[1.2 - 1.4] Modular Rocket Systems v1.13.2 (2018-03-12) - Stock-alike Parts Pack

NecroBones

That's a pretty sweet mockup! I've always wondered where the design considerations for the tanks came from, guess I know!

Although the nitpicker in me is horrified at the increase in dry weight due to using the smaller tanks when a bigger one will do...

Also, needs moar booster.

That's a pretty sweet mockup! I've always wondered where the design considerations for the tanks came from, guess I know!

Although the nitpicker in me is horrified at the increase in dry weight due to using the smaller tanks when a bigger one will do...

Also, needs moar booster.

Nah, all the 2.5m tanks should have the same dry/wet mass ratio. It just creates more flex by having a higher part count with more joints. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there,

Neat mod!

Minor glitch though, the "ModuleTestSubject"s on both fuel cells seem to be misconfigured: they have useStaging = True, useEvent = False, and there does not seem to be a staging action for the parts.

Edit: oooh, could it be supposed to be tested during EVA? Going to check, BRB.

Edit 2: Nope, EVA wasn't the trick. In case anybody hits this particular snag, the following ModuleManager patch should set you straight:

@PART[NBfuelCell*] {
@MODULE[ModuleTestSubject] {
@useStaging = False
@useEvent = True
}
}

(You need ModuleManager to use this; copy the above text and save it in a file named WhateverYouLike.cfg somewhere under the GameData folder.)

Edited by CriticalChewie

Hello there,

Neat mod!

Minor glitch though, the "ModuleTestSubject"s on both fuel cells seem to be misconfigured: they have useStaging = True, useEvent = False, and there does not seem to be a staging action for the parts.

Edit: oooh, could it be supposed to be tested during EVA? Going to check, BRB.

Edit 2: Nope, EVA wasn't the trick. In case anybody hits this particular snag, the following ModuleManager patch should set you straight:

@PART[NBfuelCell*] {
@MODULE[ModuleTestSubject] {
@useStaging = False
@useEvent = True
}
}

(You need ModuleManager to use this; copy the above text and save it in a file named WhateverYouLike.cfg somewhere under the GameData folder.)

Hi there! Good catch, I completely missed that. I have it fixed on my side. Since KSP 0.90 will probably pop this week (considering they're putting out release videos now), I'll probably have to release some fixes this week anyway, so I'll hold onto it until then.

Another fix for those who want to fix it themselves, is to edit the files directly, and swap the True/False values in these files (near the bottom, and you can edit with notepad in Windows, or whatever):

GameData\ModRocketSys\Parts\Utility\NBfuelCellRadial\part.cfg
GameData\ModRocketSys\Parts\Utility\NBfuelCell1m\part.cfg

Edited by NecroBones

KSP 0.90 is out, and it looks so far like I don't need to fix anything. For now I'll let KSP split out the engines & fuel tanks into the new categories, and will leave basic SAS on the reaction wheels. I can change that if people complain. ;)

I'm just waiting for KerbalStuff and CurseForge to have 0.90 as a version choice before uploading the last round of fixes (I held onto a few just in case I needed to fix more when 0.90 popped), otherwise we should be good to go.

I'm just waiting for KerbalStuff and CurseForge to have 0.90 as a version choice before uploading the last round of fixes (I held onto a few just in case I needed to fix more when 0.90 popped), otherwise we should be good to go.

Since I'm running out of evening, and neither site has updated yet, I went ahead and uploaded anyway. We can fix the KSP version settings later.

Change log:

1.4 (2014-12-15) - Fixes, And so on.
- No changes necessary for 0.90:
- Engine/FuelTank split is automatic
- Leaving SAS basic capability on the reaction wheel parts for now.
- Fixed the career-mode testing requirements on the fuel cell parts, so that contracts can be completed.
- Added HotRockets support for most engines.
- Moved Fuel Cells to the "Fuel Systems" tech node.

