[1.2 - 1.4] Modular Rocket Systems v1.13.2 (2018-03-12) - Stock-alike Parts Pack

NecroBones

I am really enjoying this mod, but I noticed a minor issue when using this mod together with FTP.
As far as I now, it should enable the FTP textures on the MRS tanks, but for me it doesn't work and I have to suffer the terrible orange color of the quarter Jumbo. ;.; Is this working as intended? Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

25 minutes ago, Alpha188 said:

I am really enjoying this mod, but I noticed a minor issue when using this mod together with FTP.
As far as I now, it should enable the FTP textures on the MRS tanks, but for me it doesn't work and I have to suffer the terrible orange color of the quarter Jumbo. ;.; Is this working as intended? Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Yep, MRS doesn't actually have FTP integration. It's ColorCodedCanisters that self-enables color switching with FTP, and so it'll just be the stock X200-16 tank that gives you that size in multiple colors.

The funny thing is that the orange on that quarter jumbo is actually the orange of the stock Jumbo, pulling straight from the same texture. It just doesn't apply the normal map that gives it the lumpiness. It was one of the first parts I ever made, so it's pretty simplistic.

48 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

Updated:

1.11.1 (2016-01-29) - Fixes.
 - Corrected a typo with thermalMassModifier in the LAS Shroud.
 - Corrected a typo with Agency mentality.
 - Added a note in the "Inline Drill" description warning against using it as a root part.

You could just disable it from being used as a root part, but yeah people could use the root gizmo to set it as a root part.

On 28 gennaio 2016 at 8:51 PM, NecroBones said:

Yep, MRS doesn't actually have FTP integration. It's ColorCodedCanisters that self-enables color switching with FTP, and so it'll just be the stock X200-16 tank that gives you that size in multiple colors.

The funny thing is that the orange on that quarter jumbo is actually the orange of the stock Jumbo, pulling straight from the same texture. It just doesn't apply the normal map that gives it the lumpiness. It was one of the first parts I ever made, so it's pretty simplistic.

Oh I know that it's the color of the stock Jumbo tank, that's why I don't like it! :sticktongue:
Anyway, is there a possibility that in the near future both MRS and CCC will be able to use the textures from FTP? I'm using all three mods and it would be great!

2 hours ago, Alpha188 said:

Oh I know that it's the color of the stock Jumbo tank, that's why I don't like it! :sticktongue:
Anyway, is there a possibility that in the near future both MRS and CCC will be able to use the textures from FTP? I'm using all three mods and it would be great!

Since CCC already has it, and between that and FTP there all of the same sizes are covered, so I didn't prioritize adding anything to MRS. But it's a bit of a debate (sort-of) as to do with those same-sized tanks in MRS. One line of thought is to add the color switching, and another is to remove them as being redundant (or rather, hide them so that they still work for existing vessels). I'm not sure what's best.

2 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

Since CCC already has it, and between that and FTP there all of the same sizes are covered, so I didn't prioritize adding anything to MRS. But it's a bit of a debate (sort-of) as to do with those same-sized tanks in MRS. One line of thought is to add the color switching, and another is to remove them as being redundant (or rather, hide them so that they still work for existing vessels). I'm not sure what's best.

I think it would be ideal to disable them, but hiding them might be fine. I've become a lot less RAM stingy in the post-DTL world. 

4 minutes ago, CaptainStrider said:

Personally i'd say you should deprecate the fuel tanks in MRS and merge/update them into CCC/FTP seems more appropriate than having some tanks in one pack, some in another and duplicates in both.

Yeah right now I'm thinking this is the most likely path. They would be (at least for a while) remain hidden so that they work on existing vessels, and then get phased out later.

Hi,

About the ConnectedLivingSpace config of MRS:

• Is the decoupler ("MRS Decoupler, 2.5m Stack, Slimline", NBdecouplerSlim2m) intended to be impassable, as it is?
  • And how about the cargo bays? ("MRS Rocket Payload Bay, 1.25m", NBcargoBay1m1; "MRS Rocket Payload Bay, 2.5m Long", NBcargoBay2m1; "MRS Rocket Payload Bay, 2.5m Short", NBcargoBay2m0)

The context for such a seemingly silly question is that I'm updating the configs that come with CLS for Papa_Joe. There is an optional "freedom" config provided in CLS, which makes some additional stock parts, such as decouplers, passable. Hence, if the MRS decoupler is intended as impassable by the MRS mod itself, then for consistency purposes, it could be a candidate for tweaking by the "freedom" config in CLS.

