[1.2 - 1.4] Modular Rocket Systems v1.13.2 (2018-03-12) - Stock-alike Parts Pack

NecroBones

30 minutes ago, Nova Solarius said:

Fair enough on the battery. I'm curious though, what was the first version of the cone like?

Originally it had the higher versions of SAS, stronger reaction wheels, etc. Part of the problem is that KSP rebalanced quite a lot since I originally made it, so some of it just amounts to playing catch-up with KSP's changes. ;)

1 hour ago, quarrion said:

Hi Necrobones, would you please update link to your mods in CKAN?

PS. All your mods are awesome! - I am just too lazy to keep copypasting them ;)

Thanks, glad you like them. :) They should all be working in CKAN, as long as you're on KSP 1.0.5. After KerbalStuff got replaced by SpaceDock, I only put up the current versions of the mods, and not the older copies.

I have a small request; I think the 5-way RCS and corner RCS thrusters should be in the Lite version. (Yeah I know slippery slope, but I think those are helpful parts not quite replaced with TweakScale / Procedural Parts unlike most of the dropped parts)

Edited by Spheniscine

1 hour ago, Spheniscine said:

I have a small request; I think the 5-way RCS and corner RCS thrusters should be in the Lite version. (Yeah I know slippery slope, but I think those are helpful parts not quite replaced with TweakScale / Procedural Parts unlike most of the dropped parts)

Yep, I could probably do that. I'm also tempted to redo the artwork for them to make them look more like the stock RCS, so they can all be used together and match nicely.

4 hours ago, NecroBones said:

Yep, I could probably do that. I'm also tempted to redo the artwork for them to make them look more like the stock RCS, so they can all be used together and match nicely.

And here we are:

KSP%202016-03-16%2022-20-56-01.jpg

1 hour ago, NecroBones said:

And here we are:

- snip -

What??... A stock lander can with some stock RCS thrusters on it.... I dont get it?

LOL... ;)  I'd say those are definately about as stockalike as one can get...:thumbsup:

Edited by Stone Blue

11 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

LOL... ;)  I'd say those are definately about as stockalike as one can get...:thumbsup:

Yup. :)

I may move the corner-thrusters inward a little to make it slightly more visually distinct, but I think those are looking pretty good otherwise.

Not that I'm pointing out anything but great minds thinking alike, RLA put an arrow on the 45 deg blocks to give a hint to which way is (locally) up. 

Looking good though, as usual!

Posted:

1.12 (2016-03-17) - Minor Update.
 - Added ConnectedLivingSpace configs for slimline 2.5m docking port, and cargo bays.
 - Changed attachment rules for docking helpers, to allow surface-attaching them (and in turn turned off accepting surface attachment).
 - Reduced Guidance Nose-Cone's capabilities some more. Removed remaining SAS, weakened reaction wheel, lowered max temp.
 - Redesigned RCS blocks to look more stock-alike, and tweaked their price and mass.
 - Added RCS blocks to the "Lite" pack.

14 minutes ago, smjjames said:

How come the guidance nosecone doesn't have autopilot capabilities anymore? It did in the previous version.

I ended up taking it off since people complained it was kinda powerful for a tier-0 tech node. Dunno. Maybe I can put it back, but just at the lowest level of capability? It's all a difficult balancing act. :)

Just now, NecroBones said:

I ended up taking it off since people complained it was kinda powerful for a tier-0 tech node. Dunno. Maybe I can put it back, but just at the lowest level of capability? It's all a difficult balancing act. :)

Well, having the stability assist at minimum would be good.

3 hours ago, smjjames said:

Did anybody else have the KSP-AVC download link for MRS-full go to the page for MRS-lite?

Found the problem. The links were reversed in the server-side copies of the AVC version files.

29 minutes ago, smjjames said:

Well, having the stability assist at minimum would be good.

Fixed:

1.12.1 (2016-03-17) - Nose cone hotfix.
 - Re-added basic stability control to the Guidance Nose Cone.
 - Moved Guidance Nose Cone to "Engineering 101" tech node, so that it at least has to be unlocked before use.