Just to give my 2 cents, if you are trying to keep this pack stock-a-like and mostly inline with stock progression, then as you mentioned above, the SAS "stability assist" on your 2 probe cores should probably be removed. Not that it wasn't nice having it, but unlocking the Stayputnik in the 3rd tier is a significant step down from the guidance cone, and the radial, being small and simple and weightless, should probably be on the same level as the Stayputnik, with no reaction wheels and no SAS, just giving you control of whatever systems you have on your craft but not providing any additional abilities on its own. That is just my feeling, though. It is still a big improvement over stock having a probe at the start, since it is pretty silly to have to launch a kerbal just to test a decoupler spashed down or an SRB landed.

Edited by The Yellow Dart

Just to give my 2 cents, if you are trying to keep this pack stock-a-like and mostly inline with stock progression, then as you mentioned above, the SAS "stability assist" on your 2 probe cores should probably be removed. Not that it wasn't nice having it, but unlocking the Stayputnik in the 3rd tier is a significant step down from the guidance cone, and the radial, being small and simple and weightless, should probably be on the same level as the Stayputnik, with no reaction wheels and no SAS, just giving you control of whatever systems you have on your craft but not providing any additional abilities on its own. That is just my feeling, though. It is still a big improvement over stock having a probe at the start, since it is pretty silly to have to launch a kerbal just to test a decoupler spashed down or an SRB landed.

Yeah, I was already thinking of doing that. You're right, that is the point-- just to give you a means of control and nothing more. I have the change ready. Since nothing else is on the list at the moment, I may just put this out as version 1.4.2.

Question, how do I either avoid or reduce the amount of times MRS part contracts keep showing up? I always try to use part contracts, at the start of the career, to get some parts before I have the science to unlock them (like the nuclear engines or rapiers) but part contracts keep popping with 0.625 m MRS turbojets or other stuff which isn't as game changing as nukes

Question, how do I either avoid or reduce the amount of times MRS part contracts keep showing up? I always try to use part contracts, at the start of the career, to get some parts before I have the science to unlock them (like the nuclear engines or rapiers) but part contracts keep popping with 0.625 m MRS turbojets or other stuff which isn't as game changing as nukes

Hi there! I'd just cancel them. There's only a penalty if you cancel them after accepting the contract. You can refuse them up-front without penalty.

Unfortunately KSP treats all of the parts the same, so there's no settings anywhere to tell it to use a particular mod's (or a particular manufacturer's) parts less frequently than others. The settings for each part come down to "yes, include this part", then and telling it which locations it can be tested in, such as flying, space, or surface. That's about it.

So like I said, I'd just refuse the ones you don't want.

Hi there! I'd just cancel them. There's only a penalty if you cancel them after accepting the contract. You can refuse them up-front without penalty.

Unfortunately KSP treats all of the parts the same, so there's no settings anywhere to tell it to use a particular mod's (or a particular manufacturer's) parts less frequently than others. The settings for each part come down to "yes, include this part", then and telling it which locations it can be tested in, such as flying, space, or surface. That's about it.

So like I said, I'd just refuse the ones you don't want.

The problem is (was) that cancel, for instance, the 0.625 jet contract... and get another test contract for the same part. You just pointed me to the configuration section on the parts that allows me to make them ineligible though - off to erase that module in your jet and in the stock ants engines now. And to add it to the quad engine, and maybe the sr docking port

The problem is (was) that cancel, for instance, the 0.625 jet contract... and get another test contract for the same part. You just pointed me to the configuration section on the parts that allows me to make them ineligible though - off to erase that module in your jet and in the stock ants engines now. And to add it to the quad engine, and maybe the sr docking port

Yeah, it does do some limiting based on tech-level or size/cost or something (I don't know the rules). But yes, that is the other option, to delete the configs. :)

One suggestion I have for the MRS nosecone probe is to remove the reaction wheel from it. The Stayputnik is the first probe in stock and it does not come with a reaction wheel. Or at least reduce the power of its reaction wheel, as it has 12 where even the mk1 command pod only has a strength of 5. The first stock probe with a built in reaction wheel only has a strength of 0.3.

