[1.12.x] Karbonite/Karbonite Plus (K+)

RoverDude

@tarheel1999 @roverdude

Hi, yes as mentioned in the previous posts, I have had karbonite installed all along. I have therefore also had kontainers insstalled. I have all of the karbonite containers showing up in the VAB just fine. I have all of the kontainers and logistics tanks showing up in the VAB just fine. I have all of the karborundum drills and engines showing up just fine. I also have interstellar fuel tank installed for good measure, even though it's not included in the other mod packages, just in case that's where karborundum containment was hiding. I have since also updated both K+ and karbonite to the most recent versions from two days ago. I have verified that the part configs mention karborundum tanks exist, as do the modeling assets.

But yet there are still no karborundum containers in the VAB. I have moused over every single tank in the fuel tank menu, and every single tank in the logistics menu, and looked at every single interstellar switch option. I have run a search as well in the VAB for "karborundum" and looked at all possible holding devices, nope no dice.

There is a bug somewhere. Maybe it's only for certain OS versions or something who knows. Maybe it's too low priority to fix, sure okay it's a free mod I appreciate whatever, but it is a bug, not a failure to follow downloading instructions.

Just trying to make sure I understand here: are you trying to find the Karborundum tanks mentioned in the OP? If so, those have been deprecated. There are no stand-alone karborundum containers.

You say that all of the kontainers are showing up in the VAB? Those can be configured to carry karborundum using FSFuelSwitch, which is bundled with Karbonite. Interstellar Fuel Switch won't help, USI mods all use Firespitter, not Interstellar.

If I remember right, parts that use FS don't show their fuel options when you mouse over them, but once placed on a vessel in the VAB you can change your fuel type. Is karborundum not showing up when you do this? If it isn't, are there any other fuel types listed in the configs that don't show up?

Karborundum should be contained in the black round tanks. Put one on a craft, right click on it, and cycle through the options. Alternatively you can right click on the part in the part catalog and it might show a list of available resources. 

On 10/21/2016 at 0:02 AM, Merkov said:

Just trying to make sure I understand here: are you trying to find the Karborundum tanks mentioned in the OP? If so, those have been deprecated. There are no stand-alone karborundum containers.

You say that all of the kontainers are showing up in the VAB? Those can be configured to carry karborundum using FSFuelSwitch, which is bundled with Karbonite. Interstellar Fuel Switch won't help, USI mods all use Firespitter, not Interstellar.

If I remember right, parts that use FS don't show their fuel options when you mouse over them, but once placed on a vessel in the VAB you can change your fuel type. Is karborundum not showing up when you do this? If it isn't, are there any other fuel types listed in the configs that don't show up?

Yes I was trying to find those tanks. Incidentally, the post should probably be edited if they're deprecated...

But I don't really care much which tank. I was looking for those simply because they were the ones listed as the karborundum tanks. Really, I just want SOMETHING to hold karborundum.

I have the round black tanks, two kinds. Neither of them say anything about karborundum when I put them on the side of a craft. They just talk about "shareable resources" and "disable warehouse" whatever that means. Something to do with USI kolonization stuff, I believe, which I don't even have installed (as it is not listed as a dependency in the OP and I don't really want it).

Yes I have firespitter, since as mentioned, I have karbonite installed, and it came with that. I didn't expect interstellar fuel switch to work, and I didn't delete anything including firespitter when adding it. Just a random attempt to try and get something to work.

"are there any other fuel types listed in the configs that don't show up?"

I don't think so. There are about 500 fuel types in the VAB that none of my mods use though. Which, as a separate issue, would be nice to not have cluttering things up unnecessarily in a mod that only uses karbonite and karborundum. But much less concerned about that.

Screenshot:

http://imgur.com/a/XQCfF

Edited by Crimeo
screenshot

14 hours ago, Donziboy2 said:

Can we still mine K+ from roids?

