[1.2 - 1.4] Modular Rocket Systems v1.13.2 (2018-03-12) - Stock-alike Parts Pack

NecroBones

I love this pack. It compliments RLA Stockalike nicely.

I'm admittedly not as fond of the alternate RCS thrusters but that's mainly because the nozzles are really shiny and long and don't mix well aesthetically with the stock RCS nozzles.

But the rest of the parts--especially the adaptors--have already been heavily used in my recent craft. The fuel contained in the adaptors come in very handy!

So - if you could make a 2-piece model of the cone? So chop of the dark area on the top and make both separate pieces? Then I could trick in some other parachute model from stock or another mod to see how that looks.

Hm... what about having a docking connector covered by the heat shield which could be retracted in 4 slices... Oh man - I need to get to grips with this Blender stuff. I'm good in software development involving graphics, but not in using them myself...

Yeah, it;s certainly possible to make a truncated version of the cone or something. Blender has been an interesting learning experience, I have to admit. I've figured out just enough to do the things I want to do, but I know it's just the tip of the iceberg. Thankfully, what I'm doing so far isn't rocket science (oh, yes it is! har, har!). :)

The basic jet is ADORABLE :^3

lol, yes. :)

I love this pack. It compliments RLA Stockalike nicely.

I'm admittedly not as fond of the alternate RCS thrusters but that's mainly because the nozzles are really shiny and long and don't mix well aesthetically with the stock RCS nozzles.

But the rest of the parts--especially the adaptors--have already been heavily used in my recent craft. The fuel contained in the adaptors come in very handy!

I'm not sure I'm 100% satisfied with the RCS blocks either, but I like the shiny cones personally. :) The good news is that I can always circle back and do beauty passes later. Glad you're finding the adapters helpful!

My ocd side (the larger portion of me) is bugging me to not get it because of the different art style not identical to stock, but it is also bugging me to get it to fill in missing parts.

Heh, yeah I understand. :) Sometimes I have a hard time with other packs too, due to varying art styles. I tried to keep these fairly stock-like, but with a unique style as well.

Since I've been working on the fairings and burgers (heh) this week, I don't have a lot new to report for MRS right now.

The next update is tweaking the radial mini-tank a little to make it sit in a little closer to the vehicle, and shrunk the bracket rims a little, to make them play nicer with the fairings. It shouldn't cause problems for existing builds, I don't think, but there's always a small risk here. So just a head's up.

I'll probably aim to get the next update out shortly after 0.25 hits (which I'm guessing is early next week), since I'll probably have to tweak a lot of the parts to maintain balance with the updated stock parts, and also adjust the research costs, since that will be important now.

If there are any last minute (relatively easy) ideas you have for things to add by then, let me know.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks awesome. Anything that can keep me from using just 1 or 2 parts from other packages while enhancing the stock appearance is great! (I'm an SAS snob, it's the first think I look for in any parts pack!)

Thanks! Glad you're liking it! :)

I like your ModRocketSys engine set very much, and have installed it and will be using it for videos. One question : any plans to create a .cfg file for integration with Engine Ignitor?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/51880-0-24-2-Engine-Ignitor-%28Workaround-for-some-bugs-V3-4-Aug-31%29

The KW Rockets pack has a .cfg file for integration with Engine Ignitor - and it adds a degree of difficulty and flavor for for modded installs which I would most like to see for your pack also. I may take the step of creating a .cfg file for use with this specifically for your engine pack - if so would you be interested? It doesn't seem that difficult to do and I can just use the paradigm as I understand it (heavier engines have fewer ignites and higher stability conditions, lower power and lower mass engines less so - some purely electric).

Howdy, I just thought Id take a moment to say thank you for your very useful MRS parts.

If you would consider tga images for a future release that would be helpful as I have an older pc and need to resize the images. The parts are so good that I dont mind converting and resizing but it would make it easier.

Anyway, I apreaciate you sharing your parts and I am getting alot of enjoyment from using them. Thank you very much for all of the neat stuff.

I like your ModRocketSys engine set very much, and have installed it and will be using it for videos. One question : any plans to create a .cfg file for integration with Engine Ignitor?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/51880-0-24-2-Engine-Ignitor-%28Workaround-for-some-bugs-V3-4-Aug-31%29

The KW Rockets pack has a .cfg file for integration with Engine Ignitor - and it adds a degree of difficulty and flavor for for modded installs which I would most like to see for your pack also. I may take the step of creating a .cfg file for use with this specifically for your engine pack - if so would you be interested? It doesn't seem that difficult to do and I can just use the paradigm as I understand it (heavier engines have fewer ignites and higher stability conditions, lower power and lower mass engines less so - some purely electric).

