[1.2 - 1.4] Modular Rocket Systems v1.13.2 (2018-03-12) - Stock-alike Parts Pack

NecroBones

As an aside, I'm working on 5m parts (not for this mod, as it will be a separate pack), and I think the fuel tanks are turning out to be very pretty:

http://www.necrobones.net/screenshots/KSP/KSP%202014-11-05%2017-56-39-10.jpg

SpaceY is launching! As a beta, anyway. :)

Thread for it: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/100408

Javascript is disabled. View full album

ONe4glk.jpg

FYI - a couple things regarding tweakscale in your parts:

1) If you are willing to have ModuleManager as a dependency (seems reasonable), then it is far more efficient and easy to tweak stuff if you do not include any TweakScale modules in your parts themselves and instead write an MM patch that applies particular scaletypes to particular parts. If someone using your mod wants to change the sizes the engines can be, for example, they don't have to go into every single part's config and alter the sizes there.

This is made even easier if you name your parts according to a slightly different scheme than the one you have, like "NB_Engine_25_LFO/Jet/whatever_Name", and then you can apply the same scaletype very easily to all engines with a 2.5m diameter. But it's not really a big deal to just name all the parts individually in a tweakscale MM patch either.

2) Second, there's a problem with some of your TS code, like in the fuel tank adapters. This doesn't work:

MODULE

{

name = TweakScale

type = stack

defaultScale = 2.5

scaleFactors = 1.25, 2.5, 5.0

scaleNames = 1.25m to 0.625, 2.5m to 1.25m, 5.0m to 2.5m

}

The scaletype "stack" already defines a particular set of scaleFactors and scaleNames, but then you define your own on top of those. You need to write your own SCALETYPE{}, use Biotronic's adapter scaletypes included with TS, or simply not refer to a "type" if you want to make a one-off unique-to-a-part set of scales, I believe. Again, far more efficient to write an MM config. Go scale the adapter tanks up and down a few times in the VAB and you'll see why this is a problem as-is. :)

Edited by AccidentalDisassembly

Well, so far I've been avoiding having any dependencies at all, including MM, for the sake of people who are only installing parts-packs and don't want to mess with plugins that go sour with new KSP versions. That's been expressed as important, by a few people here. MM isn't that big of a deal, but I've been able to resist it so far.

One of the things that was nice about TweakScale, is that they made a big point of giving control to the modder, over how the part will be scaled. That's appealing, so I don't mind having the configs in the individual parts. But I'll keep this in mind. It's not a "No", just something I'll consider. :)

For part #2, I'm wondering if something changed in TS recently. This all worked fine before, and it conforms to their examples on their forum thread. For instance, they provide an example specifically for the "stack" type, that simply limits the sizes that are available:

MODULE
{
name = TweakScale
type = stack
scaleFactors = 2.5, 3.75
scaleNames = 2.5m, 3.75m
}

I used that example, and it worked fine when I first implemented it. Maybe TS has a bug in the current version?

EDIT: I just tried out the new version of TS, and the only thing I see it doing wrong, is defaulting to the wrong size (the largest), but then scaling correctly within the defined list.

Edited by NecroBones

So now that you've launched an actual Space-X-a-like mod, I'm going to re-suggest something I mentioned a while back. I don't think you said it was impossible but if it is, ignore this post. How about some retractable paddle fins?

B3EsTeDIUAAO86M.jpg

Is is possible to make a part that functions as a fin, or at least has high drag, but can be retracted and lose its fin functionality or have drag go down to zero/near zero? It seems like the high drag/low drag approach would be similar to the way parachutes work in game, except that parachutes only go one way until they get repacked. That wouldn't give you control but it would allow you to change/reverse your craft's aerodynamic stability as needed.

So now that you've launched an actual Space-X-a-like mod, I'm going to re-suggest something I mentioned a while back. I don't think you said it was impossible but if it is, ignore this post. How about some retractable paddle fins?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B3EsTeDIUAAO86M.jpg

Is is possible to make a part that functions as a fin, or at least has high drag, but can be retracted and lose its fin functionality or have drag go down to zero/near zero? It seems like the high drag/low drag approach would be similar to the way parachutes work in game, except that parachutes only go one way until they get repacked. That wouldn't give you control but it would allow you to change/reverse your craft's aerodynamic stability as needed.

I'd like to do something like that, but as far as I know, the stock drag-model doesn't support changing the drag based on a part's animation state. So it would need a plugin of some kind, unless just used for visuals. I'm not sure whether FAR/NEAR would do the right thing, but for otherwise stock aerodynamics, somehow the drag values would need to be updated.

It's definitely something to keep in mind. Air-brakes, and grid-fins would be cool.

Just pushed out an update with some minor changes.

