[0.24.2] Classic Pack for KSP Interstellar Lite

undercoveryankee

The available versions of KSP Interstellar right now present a tough choice for some people. Even after WaveFunctionP recompiled 0.11 to be compatible with KSP 0.24.2, 0.11 still has pre-0.24 part costs and an OpenResourceSystem version that doesn't coexist with the one that Karbonite requires.

The KSPI Lite 0.12 series is the most actively maintained and up-to-date, but some fans have expressed a desire to combine the new ORS, Community Resource Pack integration, and TweakScale support with the performance numbers that they knew from 0.11.

I've tried my hand at putting a coherent pack together. It combines ModuleManager patches to the reactors in KSPI Lite with some additional parts using unused models from 0.11. This release modifies reactors and radiators; I may adjust other parts of the pack in future releases based on fan feedback.

Download:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4zq45gzn0bjqu2d/KSPIClassic-PRE20140906.zip?dl=0

Released under the KSP Interstellar license, included in the package or online at https://raw.githubusercontent.com/WaveFunctionP/KSPInterstellar/v0.12.2/GameData/Interstellar/License.txt

Update:

With the news that Fractal_UK is working on an update, his release will likely obsolete this pack. I will update if necessary to maintain compatibility with any future versions of KSPI Lite, and I'm still open to any suggestions for changes or additional configs that can be added to the pack while the next original KSPI is in development.

Edited by undercoveryankee

I think this is broken with the latest KSPI Lite update. The reactors you readded are giving trouble in the VAB (image blows up).

You know, I'm starting to be thankful that Squad hasn't fixed that bug. It's a quick and obvious way to see when a PartModule that's supposed to be loading isn't.

It may be a few days before I get a chance to test with KSPI Lite 0.12.3. If you can give me a list of exactly which reactors glitch and any that don't, and a log so I can see what plugins are loading and what's failing, it'll save time troubleshooting.

That might be the expanding parts bug that has remained unfixed through several official updates of KSP. This is supposed to fix it - http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/63109-0-23-Modulefixer
The expanding parts bug usually has to due with duplicate plugins. Module Fixer fixes the symptom, but not the cause.

The glitch happens when a part has three or more resources but no PartModules. ModuleFixer prevents it by adding a no-op module to any parts that don't have one. For KSPI parts that have modules defined in their .cfg files, you won't see the zooming-model glitch unless a module has failed to load. ModuleFixer's no-op module hides the visual glitch, but it doesn't give you the functionality of the code that didn't load, and that missing functionality will bite you sooner or later.

Using ModuleFixer with Interstellar parts just makes the underlying problem harder to find when you run into the next symptom. Please don't.

First off just want to say thanks for making this mod of a mod! :D

As for sugestions, i noticed that the generators do not scale relative to their same size reactors (at least for the antimatter initiated fusion reactor, i havent checked with the others) once you get to fusion. this kindof ruins the purpose of this mod i think, as you cannot take advantage of the increased energy from the tweaked reactors.

edit: after further investigation i have discovered that the %carnot eff was the cause of this. The problem may still exist for higher tier reactors, but i wont know till i get that far in the tech tree.

Edited by legopatch

I also wanted to say that I am glad to see this kind of modification. I will be adding more support in the future as I run through more modules and expose more functionality to the part files. I know it is not great right now for fans of the original kspi, but it will get better. I promise. If I do my job right, there will be as many versions of kspil configs as there ksp universe mods.

I've been messing around with the code trying to get the upgrading to work again but I am having a problem. Every module that has tweakscale on it somehow keeps getting its power/temp/etc set back to the unupgraded values even though it has been upgraded (and thinks it is upgraded in the module). Interstellar overwrites the base values with the upgraded ones, does tweakscale get in there after that happens and write in the tweaked values over the upgraded ones?

I've been messing around with the code trying to get the upgrading to work again but I am having a problem. Every module that has tweakscale on it somehow keeps getting its power/temp/etc set back to the unupgraded values even though it has been upgraded (and thinks it is upgraded in the module). Interstellar overwrites the base values with the upgraded ones, does tweakscale get in there after that happens and write in the tweaked values over the upgraded ones?

I personally prefer to provide separate parts for the original and upgraded technologies. Keeping lower-tech hardware available in case it's cheaper or has some other desirable quirk seems more useful to me than being able to retrofit a reactor to a completely different design in flight.

Not having used or tested the interaction between upgrades and TweakScale, I can't really say why it's acting up or how to get them to work together.

I personally prefer to provide separate parts for the original and upgraded technologies. Keeping lower-tech hardware available in case it's cheaper or has some other desirable quirk seems more useful to me than being able to retrofit a reactor to a completely different design in flight.

Personally I'd agree. In particular, I find the longer lifespan of the molten salt reactors can be more useful than the higher output of gas core in many situations, and not being able to build new ones was annoying.

I like being able to have the base model available instead of the upgraded one as well.

It's tweakable.

The problem was being caused by tweakscale, I got around it by changing variable assignments.

If this issue is affecting anyone else, I need to know the details of any changes I need to make for the next release. Do you mind sharing what version of TweakScale you have installed, what version of KSPI Lite you have installed, and a full list of the changes that worked for you?

Edit: I lost track of who had reported which issue and responded thinking you were the one with the zooming-icons issue. I'd still like to hear about what configuration you were doing and what you had to do to get it to work, in case I decide to modify a part while leaving it upgradable in the future.

Edited by undercoveryankee

I downloaded 0.12.2 of KSPIL and have been reverting some of the changes WaveFunctionP made in the plugin (thanks for just commenting out and not deleting BTW), it was easier than trying to get KSPI 0.11 working.

I just made it store the thermal power and rector temp in different variables.

Example:

//These come from the config file

basePower = 1 //All reactor calculations are done using this variable

upgradePower = 5

//If you have the appropriate tech unlocked it sets

basePower = upgradePower

//But then TweakScale comes in and sets

basePower = 1

So any upgrade gets immediately overridden, I'm just learning c# but I think it was just sloppy variable use. I just changed all the action bits to use a new variable currentPower that is set from basePower or upgradePower depending on the upgrade state.

I downloaded 0.12.2 of KSPIL and have been reverting some of the changes WaveFunctionP made in the plugin (thanks for just commenting out and not deleting BTW), it was easier than trying to get KSPI 0.11 working.

I just made it store the thermal power and rector temp in different variables.

Example:

//These come from the config file

basePower = 1 //All reactor calculations are done using this variable

upgradePower = 5

//If you have the appropriate tech unlocked it sets

basePower = upgradePower

//But then TweakScale comes in and sets

basePower = 1

So any upgrade gets immediately overridden, I'm just learning c# but I think it was just sloppy variable use. I just changed all the action bits to use a new variable currentPower that is set from basePower or upgradePower depending on the upgrade state.

Good to know. I'll keep that in mind if I ever test having an upgradeable part in the pack, and if I'm ever working on a plugin.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.