As for the discussion above, are there replacements for the fractional jumbos in FTP? I've used them quite a lot, since in my opinion they look somehow cleaner than the stock 2.5m tanks. Maybe it's the wrinkly look of the Rockomax.

If I had to pick one part in MRS I've never used, it would be the "MRS Decoupler, 3.75m to 2.5m Interstage Adapter" (NBinterstageDecoupler3m). Its combination of capabilities is pretty much unique, but I suppose I've never needed all three in the same place :)

20 minutes ago, Technologicat said:

Hi,

About the ConnectedLivingSpace config of MRS:

• Is the decoupler ("MRS Decoupler, 2.5m Stack, Slimline", NBdecouplerSlim2m) intended to be impassable, as it is?
  • And how about the cargo bays? ("MRS Rocket Payload Bay, 1.25m", NBcargoBay1m1; "MRS Rocket Payload Bay, 2.5m Long", NBcargoBay2m1; "MRS Rocket Payload Bay, 2.5m Short", NBcargoBay2m0)

The context for such a seemingly silly question is that I'm updating the configs that come with CLS for Papa_Joe. There is an optional "freedom" config provided in CLS, which makes some additional stock parts, such as decouplers, passable. Hence, if the MRS decoupler is intended as impassable by the MRS mod itself, then for consistency purposes, it could be a candidate for tweaking by the "freedom" config in CLS.

Nope, there's no need for them to stay impassible. I really just neglected to add them to the CLS config.

20 minutes ago, Technologicat said:

As for the discussion above, are there replacements for the fractional jumbos in FTP? I've used them quite a lot, since in my opinion they look somehow cleaner than the stock 2.5m tanks. Maybe it's the wrinkly look of the Rockomax.

If I had to pick one part in MRS I've never used, it would be the "MRS Decoupler, 3.75m to 2.5m Interstage Adapter" (NBinterstageDecoupler3m). Its combination of capabilities is pretty much unique, but I suppose I've never needed all three in the same place :)

Technically it's a combination of FTP and CCC that gives all of the available fractional tanks. FTP gives a 3/4 tank, and FTP+CCC together lets you have the FTP appearances on the 1/2 and 1/4 stock sizes.

Yeah, the interstage adapter is an odd one in that regard. At the time I was thinking along the lines of how to reduce part count, and was proud of myself for figuring out how to make a hollow model (it was pretty early on that I made that one). But since I never ended up needing it myself, and suspect few other people find it useful, I steered away from making "all in one" parts like that afterward.

3 hours ago, NecroBones said:

Nope, there's no need for them to stay impassible. I really just neglected to add them to the CLS config.

Ok!

In case you want to add them, here, to save you some typing:

// MRS Decoupler, 2.5m Stack, Slimline
@PART[NBdecouplerSlim2m]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleConnectedLivingSpace
		passable = true
	}
}

// MRS Rocket Payload Bay, 1.25m
@PART[NBcargoBay1m1]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
	MODULE
	{
		passable = true
	}
}

// MRS Rocket Payload Bay, 2.5m Long
@PART[NBcargoBay2m1]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
	MODULE
	{
		passable = true
	}
}

// MRS Rocket Payload Bay, 2.5m Short
@PART[NBcargoBay2m0]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
	MODULE
	{
		passable = true
	}
}

Technically it's a combination of FTP and CCC that gives all of the available fractional tanks. FTP gives a 3/4 tank, and FTP+CCC together lets you have the FTP appearances on the 1/2 and 1/4 stock sizes.

Ah, I see. Thanks!

Yeah, the interstage adapter is an odd one in that regard. At the time I was thinking along the lines of how to reduce part count, and was proud of myself for figuring out how to make a hollow model (it was pretty early on that I made that one). But since I never ended up needing it myself, and suspect few other people find it useful, I steered away from making "all in one" parts like that afterward.

Well, at least it's decidedly kerbal :)

By its very presence in the part list, it also challenges the player to come up with a design that uses it. The monopropellant makes this a true challenge, since usually the RCS is in the last stage or two, which typically have the same size profile. Maybe it would make sense for a Mun rocket that may first need to dock with a space station (in case no one brought a screwdriver?) before firing the transfer stage...