The MRS Nosecone probe just seems a little too advanced for the stock game. This is only a suggestion if you want to stick to a more stock tech progression. I personally have edited the cfg file myself to remove the reaction wheel.

One suggestion I have for the MRS nosecone probe is to remove the reaction wheel from it. The Stayputnik is the first probe in stock and it does not come with a reaction wheel. Or at least reduce the power of its reaction wheel, as it has 12 where even the mk1 command pod only has a strength of 5. The first stock probe with a built in reaction wheel only has a strength of 0.3.

The MRS Nosecone probe just seems a little too advanced for the stock game. This is only a suggestion if you want to stick to a more stock tech progression. I personally have edited the cfg file myself to remove the reaction wheel.

I agree with this.

But you also should consider to get SAS back. It was a quite useful part in former versions (as there is no nosecone-shaped probes in the stock game), but now it's kinda useless for late game.

I agree with this.

But you also should consider to get SAS back. It was a quite useful part in former versions (as there is no nosecone-shaped probes in the stock game), but now it's kinda useless for late game.

Yeah, I'm a little torn. I agree the reaction wheels are a little powerful for the early career. I have that set to reduce to 4 now, so that it provides some torque, but not overly powerful. I may actually put the SAS back on. Since it's just basic SAS, it's only enough to hold a straight line, which is probably OK. The cone can't be used inline, so it's hard to use it with manned pods or find late-game uses for it. It really is meant to give you an unmanned alternative right at the start, albeit a limited one. So that's a good argument.

Alright, I think what I'll do is put out 1.4.3 with the reaction wheel set to 4, and basic SAS re-added.

Yeah, I'm a little torn. I agree the reaction wheels are a little powerful for the early career. I have that set to reduce to 4 now, so that it provides some torque, but not overly powerful. I may actually put the SAS back on. Since it's just basic SAS, it's only enough to hold a straight line, which is probably OK. The cone can't be used inline, so it's hard to use it with manned pods or find late-game uses for it. It really is meant to give you an unmanned alternative right at the start, albeit a limited one. So that's a good argument.

Alright, I think what I'll do is put out 1.4.3 with the reaction wheel set to 4, and basic SAS re-added.

I went ahead and pushed this out. Additional feedback on it is always welcome of course. :)

1.4.3 (2014-12-22) - More 0.90 adjustment
- Reduced reaction wheel strength in Guidance Nose Cone for career balancing.
- Reverted removal (re-added) the basic SAS capability in the Guidance Nose Cone.
- Added basic Deadly Reentry support for the nose cones and guidance cone.

I`m looking to get a mod of this type after seeing this one on Ckan and I wanted to know the ISP, mass and thrust of your engines (and what other parts are included) but I can`t find a table or list of any kind. Could someone point me to one please?

(Tested on 1.4.1, dunno if fixed) It seems that adding those size-0 SAS parts does not actually give a vessel SAS capability? Is it a problem where there is no way to add SAS functionality without it being a command module in and of itself...

They're reaction wheels, no SAS functionality is provided. There's a lot of mixing of terms about SAS/torque wheels, even in the stock parts.

I`m looking to get a mod of this type after seeing this one on Ckan and I wanted to know the ISP, mass and thrust of your engines (and what other parts are included) but I can`t find a table or list of any kind. Could someone point me to one please?

It's a good idea to add one anyway. I'll add this to the OP:

[table]

[tr][td]Engine[/td][td]Mass[/td][td]Thrust[/td][td]ISP[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]0.625m "Sparkler"[/td][td]0.25[/td][td]25[/td][td]300-390[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]0.625m Monopropellant[/td][td]0.15[/td][td]30[/td][td]220-290[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]2.5m Quad-Nuclear[/td][td]9[/td][td]240[/td][td]220-800[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]3.75m Quad-Cluster[/td][td]9.75[/td][td]3330[/td][td]320-350[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]3.75m "Terrier"[/td][td]5[/td][td]600[/td][td]270-390[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]0.625m Basic Jet[/td][td]0.25[/td][td]37.5[/td][td]1000-2000[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]0.625m Turbo Jet[/td][td]0.3[/td][td]56.25[/td][td]900-2400[/td][/tr]