Hey - thanks for all the good work on the mod and also for the most recent update!

I have an issue to report though. Ever since the latest update, the 5 way thrusters I have on pre-existing ships all got rotated 90 degrees to the right (or left or something). This is the case for launched ships and also for saved craft files. So instead of the bottom of the thruster block being fixed to the ship, they are 90 degrees rotated and fixed by one side (nozzle). So that means pretty much my entire space program now has screwed up thrusters and any ability to use RCS has more or less gone to hell. I know you've done some work on the thrusters - could it be that this is an issue originating from the update? Would you have any idea how I could fix it?

Full disclosure: I use the KSP 64 bit hack. So if you can't reproduce this on 32 bit it well could be that's the source of the issue. Don't think so though since the issue coincided with your last update and it has happened on ALL ships that use the 5 way thrusters. But felt I had to mention anyway :)

Edited by liTWave

Yeah, I'm a little undecided on what to do there.  I didn't think of it until after I released. I can rotate them back, but any new craft in the last few days will have the same problem. It might be best to just do that. Let me see about a hotfix. But like I said-- new craft will have to be corrected if I do that. Since it's only been a few days, it's probably best to go back to the old rotation.

Just now, liTWave said:

I would think so. I think it's very safe to say that many more old craft are affected than new craft.

That's my thinking as well. I should be able to put out a fix shortly. I just need to flip things around on my side and repackage it all.

Wonderful!! Many thanks. After a couple of days of mad rotations, collisions and docking nightmares, my space program is truly rejoicing! Hahaha. Really appreciate the quick fix, bud! That's mucho cool of ya.

Btw, if you're looking for ideas for new parts, I could perhaps suggest a couple. One would be an extendible centrifugal hab module for interplanetary ships. Think there's decent community demand for that because one they look cool, two the Martian, three realism for interplanetary voyages, four all those of us with USI-LS need serious hab space for long voyages or Kerbals go on strike :PThere's been a couple of implementations, but I don't think anyone's made a great one yet. There's one in the DarkSide Technologies mod, but the animation implementation is wonky (it extends/collapses, but you can't get it to stop rotating once you start it). Then there's one in the Hermes pack, but it doesn't look great and needs to be built out in orbit. And then there's the inflatable one in MKS/OKS, but it's kinda ugly plus that's one helluva big mod to install for one part. Think it makes more sense for something like that to be included in a niche parts mod, so would think it might be up your street.

Another idea could be extendible in-line solar panels. Don't know why pretty much nobody has done that. Except DarkSide Technologies, as far as I know, but the implementation there is again wonky as for some reason the module rotates on itself so the panels are always pointing in a different direction relative to the ship :/

A third idea would be lift cargo bays, as in a cargo bay where the whole side (for planes/VTOL landers) or floor (where the bay is at the bottom of a lander) extends downwards to bring a rover to the ground. OR alternatively a normal service bay with a ramp that extends outwards and downwards on deployment. OR again a service bay with sides that fold down completely to create a rover lander. All stuff that seems kinda neglected by the modding community right now.

Oh and one more: a separatron-style mini-rocket intended specifically to help de-orbit spent stages. So radially mounted and with integrated fuel, but using an included liquid fuel/oxidiser mix rather than solid fuel, so that it's throttle-able (could be less weight efficient to compensate). Or you could go all out and make a full one part mini-deorbiting system, so a rocket as described with an included mini probe core, light radial reaction wheels and a locked battery / capacitor that will release a preset amount of electric charge on a one off basis for the pre-entry rotation. I guess it could also be done in-line so as to have a module with little extendible mini engines, along the lines of the model RoverDude put together as the one-part skycrane with integrated reaction wheels in MKS/OKS  and MKS Lite - this would just have less thrust but integrated fuel, capacitor and a basic probe core.

Anyway, just throwing some ideas out there :) Thanks again for the fix!

Edited by liTWave

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.