Hey great. Yeah, I definitely want to make this pack cooperate with as many other mods as possible (as long as it doesn't break things for people who don't use those mods). If you get it together, I'll definitely want to take a look. I haven't looked at how the configs for Engine Ignitor work yet. But that's a great idea!

Howdy, I just thought Id take a moment to say thank you for your very useful MRS parts.

If you would consider tga images for a future release that would be helpful as I have an older pc and need to resize the images. The parts are so good that I dont mind converting and resizing but it would make it easier.

Anyway, I apreaciate you sharing your parts and I am getting alot of enjoyment from using them. Thank you very much for all of the neat stuff.

Glad you like the parts! :) I'd say TGA is a "maybe". It looks like mbm is really just the default, and people warn against using PNG due to a Unity bug, but I haven't heard anything bad about TGA so far. The good news is that there's a texture reducer mod that will do most of that down-scaling for you.

Hey great. Yeah, I definitely want to make this pack cooperate with as many other mods as possible (as long as it doesn't break things for people who don't use those mods). If you get it together, I'll definitely want to take a look. I haven't looked at how the configs for Engine Ignitor work yet. But that's a great idea!

OK, I went ahead and looked over the Engine Ignitor MM config for the stock engines, and I think I have some sensible numbers to use in my engines. It looks like they don't have ignition limits on the O-10 monopropellant engine, so I didn't add anything to the MP engine in my set. However, the other two engines can be compared to their stock counterparts. It looks like the LVN/NERVA had depreciation rather than hypergolic supply, so I replicated that. The LFO engine, I gave it settings between the LV-909 and 48-7S settings:

Quad-nuke:

MODULE
{
name = ModuleEngineIgnitor
ignitionsAvailable = 32
autoIgnitionTemperature = 500
ignitorType = Nuclear
// 32 Ignitions due to depreciation
}

0.625m LFO engine:

RESOURCE
{
name = HypergolicFluid
amount = 3
maxAmount = 3
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleEngineIgnitor
ignitionsAvailable = 100
autoIgnitionTemperature = 800
ignitorType = Internal_Small
IGNITOR_RESOURCE
{
name = HypergolicFluid
amount = 0.125
// 24 Ignitions (Using HypergolicFluid)
}
}

Thought I'd share one of the ships I've made so far in the building-out of SpacePad 4A:

QkzvK+

I'm using your 3.75m fuel tank/adapter as the base for a service module for building out the space station. It's delivering two communication modules, attached back-to-back, which will be separated by a robotic tug for final positioning. And I like the look of your pylons as antenna masts.

Those probably would have benefited a bit from fairings, but whatever. :P

Thought I'd share one of the ships I've made so far in the building-out of SpacePad 4A:

http://img42.com/QkzvK+

I'm using your 3.75m fuel tank/adapter as the base for a service module for building out the space station. It's delivering two communication modules, attached back-to-back, which will be separated by a robotic tug for final positioning. And I like the look of your pylons as antenna masts.

Those probably would have benefited a bit from fairings, but whatever. :P

Great! That's looking pretty awesome. Sorry for the late reply-- apparently notifications got turned off for my thread subscription. Doh.

And for this week's general update-- I have a few tweaks waiting for a new release of the pack, but I've been waiting for 0.25 to appear, just in case I need to tweak anything to preserve balance with the update.

Glad you like the parts! :) I'd say TGA is a "maybe". It looks like mbm is really just the default, and people warn against using PNG due to a Unity bug, but I haven't heard anything bad about TGA so far. The good news is that there's a texture reducer mod that will do most of that down-scaling for you.

Stay away from TGA for now. The game's TGA loader is bugged out, so TGAs take up twice as much RAM when loaded as any other format. PNG seems to be fine (though I'm not sure), and they take up less space on disk than MBM.

Stay away from TGA for now. The game's TGA loader is bugged out, so TGAs take up twice as much RAM when loaded as any other format. PNG seems to be fine (though I'm not sure), and they take up less space on disk than MBM.

OK, that's good to know. I've heard that PNGs are bugged in that they take a lot longer to load than they should. Between these two, that's a pretty good case for sticking to MBM.

Version 0.7 released:

0.7 (2014-10-07) - Beta Release
- Slimmed the radial mini-tank (particularly the framework) just a hair, to help with fitting inside fairings.
- Added support for the "Engine Ignitor" mod. Settings added to small LFO engine, and quad-nuke.
- Added shading to the 1.25m Xenon sphere tank.
- Tweaked Size-0 SAS module to bring it in line with 0.25
- Moved Xenon-tanks to Propulsion tab, to match 0.25
- Reduced mass of 1.25m (size-1) nose cones to match 0.25
- Reduced mass of 0.625m (size-0) nose cone to match the size-1 cones (beating out 0.25)

• 3 weeks later...