1.3 (2014-11-24) - Minor Update
- Added "Community Tech Tree" support, by moving the quad-nuke to "Improved Nuclear Propulsion" node, if CTT is also installed.
- Moved "Flingatron" later in tech tree, to Heavy Rocketry.
- Corrected the "Flingatron" exhaust position
- Removed TweakScale size restrictions from adapter pieces, and added support for those that needed it.
- (The idea here is to allow full freedom in scaling, even if the size adapters don't make sense at some scales)

Is there any chance to disable Tweakscale in MRS, or get a version that haven't it? I use TS only with several selected parts, and I'd like to remove it from MRS to avoid any accidental scale changes.

Not at the moment, short of deleting the TS settings from each part config. There was already a request in the thread about moving the TS configs to a ModuleManager config for easy access, but I haven't done that yet.

I was going to say that it would require me to start including MM in the pack, but that's probably not true. I think TS comes with it. So I may go ahead and look into it, but it likely won't be this week.

FYI - a couple things regarding tweakscale in your parts:

1) If you are willing to have ModuleManager as a dependency (seems reasonable), then it is far more efficient and easy to tweak stuff if you do not include any TweakScale modules in your parts themselves and instead write an MM patch that applies particular scaletypes to particular parts. If someone using your mod wants to change the sizes the engines can be, for example, they don't have to go into every single part's config and alter the sizes there.

This is made even easier if you name your parts according to a slightly different scheme than the one you have, like "NB_Engine_25_LFO/Jet/whatever_Name", and then you can apply the same scaletype very easily to all engines with a 2.5m diameter. But it's not really a big deal to just name all the parts individually in a tweakscale MM patch either.

2) Second, there's a problem with some of your TS code, like in the fuel tank adapters. This doesn't work:

The scaletype "stack" already defines a particular set of scaleFactors and scaleNames, but then you define your own on top of those. You need to write your own SCALETYPE{}, use Biotronic's adapter scaletypes included with TS, or simply not refer to a "type" if you want to make a one-off unique-to-a-part set of scales, I believe. Again, far more efficient to write an MM config. Go scale the adapter tanks up and down a few times in the VAB and you'll see why this is a problem as-is. :)

Is there any chance to disable Tweakscale in MRS, or get a version that haven't it? I use TS only with several selected parts, and I'd like to remove it from MRS to avoid any accidental scale changes.

OK, following up on this, I definitely made a mistake yesterday with taking out the scale restrictions in the adapter parts. Today I pushed out a small update that fixes all of this.

1.3.1 (2014-11-25) - TweakScale fixes
- Moved all TweakScale configs to a file called "MRS_TweakScale.cfg", and out of the part configs.
- Change all size-adapter pieces to use the preconfigured "adapter" TweakScale types.

I still couldn't find anything wrong with the way I had it originally, and it followed the examples pretty closely. However, my 1.3 update yesterday made things worse, not better, so I took advantage of the opportunity to move the configs out to a separate file for easy deletion/modification, and set it to use the adapter-scales where appropriate.

Enjoy! :)

Edited by NecroBones

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B3EsTeDIUAAO86M.jpg

there are paddle fins here

OK, following up on this, I definitely made a mistake yesterday with taking out the scale restrictions in the adapter parts. Today I pushed out a small update that fixes all of this.

1.3.1 (2014-11-25) - TweakScale fixes
- Moved all TweakScale configs to a file called "MRS_TweakScale.cfg", and out of the part configs.
- Change all size-adapter pieces to use the preconfigured "adapter" TweakScale types.

I still couldn't find anything wrong with the way I had it originally, and it followed the examples pretty closely. However, my 1.3 update yesterday made things worse, not better, so I took advantage of the opportunity to move the configs out to a separate file for easy deletion/modification, and set it to use the adapter-scales where appropriate.

Enjoy! :)

Thanks for a quick update!

Thanks for the radial command thing. I started using this with a new 64k science-only save last night and it has really simplified things. Slapping a radial command pod onto the side is far easier than trying to shoehorn one of Squad's inline probe cores into the stack.

C6MXWwCl.png

First off, I'd like to thank you enormously for the cargo bays, which I have abused immensely to keep my new Duna lander streamlined for FAR. Second, the SpaceY fuel tank config is written and submitted to Nathan. If you're wondering: the blue thing is just a procedural battery that I used as a central post to stick stuff on. I initially had them attached to the outside, but the bulkiness of the mystery goo model meant they weren't shielded according to FAR, at which point I got the idea of hanging something down from the top to attach them to.

Fw9n1qm.png

Edited by Starman4308

Hi again Necrobones!

There seems to be a problem with the new MRS_TweakScale.cfg and TweakScale 1.4.7, the parts do not scale in my install. SpaceY seems to work fine though. Had a quick look at the .cfg itself, couldn't spot an obvious difference. Module Manager does not shoot an error in the output log, the .cfg seems to load without glitching. A bit at loss what causes it. Output log available here.

I gladly provide any further information needed, just give a hint.

Thank you for your help,

Regards

Edit: Forgot to mention, I'm running x86 and MM 2.5.1 is installed.

Edited by E.Nygma

Hi again Necrobones!

