[1.12.x] Karbonite/Karbonite Plus (K+)

RoverDude

1 minute ago, traisjames said:

What does that do Chilkoot?

Well, some of the Karbonite parts are not working in the latest version - like the scoops and converters especially - so this should make most of them work until RoverDude pushes a new release with his fixes baked in.

It's just a band-aid for people who may have saves that are not currently working.  So if you have a base or refueling station that relies on, say, karbonite conversion and power generation, this should hold you over until a proper fix is released.  Nothing fancy or robust, just a crutch.

On 3/2/2019 at 9:13 PM, Chilkoot said:

Well, some of the Karbonite parts are not working in the latest version - like the scoops and converters especially - so this should make most of them work until RoverDude pushes a new release with his fixes baked in.

It's just a band-aid for people who may have saves that are not currently working.  So if you have a base or refueling station that relies on, say, karbonite conversion and power generation, this should hold you over until a proper fix is released.  Nothing fancy or robust, just a crutch.

I mean what the line of code actually do?

This did something bad in my install - a whole bunch of parts 'disappeared' and prevented my savegame from loading. Mostly USI life support modules, but also some rover parts, wheels, etc. 

EDIT: I suggest adding -iname "*.cfg" to the find args; those are the only ones where the edit should be made. Further - this *could* just be due to me using cygwin to run this - but all .cfg files ended up with unix line termination. Running unix2dos on them fixes the issue.

Edited by TheOrqwithVagrant

On 3/10/2019 at 3:56 AM, TheOrqwithVagrant said:

This did something bad in my install - a whole bunch of parts 'disappeared' and prevented my savegame from loading. Mostly USI life support modules, but also some rover parts, wheels, etc. 

EDIT: I suggest adding -iname "*.cfg" to the find args; those are the only ones where the edit should be made. Further - this *could* just be due to me using cygwin to run this - but all .cfg files ended up with unix line termination. Running unix2dos on them fixes the issue.

I kind of expected this might be a problem for people using cygwin.  I was only able to test the script under Linux directly and under Win 10 using the "native" linux subsystem.

i remember when i was manually updating all the extractors to work with the latest update there were a few things that were also broken that werent based on those two, but i cant remember which now. its been a while since it came out and i didn't expect it to be long before it was fixed properly so i didn't make a list

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Nivee~ said:

I landed on a karbonite rich vein on Minmus, engaged my drills, and this happened:

l2JBTl2.png

There's no way to extract karbonite... What am I doing wrong?

Karbonite is outdated and not compatible anymore to the mechanics of MKS - see the posts above. You might wanna try this, but back up first:

• 1 month later...
On 3/2/2019 at 7:39 PM, Chilkoot said:

Dear, Chilkoot.

I am unfamiliar with UNIX command lines, yet attempted your fix for my system. However, I cannot seem to figure it out.

I am able to get into the KSP directory by typing:

cd Kerbal\ Space\ Program\

Which then gives me a > icon for command entry. I could not get the provided USI Harvester find code (Listed below) to do anything once I was at that directory.

find ./ -type f -iname *.cfg -exec sed -i -e 's/ModuleResourceHarvester_USI/USI_Harvester/g' {} \;

I attempted to do the following:

cd Kerbal\ Space \ Program\ GameData\ UmbraSpaceIndustries\
>find ./ -type f -iname *.cfg -exec sed -i -e 's/ModuleResourceHarvester_USI/USI_Harvester/g' {} \;

Which returns:

-bash: cd: too many arguments

Am I missing a command line for 'run'? or something? I tried looking through the Cygwin user manual as well as tried google but it just doesn't show anything. I am interested in getting Karbonite working for my save, especially I do not use life support mods and am not worried about anything breaking.

Thank you for your time, if you end up replying.

You sure you're first two commands didn't do anything?  Unix philosophy is generally to return nothing on success - it makes it easier to chain things together.  (Though the last slash on the first command may be an issue.)

The third command does have issues.  What you probably meant was this:

cd Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Gamedata/UmbraSpaceIndustries/;
find ./ -type f -iname *.cfg -exec sed -i -e 's/ModuleResourceHarvester_USI/USI_Harvester/g' {} \;

But that's basically nearly the same as doing the first two commands.   (The '\ ' is escaping a space, so that it doesn't separate the words.  The '/' indicates a directory.)

1 hour ago, DStaal said:

I've attempted what you've said, as well as various other command lines. (I've been looking through what different inputs and characters mean, but I haven't had time to sit down and learn everything just yet.)

