[1.12.x] Karbonite/Karbonite Plus (K+)

RoverDude

Question - is the big dish collector for the sun just old trash now?

I tried to use it just now, and explodey stuff happened. I'm looking for a legit way to do karborundum, and the solar one seemed most appealing. I'm not exactly thrilled about eve - and I've never been to eeloo. I'd like to essentially be able to load up a few tanks of the stuff and bring it back to kerbin orbit for use with other stuff. 

@Virulent Perhaps the game just took a dump on you. I was quite stumped when I built a probe with the white cased folding solar panels (attached via I-beams), cheated it into orbit, and then it wiggled violently and the I-beams broke off. :/ Replacing the I-beams fixed that.

Now in your case there should be no problem with the Advanced Particle Collector (RD would have no reason to change anything about it). Maybe like me, you just need to build your ship a little differently. Finally, the difficulty in getting Karborundum is part of the point. If you can build big, go for the Sun. If not, spam drills and go for Eeloo.

On 7/13/2017 at 10:58 PM, Virulent said:

Question - is the big dish collector for the sun just old trash now?

I tried to use it just now, and explodey stuff happened. I'm looking for a legit way to do karborundum, and the solar one seemed most appealing. I'm not exactly thrilled about eve - and I've never been to eeloo. I'd like to essentially be able to load up a few tanks of the stuff and bring it back to kerbin orbit for use with other stuff. 

I've never had success with solar collection of K+.  Even when trying to do an orbit that just "dips" into the band I can't make a ship that won't overheat and explode.  I gave up long ago.

On 7/15/2017 at 1:10 PM, goldenpsp said:

I've never had success with solar collection of K+.  Even when trying to do an orbit that just "dips" into the band I can't make a ship that won't overheat and explode.  I gave up long ago.

This. I can't get within probably 600k of the sun without everything going fireball. IDK how you're really supposed to combat that. 

2 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

to be fair it has been a hugely long time since I last tried.  Id say it wasn't long after the heat changes to stock.

Radiators are your friend when harvesting solar Karborundum. Also look at the temperature tolerance of every single part on your craft, and see if you can design it so that all parts are 2000K or higher. Using the more expensive versions of probe cores and deployable solar panels will help tremendously.

3 hours ago, Norcalplanner said:

Radiators are your friend when harvesting solar Karborundum. Also look at the temperature tolerance of every single part on your craft, and see if you can design it so that all parts are 2000K or higher. Using the more expensive versions of probe cores and deployable solar panels will help tremendously.

Yea I know.  As I mentioned in the post you quoted the last time I tried was right after heat changes. So I was using radiators.  However I'm guessing from other posts that maybe since then the band was moved outwards a bit to account for the heat changes.

Hey @RoverDude,

I really like the model and effects and animation of the Karbonite Radial Landing Legs, but currently you have the leg module commented out.

Checking the current Squad landing legs, I can see why, since they've replaced ModuleLandingLeg with a bunch of wheel modules.

I'd like to get them working like the stock legs (with suspension and proper friction, as right now they have no suspension so act really weird on landing, and then slide slowly down the most tiny, imperceptible hill; they'll slide along the launch pad, for example).

If I copied the LT-2 modules (minus animations, though I might keep sound effects) into kaRaidalLeg.cgf, do you have any advice on what settings to use for the settings in ModuleWheelBase, ModuleWheelSuspension, ModuleWheelLock, ModuleWheelBogey, and ModuleWheelDamage?

Is there any reason other than time that you haven't converted these yet? (Like that it wouldn't work?)

If I can get it working, I'd be happy to do a pull request with the fully set up config file.

Hi,

Just popping my head in to ask @RoverDude about this bug on github. It's been confirmed that the stock surface scanner doesn't show composition of asteroids. 

The stock scanner is not intended to work that way, apparently.

I appreciate that it's not an urgent problem, but it has been just over seven months now. @Mace from Space mentioned it back in October, @LatiMacciato asked about it again in December and @herman pointed it out again in April. 

Is the mod just no longer being worked on? If so then I'm happy to accept that, I just need closure :) 

Thanks!

That was a stock bug, which should have been sorted in 1.3. - i.e. nothing i could have done about it anyway :P

Yes, this mod is still being worked on.

And yeah... Sal was incorrect on what he said on that ticket.