According to the CRP config, there's a 25% chance of Karborundum appearing on an asteroid. If you don't want to keep trying new asteroids, try the spoiler below. 

Spoiler

The resources in an asteroid are only generated once you get into loading range. Save it before you get within 2.4km (ish). Approach it, check the resources. If it doesn't have what you want, reload and approach again; it'll generate a new set of resources. This only works the first time you approach it - once the resources are set, they're set. 

3 hours ago, tooth83 said:

I downloaded it but i dont see the karborundum tanks and they dont show up in the parts folder

The tanks are part of the Karbonite mod, which I'm guessing you don't have installed. 

K+ is "new resources and parts for Karbonite", so ideally you'd have Karbonite installed already. You might be able to get away with just using the Kontainers parts folder from Karbonite if that's all you want, but I'd suggest installing Karbonite first, as it has a number of drills and other bits and pieces you'll find handy. 

@Crimeo

The spherical tanks in your screenshot are the ones that hold Karborundum. Firespitter is the mod responsible for switching those round tanks between the different fuel types - without it, you can't change types. There should be a "Firespitter" folder inside your "GameData" folder. If there isn't, try reinstalling Karbonite (which has Firespitter bundled). If Firespitter is already installed, then I'd guess another mod is interfering. As a test, temporarily remove other fuel switching mods like "b9partswitch", "InterstellarFuelSwitch", etc. Alternatively, temporarily clear out your GameData folder of everything but the "Squad" folder and just install the USI constellation (which is all USI mods in one bundle) located at https://github.com/BobPalmer/USI_Constellation/releases.

EDIT: Actually, come to think of it, also make sure the Firespitter you're using is the one that came with RoverDude's Karbonite mod. It's possible you might have accidentally overwritten it with an older version (from a different mod) that doesn't work.

There are certain mods that just don't play well together, and it's likely you've found two of them in your choices somewhere. It's unlikely a bug with K+, but more likely a conflict with another mod. If none of this solves your problem, please provide a copy of your log file (output_log.txt) which will be located in either the KSP_x64_Data or KSP_Data in your installation folder (depending on whether you're running 32 or 64 bit KSP). Upload to pastebin.com or a filesharing site and post a link here. That will help troubleshooting. Providing a list of installed mods would also help narrow down possible culprits. 

Finally, if any of the advice here does work, please follow up with a post to say what the problem was!

Edited by Kielm

9 hours ago, Kielm said:

According to the CRP config, there's a 25% chance of Karborundum appearing on an asteroid. If you don't want to keep trying new asteroids, try the spoiler below. 

Hide contents

The resources in an asteroid are only generated once you get into loading range. Save it before you get within 2.4km (ish). Approach it, check the resources. If it doesn't have what you want, reload and approach again; it'll generate a new set of resources. This only works the first time you approach it - once the resources are set, they're set. 

I have tried setting it to 100% and waiting for a new roid to spawn in my test setup with no luck.  I can only detect the rock resource and I have been unable to mine any resources from roids so far.

I installed the constellation pack.

And I will now put on my dunce cap.  I was using the USI drills, installed a stock drill and its working now...

I still am not seeing how we can see what abundance the resources have per roid.

I finally got round to doing an asteroid intercept today and came across the problem @Mace from Space is having. 

I'm guessing it's a stock bug, as it happens with no mods installed as well. As always, a picture is worth a thousand words. 

Spoiler

txPOpNo.jpg

XUiEq8o.jpg

I've put it on the bug tracker, as you can see it happens with no mods as well; but the effect on modded KSP is the same. The resources are still there, you just can't tell what the composition is. 

5 minutes ago, neoblackheart said:

I am having the same problems as the above guy deleted EVERYTHING fresh reinstall from scratch then installed karbonite and karbonite+. Then went in and looked at the giant black containers States it holds Ore. Nothing else. Tried everything updating everything and nothing works.

Screenshot of your gamedata folder?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.