I've gone and entered everything as stated, as well as other various entries amd took an image of my Cygwin dialog box to see if there's something I'm just not understanding.

45f2b89e95.png

If it ends up being impossible, I am sure I can live without the ability to convert/distill Karbonite, just kind of bugs me now that I'm getting invested in the solution.

Ok, where is your Kerbal install?  You're in your home/user directory, and I’m pretty sure it's not there, which is why this isn't working.

`cd` is 'change directory' - you need to enter either the full or relative path to your Kerbal install after it.  You're entering the relative path 'Kerbal Space Program', meaning 'a directory named "Kerbal Space Program" in my current directory', but it's not there.  If you can find it, that will help.

Otherwise if you have a Windows program that can do multi-file find and replace, that's all you're actually trying to do.

Kerbal is installed under my E:\ Drive. Specifically the path would be:

E:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program

Where as my Cygwin64 install is over in C:\Cygwin64
Would I have to change directory to the full path of the kerbal install, or is that an entirely different command? Should I have installed Cygwin to my E:\ drive?

9914ec7705.png

Alright, here's what I'm stuck with now.
I am running it as administrator and I am pretty sure I've got everything installed correctly. No idea at this point.

... On one hand, I'm not sure repairing all the Karbonite stuff is that important, but at the same time, at least it'll provide some framework for others until a proper update (if one is coming, I'm not sure.)

f8e00e163d.jpg

Alright, that last one did the trick. Everything is now working as intended, thank all of you for your help, and patience.

Also utilized the Karbonite Atmosphere scoop with a tank/distiller attached and gathered some up, successfully converting it to LF. I hope people with similar issues finds all of this helpful!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2019 at 7:19 PM, andtew0312 said:

As someone who has no idea how to use this coding and tech stuff is there another way that I can fix this issue? I don't mind waiting for the patch, but I do want to continue with karbonite

You could also use the following ModuleManager Patch:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleResourceConverter_USI]]:AFTER[UmbraSpaceIndustries]
{
    @MODULE[ModuleResourceConverter_USI],*
    {
        @name = ModuleResourceConverter
    }
}
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleResourceHarvester_USI]]:AFTER[UmbraSpaceIndustries]
{
    @MODULE[ModuleResourceHarvester_USI],*
    {
        @name = ModuleResourceHarvester
    }
}
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[MKSModule]]:AFTER[UmbraSpaceIndustries]
{
    !MODULE[MKSModule] {}
}

Just copy and paste the blue text into a file named "USIPatch.cfg" into the "GameData" directory of your KSP install.

This patch reflect the actual changes made to the source at GitHub of a yet to be released version of the mod.

Edited by Galenmacil
Simplified MM patch

• 7 months later...

I have just returned to KSP after a couple of years. It's good to be back. I want to explore the Karborundum (Karbonite+?) mod. I love the Coyote transport ship. I've downloaded the Coyote no problem, but I'm having a hard time finding mods that provide Karborundum fuel for it. I am using KSP 1.8. Are these mods no longer available?

34 minutes ago, Omar X said:

I have just returned to KSP after a couple of years. It's good to be back. I want to explore the Karborundum (Karbonite+?) mod. I love the Coyote transport ship. I've downloaded the Coyote no problem, but I'm having a hard time finding mods that provide Karborundum fuel for it. I am using KSP 1.8. Are these mods no longer available?

It was integrated into the karbonite mod.  It is not separate anymore.

14 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

It was integrated into the karbonite mod.  It is not separate anymore.

Cool. Thanks so much for your quick response. Now I just have to figure out how convert/collect karborundum. Not finding much about it. Thanks again.

2 hours ago, Omar X said:

finding mods that provide Karborundum fuel for it. I am using KSP 1.8. Are these mods no longer available?

Karbonite+ includes drills and one (maybe two) particle scoops for Karborundum. Mods that provide Ka+ typically come in the form of planet packs as it is the planets and stars that provide it in-game. You must explore with the Ka+ detector to find planets that contain it or find the altitude in low orbit of the star(s). Once you have these locations you must deploy mining infrastructure and build up Ka+ depots and then you can conveniently fly Coyote freighters.

Two of the stock planets and a certain altitude in Low Sun Orbit possess Ka+. The planet packs that I know of, which also provide Ka+ include:

• Galileo's Planet Pack
  • Grannus Expansion Pack
  • The World Beyond
  • Outer Planets Mod (I think)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.