Edited by RoverDude

Hi everybody =)

Have just recently started using Karbonite and Karbonite+ in my career save (still on KSP 1.2.2 ="> ) and was wondering if there's an efficient way of have an automated/unmanned Karbonite mining and resource base? Do kerbal experience add to the drilling and refining performance of Karbonite?

Regards and thanks =)

1 hour ago, ErevanGaming said:

Hi everybody =)

Have just recently started using Karbonite and Karbonite+ in my career save (still on KSP 1.2.2 ="> ) and was wondering if there's an efficient way of have an automated/unmanned Karbonite mining and resource base? Do kerbal experience add to the drilling and refining performance of Karbonite?

Regards and thanks =)

I've found that the best way is to use the exospheric collectors in orbit. The only problem is the luck of the draw - you may end up with usable concentrations at convenient altitudes, or not.

@ErevanGaming There is an efficient way, yes. Install a Portable Karbelectric generator (it and the big generator are in Utility, not Electric category... That should be fixed) on your base and deploy the base where Karbonite concentration is fairly high. Once your uptake is greater than the input amount for the generator (about 0.1/s) you don't need solar panels and can power 4 or 5 drills forever. That's it. There's no influence of kerbal skills on Karbonite gear so it can be unmanned without loss of efficiency.

As for @Norcalplanner's suggestion, Vall apparently has the best concentration of Karbonite in orbit. And Laythe's oceans are totally worth experimenting on with the oceanic harvester.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

@RoverDude

On 28/07/2017 at 0:21 PM, RoverDude said:

That was a stock bug, which should have been sorted in 1.3. - i.e. nothing i could have done about it anyway :P

Yes, this mod is still being worked on.

And yeah... Sal was incorrect on what he said on that ticket.

I raised another issue on the bug tracker (http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/15695) and the response seems to indicate that everything is working as intended.

Possibly because the only resource that's supposed to be in a stock asteroid is ore?

I'm no closer to determining who has ownership of this, and any assistance would be appreciated.

I'm having some real issues with keeping the karbonite-atmosphere jet engines fed with enough air. Specifically I'm using the KAE-150S engine with KA-400LA intake. Currently a single engine would require more than 1 intake to not run out of air, or one of those beefier 2.5m intakes. Yea, sure I could slap on more intakes but the added drag makes it almost impossible to get up to speeds where the engines would really kick in. Even at >20km altitude on Eve, I'm unable to reach mach 1.

Any thoughts?

@siimav That is normal. The Karbonite scoops are primarily harvesters for sifting the karbonite for the engines. (Fluid flow through a filter is not supposed to be great.) You still need a separate normal intake like a shock cone or precooler to provide enough air/atm to the engines.

5 hours ago, RoverDude said:

I already clarified this.  It was a stock bug that was sorted.

Here's a screenshot I just took of the surface scanning module activated while attached to an asteroid:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1101832855

Is this working as intended?

Edited by Kielm

20 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@ErevanGaming There is an efficient way, yes. Install a Portable Karbelectric generator (it and the big generator are in Utility, not Electric category... That should be fixed) on your base and deploy the base where Karbonite concentration is fairly high. Once your uptake is greater than the input amount for the generator (about 0.1/s) you don't need solar panels and can power 4 or 5 drills forever. That's it. There's no influence of kerbal skills on Karbonite gear so it can be unmanned without loss of efficiency.

As for @Norcalplanner's suggestion, Vall apparently has the best concentration of Karbonite in orbit. And Laythe's oceans are totally worth experimenting on with the oceanic harvester.

21 hours ago, Norcalplanner said:

I've found that the best way is to use the exospheric collectors in orbit. The only problem is the luck of the draw - you may end up with usable concentrations at convenient altitudes, or not.

Thanks @Norcalplanner and @JadeOfMaar for your tips =)

My 2nd attempt to set-up a LFO refinery on Mun using Karbonite-LFO conversion seems to be doing well compared to my 3rd attempt with straight-up ORE-LFO. Although my Karbonite refinery needs 12 sets of extractor ships each having 8 drills just to get a 1/sec extraction ratio =">

Again, thanks! =)

On 8/5/2017 at 6:08 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

@siimav That is normal. The Karbonite scoops are primarily harvesters for sifting the karbonite for the engines. (Fluid flow through a filter is not supposed to be great.) You still need a separate normal intake like a shock cone or precooler to provide enough air/atm to the engines.

Interesting...

Are the stock intakes supposed to also supply IntakeAtm resource? For me they apparently aren't working that way. Only parts I could find for for that resource, are the scoops.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.