[0.16 ish] The Truss Pack - Rugged parts for any eventuality! *2.0 NEARING RELEASE!*

Sherbetlemons

Drop tanks= Bombs to be dropped on targets I set up at the KSP! Yay!

I\'m finding I like to use your parts more and more for the 'Utility' bases I drop all over the surface of Kerbin.... Great practice in preparation for attempting to land them on the Mun. Your parts simply look badass...

So, aside from radial decouplers, whats going to be in Truss 2.0?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I haven\'t updated in a while, been a bit busy with college. Anyway, I\'ve pretty much decided on 4 sided truss beams instead of 6. They are easier to work with in a number of ways. I find it easier to avoid geometry colliding all over the place, with sticking out bits. Lining up angles and so forth is easier. UV maps are simpler. Basically, it makes it easier for me to model, and it makes a bit more sense too; the current beams look awkwardly in the middle between cylinders and square sectioned beams, and I felt cylinders with more sides ( say, 12) wouldn\'t be much easier and would only add polys and complicate UV maps. With smoothing, they might look good, but... That can be Truss 3.0 ;)

So, I\'ll do all the parts I\'ve done so far with the new beams, and with more complexity in other areas. And I\'ll leave the old release, plus some parts done since then (solar shield, etc) up for the foreseeable future.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I\'ve got exams coming up pretty soon, and after that, a holiday. So any new stuff over the next few weeks is going to be concepts, drawings etc. I\'ll try and render a few, and put them up, so I have proof I\'m doing SOMETHING.

I know I\'ve said a lot of things, and then not done them, so sorry about that. I just don\'t have much time on my hands. But in a few weeks I\'ll have a lot of stuff out of the way, and the workload will only dwindle until the summer. So that means more time for modding :D

Until then, I\'ll avoid any specific promises :P

I maintain the position that this pack won\'t come into it\'s own until docking, but after my initial \'oh nooeesss\' on hearing it was pushed back, I realised this buys me a lot more time to produce something meaningful in time for docking.

So, I\'m going to redesign the basis of the trusses, with square section beams. But my plan is to have the same vague shape, with 4 way symmetry, simply because it\'s more versatile. That doesn\'t rule out a 3 way part though...

ALSO, Yorik suggested seeing if anyone could help with anything. So, if there\'s anyone who knows how to do \'proper\' textures, and possibly also UV mapping, well, I\'d love to collaborate, if you\'re prepared to work with someone as disorgansied as me :L

I would love to have radial struts to slap things on, as well as something like VTOL (maybe a modded rcs that consumes liquid fuel, or just sideways engines?), some more custom engines and the like.

Love the pack so far! Keep up the great work!

• 3 weeks later...

I know I\'ve said a lot of things, and then not done them, so sorry about that. I just don\'t have much time on my hands. But in a few weeks I\'ll have a lot of stuff out of the way, and the workload will only dwindle until the summer. So that means more time for modding :D

Good luck on the exams, they\'re more important than games! right?

I\'m still using your pack man :) It just looks really nice and is really usable.

• 4 weeks later...

The author is up to his eyes in exams I think. Give it time.

I\'m putting the finishing touches to a mobile Mun base using largely parts from this pack. It looks the part. It just needs more decoration with solar panels and radio dishes.

This is an old screenshot, the base now has 6 Katerpillar wheels on hardpoints around the base, and 6 small lander engines from this pack on radial attachments. It can take a landing of at least 20m/s without damage!

screenshot73.jpg

A lot of these parts have loads of fuel - I think my base had 3150kg of fuel last time I checked!

Loving this pack, I like how lots of the parts have fuel but the capacity:mass ratio is kept the same as stock. I recently culled my mods folder (I\'d had enough of uncontrollable slideshow-style launches) and this mod gives a nice amount of flexibility in design with stock parts so it stays!

I do have one suggestion though - make it so you can surface attach the fuel tanks like you can with normal tanks, these parts look much more up to the job than the stock ones!

• 2 weeks later...

:( :( :( :(

Still no new data about truss 2.0. Me sad. These parts look great parked on Minimus or the Mun. Just wish there were more of them. I personally wouldn\'t mind having things like Cryogenics pod or Hydroponics so we can make massive (semi) mobile space stations in orbit that look, well, futuristic.

I avoid the Kosmos pack precisely because it\'s so huge. This one, apart from a few missing bits, is more tightly focused. I\'m particularly keen on stuff that Mun bases can be made out of - there\'s a surface attach node in the BACE pack and The Node which work really well with this kit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.