Completed my new LAS (Launch Abort System), meant to be an alternate to the stock LES. The stock one is modeled to look like the Apollo-era LES, so I made mine reminiscent of the Orion LAS that's in development, complete with optional shroud that fits over the 3-man pod with a docking port and radial parachutes and the like. I showed in-progress images earlier, but the rocket tower is done now. It has about 20% more kick than the stock LES.

This is just another addition in the vein of "alternate options vs stock", rather than filling a gap.

It'll be in the next MRS release.

KSP%202014-10-23%2020-05-56-88.jpg

KSP%202014-10-23%2020-05-47-64.jpg

KSP%202014-10-23%2021-01-35-90.jpg

KSP%202014-10-23%2021-01-46-24.jpg

KSP%202014-10-23%2021-01-56-69.jpg

Can't wait.

My 'must have part mod' set has collapsed down to MRS stockalike and RLA stockalike. Between these two I find all the gaps in the stock part inventory are nicely filled, and both blend marvelously with existing art.

Keep up the good work!

Can't wait.

My 'must have part mod' set has collapsed down to MRS stockalike and RLA stockalike. Between these two I find all the gaps in the stock part inventory are nicely filled, and both blend marvelously with existing art.

Keep up the good work!

Glad you're enjoying it! Yeah, I took a look at RLA Stockalike a few times, and made an effort to not overly duplicate what it provides. I figured the two could complement each other nicely.

So... this 5 metre part concept was going around for awhile, but no one seems to have taken it up. If anyone, you, NecroBones, or Hoojiwana would be perfect to make these!

Anyway, stockalike 5 metre parts are a must, especially in this 0.25.5-esque style!

Huh, that's not a bad idea. I could see making a pack that's strictly a "5m parts" pack. I'll keep that in mind. ;)

As an update, I think a 2.5m cargo bay with animated doors would probably be useful:

KSP%202014-10-26%2021-32-38-61.jpg

KSP%202014-10-26%2021-32-44-74.jpg

KSP%202014-10-26%2021-33-04-00.jpg

KSP%202014-10-26%2021-33-24-80.jpg

KSP%202014-10-26%2021-34-03-34.jpg

I'll be getting the new version out soon. The last part I'm putting together for the new version is a 3.75m quad-engine. Its stats are very close to the NASA-SLS style one from the ARM pack. This one is in the category of "alternate appearance for a previous stock option". The existing quad-engine has always bothered me, in that its engine bells look tiny compared to the thrust it generates (each nozzle is equivalent to a skipper), and also the bi-radial symmetry doesn't do it for me. So I wanted something functionally similar, but with a much beefier set of engine bells. Plus, from a realism standpint, atmospheric rockets benefit from longer bells, whereas vacuum rockets benefit from wider ones, so having some length makes sense for lower-stage lifter rockets.

To differentiate it a little, I gave it a tiny bit more thrust, but with the caveat of costing slightly more, and also having a slightly lower vacuum ISP. Basically what that means, is that it gives you just a hair more thrust "out of the gate" for your heavy lifters (3330 vs 3200), but the efficiency improvement with altitude is a little slower.

KSP%202014-10-29%2023-28-20-82.jpg

KSP%202014-10-29%2023-28-46-33.jpg

KSP%202014-10-29%2023-30-22-59.jpg

KSP%202014-10-29%2023-31-29-64.jpg

KSP%202014-10-29%2023-29-02-54.jpg

OK, the new release is out. I decided to go ahead and make this version 1.0, since things have been pretty stable for a while. Enjoy!

1.0 (2014-10-30) - Full release!?
- No complaints or bug reports for quite a while. Let's call it 1.0.
- Added LAS (Launch Abort System) consisting of LAS tower, and pod-shroud.
- Added two lengths of 2.5m rocket cargo bays.
- Added 3.75m quad-engine

I'm really looking forward to trying out 1.0!

Where are the attachment nodes for the cargo bays, BTW? Can you attach cargo to the bottom or only to the top?

I made them work like the stock-SP+ bays, with internal nodes at both ends, and open-ends so they can be strung together to make larger bays. I think they'll prove to be pretty useful! :)

BTW, I made a lot of tweaks since the last screenshots. Example:

KSP%202014-10-27%2019-54-23-18.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.