore drill

Deprecated the older K+ tanks in favor of new Kontainer-style tanks

Added Karborundum harvesting capabilities to all Karbonite drills

Bug report for 0.5.0: The new K+ tanks have the price set to 0, cost large negative numbers when placed in the VAB, and are completely missing from the tech tree with CTT installed ignore that, found them after checking the .cfgs. Also both of the new engines cost 2,950,000 (assuming this hasn't changed: )

The 1.25t costs 1.25 million, the 3.75 costs 12.5 million.

Maybe not a bug, but something that looks out of place: the new candle drive is in the Experimental Science node in CTT, instead of in the nuclear/fusion branch with the rest of the K+ engines,

There's also the drill issue mentioned already, also the entry purchase is set at 50 funds and unit cost at 1,300... compared to 18k/6k for the presumably inferior stock drill, in the same tech node.

Installed using CKAN (after removing the old version first of course), also tried installing manually via github with no change. I also have modular fuel tanks and FTT installed, among others but as far as I can tell nothing else that messes with K+ stuff.

Edited by armagheddonsgw

How does the Karborundum settings for exopheric deposites around the sun translate into 2.000m, as I get it from the description of K+? Basically I want to understand how to put resources in interplanetary space, and know exactly where I'm putting it.

I found from regolith that this was based on radius of the planet, however I think I am calculating it wrong because I keep ending up not finding the resources.

PLANETARY_RESOURCE{

ResourceName = Karborundum

ResourceType = 3

PlanetName = Sun

Distribution

{

PresenceChance = 100

MinAbundance = 1

MaxAbundance = 5

MinAltitude = 1.14678899

MaxAltitude = 1.14678899

MinRange = 0.1911315

MaxRange = 0.1911315

Variance = 50

}

}

So can you help me answering how to calculate the placement of the resource.

It's my asking for help night I guess. I know that the band around the sun was moved outwards a bit. But I am still having trouble trying to figure out how to successfully collect Karborundum.

I have been playing around and the farthest away that I could still collect K+ was 176,000,000km Even at this distance I have yet to find any setup that can handle the heat. The Particle collector can't even hold up to the heat.

How does the Karborundum settings for exopheric deposites around the sun translate into 2.000m, as I get it from the description of K+? Basically I want to understand how to put resources in interplanetary space, and know exactly where I'm putting it.

I found from regolith that this was based on radius of the planet, however I think I am calculating it wrong because I keep ending up not finding the resources.

This may help ... I had to do the math several times until I figured it out myself. For testing purposes, I wanted to make a K+ band outside of Kerbin in a very narrow band ... I had an idea for a video series that I may end up doing at some point .. but wanted to test it out back in the day. Come to think of it .. I should revisit that notebook ...

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/100162-0-90-Regolith-an-open-ISRU-and-Resource-framework-0-1-7-2015-02-26?p=1851103&viewfull=1#post1851103

Now keep in mind there is a random element to it that I never did track down programattically ... however this should get you looking in the correct direction.

~M~

Edited by Mynar Moonshadow

Maybe not a bug, but something that looks out of place: the new candle drive is in the Experimental Science node in CTT, instead of in the nuclear/fusion branch with the rest of the K+ engines,

I looked into configs and it seems like some confusion in naming of the Candle drive:

From CTT.cfg in KarbonitePlus folder:

@PART[KA_Engine_[B]500_01[/B]]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
@TechRequired = exoticReactions
}

While the actual part is named KA_Engine_375_03 (with .cfg file named KA_Engine_125_03 and in-game name KFD-100 Candle Drive)

Bug report for 0.5.0: The new K+ tanks have the price set to 0, cost large negative numbers when placed in the VAB

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/106064-Help-Please-Empty-Resource-Containers-cause-Negative-Cost-in-VAB?p=1648011&viewfull=1#post1648011

Quick fix, the price in the part.cfg must be for a full tank, not empty. The price of the resource is deducted automatically.

• 2 weeks later...

did you figure this issue out yet?

@kerbinspacecommand

I don't like to quote myself, but I'm going to anyway. I can't think of any reason why the following configuration options should have changed since posting, and this should help you out:

If you have a look in GameData\CommunityResourcePack\ResourceConfigs\Karborundum.cfg you can edit your K+ generation to appear anywhere you like, including based on random chance. Using the Karbonite cfg as an example, if you wanted (for example) a 1% chance for crust Karborundum resources on *all* worlds:

REGOLITH_GLOBAL_RESOURCE
{
ResourceType = 0

Distribution
{
PresenceChance = 1
MinAbundance = .001
MaxAbundance = 0.01
Variance = 50
}
}

The "PresenceChance" field is the % chance of it being generated per crust. 1% really does mean a 1 in 100 chance though so if you use this cfg don't be surprised if it makes absolutely no difference to your save :)

If you wanted a chance of finding interplanetary K+ instead, use the following (ResourceType=3 means interplanetary, between planets):

REGOLITH_GLOBAL_RESOURCE
{
ResourceType = 3

Distribution
{
PresenceChance = 1 // chance of generation, 1-100. 1 really means only 1/100, so you may not get any at all!
MinAbundance = .001
MaxAbundance = .5
MinAltitude = .2 // Starting altitude. 0 = Sea level (or equatorial distance), 1 = 2x equatorial radius
MaxAltitude = 2 // Ending altitude, 0 = Sea level (or equatorial distance), 1 = 2x equatorial radius
MinRange = .01 // minimum thickness of the resource band, measured as a multiplier of equatorial radius e.g. 0.01 = 0.01 x eq. radius
MaxRange = .5 // maximum thickness of resource band, again a multiplier of eq radius
}
}

The REGOLITH_GLOBAL_RESOURCE tag has changed since then, but that may help.

If not, consider using Hyperedit and sandbox mode to move a probe around different orbits to figure out where the band is being put, and report your findings back here so the rest of us can learn too! :)

- - - Updated - - -

I started playing with this mod again after briefly revisiting KSP Interstellar (long story short - it was fun to play with but quickly became very over powered).

I've played this mod many times before, and it usually follows the same pattern.

1. Intercept multiple asteroids until I find one with K+

2. Use the K+ to send a miner to Eeloo

3. Profit

I caught myself doing the same thing again today. So to make things more interesting this time, I've adjusted the K+ config to completely randomize K+ presence to a 10% chance of it appearing in planetary crusts only, except for Kerbin where the chance is zero. I'm also playing the Outer Planets mod, so this is either going to be really fun or really frustrating.

Edited by Kielm

Excellent! Those notes are exactly what I've been needing. I'll go adjust some values and try to tackle this exospheric resource issue again. Thank you.

Edit: Also, I apologize for not seeing your prior post, sometimes all these pages start to blend together late at night.

Edit2: I'm a little confused as to what you mean by "Resource Band." Does adding an exospheric resource not just add it in a sphere around the body?

Edited by kerbinspacecommand

I just call it a band because that's how I think of it.

Think of it like this.

You specify the minimum and maximum altitudes and the resources will appear between those altitudes. The minimum and maximum range together define the 'thickness' of the band that appears at that altitude.

There is some random number generation at work here, so if you specify a wide range of values, you can get different results every new game (the random number generation uses the game seed). If you restrict these values to a very small and specific range (such as in the definition for Karborundum around Kerbol - see the Community Resource Pack, Karborundum.cfg) you can set it so you always get the same result.

So it doesn't just add a sphere. You get full control over where the resources appear and how thick the resources are. So you can have a paper thin shell of Karbonite high around Minmus or a Thick, dusty cloud of Karborundum from the surface to low orbit. Or you can just set the values and let the random number generator give you a surprise :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.