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, snekposter said:

Have you put any thought in doing an art pass on MRS using the stuff you've learned from making your other mods? 

Yep, that's something I'll probably work on at some point. There are several fuel tanks that I may retire altogether since they're a bit redundant with FTP & CCC. Other parts can probably be improved quite a bit.

First of all: Thank you for the great mod.

I was just wondering why the docking helpers are not surface attachable. I think they should be attachable wherever docking ports are and those are surface attachable.

For the moment, I helped myself with the following MM sniplet:

@PART[NBdockingHelper*]:Final {
	@attachRules = 1,1,1,0,0
}

Note, that I also disabled allowSrfAttach instead, because it became kind of fiddly to attach the docking ports to it without.

2 hours ago, SpaceNomad said:

First of all: Thank you for the great mod.

I was just wondering why the docking helpers are not surface attachable. I think they should be attachable wherever docking ports are and those are surface attachable.

For the moment, I helped myself with the following MM sniplet:

@PART[NBdockingHelper*]:Final {
	@attachRules = 1,1,1,0,0
}

Note, that I also disabled allowSrfAttach instead, because it became kind of fiddly to attach the docking ports to it without.

Hey, that's a pretty good idea. I have it changed on my side for the next release. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Is it just me, or is the guidance nose cone terribly powerful for a starting part? Compared to the Octo at least. The spoiler includes a little table comparing the Octo, the GNC and the Stayputnik.

Spoiler
Stats GNC Stayputnik Octo MK.I
Tech level 1 4 5
Cost 900 300 450
Mass 0.4t 0.05t 0.1t
Crash tolerance 12m/s 12m/s 12m/s
Max. temperature 2400 K 1800 K 1200 K
Charge per minute 3 1.7 1.2
Charge capacity 100 10 10
SAS Yes No Yes
Reaction wheel strength 3 N/A 0.3
Reaction wheel power usage 12 N/A 1.8

I suggest lowering the temperature resistance to 1200 Kelvin (the internal maximum of the MK.I Command Pod) and reduce both the power usage and capacity to bring them more or less in line with the stock units. Removing the SAS wouldn't be a terrible idea either.

1 hour ago, Nova Solarius said:

Is it just me, or is the guidance nose cone terribly powerful for a starting part? Compared to the Octo at least. The spoiler includes a little table comparing the Octo, the GNC and the Stayputnik.

Reveal hidden contents
Stats GNC Stayputnik Octo MK.I
Tech level 1 4 5
Cost 900 300 450
Mass 0.4t 0.05t 0.1t
Crash tolerance 12m/s 12m/s 12m/s
Max. temperature 2400 K 1800 K 1200 K
Charge per minute 3 1.7 1.2
Charge capacity 100 10 10
SAS Yes No Yes
Reaction wheel strength 3 N/A 0.3
Reaction wheel power usage 12 N/A 1.8

I suggest lowering the temperature resistance to 1200 Kelvin (the internal maximum of the MK.I Command Pod) and reduce both the power usage and capacity to bring them more or less in line with the stock units. Removing the SAS wouldn't be a terrible idea either.

It's funny how often guidance nose cone comes up. :) I've weakened it quite a lot already, so it's hard to know where the threshold is before it becomes useless, since it's really only useful in the early part of the career anyway. But for the next update, I have the temp lowered a little, SAS removed (it was down to only the most basic SAS anyway), and the reaction wheel is weakened. It's intended to have a bit more battery to help with part count at the start and also justify the mass.

45 minutes ago, Buster Charlie said:

To be honest I'd love to see a docking ports with the integrated docking helpers to replace the stock docking ports, just to reduce the part count.  Maybe just a scaled down space  y port? 

Yeah, I've been a bit undecided on what to do here. I guess one possibility is to phase them out (deprecated parts that will still work, but can no longer be selected in the menus), and replace them with conjoined parts that have it built into docking ports. I'll have to think about it a little.

28 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

It's funny how often guidance nose cone comes up. :) I've weakened it quite a lot already, so it's hard to know where the threshold is before it becomes useless, since it's really only useful in the early part of the career anyway. But for the next update, I have the temp lowered a little, SAS removed (it was down to only the most basic SAS anyway), and the reaction wheel is weakened. It's intended to have a bit more battery to help with part count at the start and also justify the mass.

Fair enough on the battery. I'm curious though, what was the first version of the cone like?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.