There seems to be a problem with the new MRS_TweakScale.cfg and TweakScale 1.4.7, the parts do not scale in my install. SpaceY seems to work fine though. Had a quick look at the .cfg itself, couldn't spot an obvious difference. Module Manager does not shoot an error in the output log, the .cfg seems to load without glitching. A bit at loss what causes it. Output log available here.

Thank you for your help,

Regards

Dunno bout that exact issue, but TweakScale 1.47 is bugged with auto-scaling. It will just randomly resize things...

Hi again Necrobones!

Thank you for your help,

Regards

I'm not in a spot to fix it, but took a quick peek at my config, and I see the issue. I thought I fixed it before uploading.

The first three module entries are missing the open-curly "{" right after each "PART" line. You can edit that in by hand if you like. I'll have to fix it later when I'm not doing this on my phone. :)

Thanks for a quick update!

My pleasure!

Thanks for the radial command thing. I started using this with a new 64k science-only save last night and it has really simplified things. Slapping a radial command pod onto the side is far easier than trying to shoehorn one of Squad's inline probe cores into the stack.

http://i.imgur.com/C6MXWwCl.png

Fantastic! Yeah, I'm often reaching for it myself when testing parts for my other packs. It's so convenient.

Did any one say Stock integration :) Please :)

That would be cool. I doubt they'll go for it though. Heh. :)

First off, I'd like to thank you enormously for the cargo bays, which I have abused immensely to keep my new Duna lander streamlined for FAR. Second, the SpaceY fuel tank config is written and submitted to Nathan. If you're wondering: the blue thing is just a procedural battery that I used as a central post to stick stuff on. I initially had them attached to the outside, but the bulkiness of the mystery goo model meant they weren't shielded according to FAR, at which point I got the idea of hanging something down from the top to attach them to.

http://i.imgur.com/Fw9n1qm.png

Man, that's awesome. I love it!

Hi again Necrobones!

Thank you for your help,

Regards

I'm not in a spot to fix it, but took a quick peek at my config, and I see the issue. I thought I fixed it before uploading.

The first three module entries are missing the open-curly "{" right after each "PART" line. You can edit that in by hand if you like. I'll have to fix it later when I'm not doing this on my phone. :)

OK, here's what happened. I did fix it before uploading, and the mod is correct on KerbalStuff and on Curse. However, the copy on necrobones.com (my own freaking server) was the one that had an incomplete config. It was missing the SCALETYPE definition, etc, as well as those curly-braces. I'm borrowing a laptop and was able to fix it. So all you need to do is re-download it and tweakscale should work OK.

Okay, that explains it, had my copy from necrobones.com. Redownloading now.

And thank you, I know you're rather busy so I much appreciate you taking precious time to help!

Edit: Jepp, that was the cause, now works perfectly, thanks again

Edited by E.Nygma

Okay, that explains it, had my copy from necrobones.com. Redownloading now.

And thank you, I know you're rather busy so I much appreciate you taking precious time to help!

Edit: Jepp, that was the cause, now works perfectly, thanks again

Awesome! Glad it's working.

That was much easier than I thought it was going to be, at first, since I was thinking "I SWEAR I FIXED THAT!" Heh. :)

The following error was in my log, I resolved it by copying SYtank5m-Specular

From SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/FuelTanks/SYtank5m-Specular

To ModRocketSys/Parts/FuelTank/NBjumboThreeQ/

[TABLE=width: 989]

[TR]

[TD][LOG 19:25:35.196] Load(Model): ModRocketSys/Parts/FuelTank/NBjumboThreeQ/model[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][ERR 19:25:35.199] Texture 'ModRocketSys/Parts/FuelTank/NBjumboThreeQ/SYtank5m-Specular' not found!

Was it used as a base I wonder? Thanks

EDIT: Corrected information.[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Edited by Aivoh

The following error was in my log, I resolved it by copying SYtank5m-Specular

From SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/FuelTanks/SYtank5m-Specular

To ModRocketSys/Parts/FuelTank/NBjumboThreeQ/

[TABLE=width: 989]

[TR]

[TD][LOG 19:25:35.196] Load(Model): ModRocketSys/Parts/FuelTank/NBjumboThreeQ/model[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][ERR 19:25:35.199] Texture 'ModRocketSys/Parts/FuelTank/NBjumboThreeQ/SYtank5m-Specular' not found!

Was it used as a base I wonder? Thanks

EDIT: Corrected information.[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Thanks! Somehow that slipped past me. It shouldn't be referencing SpaceY at all. By the looks of it, I had recompiled the model in Unity, but the flag-decal was set to a SpaceY texture because the same "material" name was in place in Unity. It's just the default texture that the flag would load with, before being set to your actual flag image.

I've fixed it on my side. I'll get an update out soon.

OK, minor-fix update is out.

1.3.2 (2014-12-03) - Error correction
- Fixed a texture loading problem with the "three-quarter jumbo" fuel tank.
- Moved size-0 and size-2 docking helpers later into tech tree, to the nodes with the appropriate docking ports.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.