[/table]

Fuel Tanks:

• Small radial LFO tank
  • 2.5m x 1.875m "mini orange" (X200-16 Equivalent)
  • 2.5m x 3.75m (black/white striped, X200-32 Equivalent)
  • 2.5m x 5.625m (black/white striped, 75% Jumbo-64 Equivalent)
  • 2.5m x 7.5m (black/white striped, Jumbo-64 Equivalent)
  • 0.625m Probe Tank (longer than Oscar-B, mass ratio on par with larger tanks)
  • 0.625m Jet Fuel Tank, Short
  • 0.625m Jet Fuel Tank, Long
  • Size adapter, 3.75m -> 2.5m
  • Size adapter, 2.5m -> 1.25m
  • 3.75m Monopropellant
  • 1.25m Radial Booster Tank
  • 0.625m Xenon Sphere Tank
  • 1.25m Xenon Sphere Tank

Intakes:

• 0.625m Basic Air Intake
  • 0.625m Ram Air Intake
  • 1.25m Ram Air Intake

Cargo Bays:

• 1.25m x 1.875m long
  • 2.5m x 1.875m long
  • 2.5m x 3.75m long

Probe Cores:

• Guidance Nose Cone (basic SAS, weak reaction wheels, only one stack node)
  • Radial Probe Core (control only, massless, no SAS or reaction wheels)

Reaction Wheels:

• 0.625m, stackable and radially attachable.
  • 2.5m, (slightly stronger than stock, and actual 2.5m attachment nodes unlike stock)
  • 3.75m

Utility:

• Flingatron (3x Sepratron)
  • LAS Tower (Launch Abort System, modeled after NASA's Orion)
  • LAS Pod Shroud (Fits over 3-man stock pod with a docking port)
  • Radial Battery (1.5x Z-400)
  • Docking Helper, 0.625m
  • Docking Helper, 1.25m (ring of lights for the outside of a docking port)
  • Docking Helper, 2.5m
  • Fuel Cell, 1.25m stackable
  • Fuel Cell, Radial (fuel cells use fuel to generate electricity when turned on)
  • RCS 5-way Block
  • RCS "Corner" Diagonal Block

Structural & Aerodynamic:

• Mini-Radial Decoupler
  • Decoupler, 2.5m "Slimline"
  • Decoupler, 2.5m "Low Profile"
  • Interstage Decoupler/Adapter, 3.75m -> 2.5m, w/ monopropellant
  • Adapter, 1.25m -> 4x 0.625m
  • Adapter, 1.25m -> 5x 0.625m
  • Adapter, 2.5m -> 1.25m
  • Adapter, 2.5m -> 5x 1.25m
  • Adapter, 3.75m -> 3x 2.5m
  • Adapter, 3.75m -> 7x 1.25m
  • Adapter, Flat 2.5m -> 1.25m
  • Adapter, Flat 3.75m -> 2.5m
  • Nose Cone, Aerodynamic, 0.625m
  • Nose Cone, Aerodynamic, 1.25m
  • Nose Cone, Booster, 1.25m
  • Nose Cone, Rounded Dome, 1.25m
  • Nose Cone, Rounded Dome, 2.5m
  • Aerodynamic Pylon, Small
  • Aerodynamic Pylon, Medium
  • Aerodynamic Pylon, Large

(Tested on 1.4.1, dunno if fixed) It seems that adding those size-0 SAS parts does not actually give a vessel SAS capability? Is it a problem where there is no way to add SAS functionality without it being a command module in and of itself...
They're reaction wheels, no SAS functionality is provided. There's a lot of mixing of terms about SAS/torque wheels, even in the stock parts.

Yeah, the confusion is that I left the SAS modules on the reaction wheel parts. So if it's not providing the capability without also having a control function on the same part, I should probably just remove it. I'm guessing that's what they did in 0.90 as part of the SAS revamp.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.