[1.12.x] Transfer Window Planner v1.8.0.0 (April 11)

TriggerAu

On 9/8/2019 at 3:15 AM, gsantos9489 said:

@TriggerAu

Please tell me this terrific mod works alongside with Principia ... :wink:

I think Id have to do a lot of playing with principia to do that :P . Almost all the flight tools with KSP rely on the pched conics model thats used in most teaching, so from a pointA->pointB model I think it should be relatively close, but if principia is taking control of the CBs and their orbits as well ten it depends on if its updating the conics of the bodies and how far into the future your plotting - ie the further away in time s the further the conics and n-body models will diverge. Im pretty sure I recall from a while ago that taking teh actual Kerbin solar system orbits and switching directly to n-body physics means things can come apart fairly quickly depening on the accuracy and calculations.

7 minutes ago, TriggerAu said:

I think Id have to do a lot of playing with principia to do that :P . Almost all the flight tools with KSP rely on the pched conics model thats used in most teaching, so from a pointA->pointB model I think it should be relatively close, but if principia is taking control of the CBs and their orbits as well ten it depends on if its updating the conics of the bodies and how far into the future your plotting - ie the further away in time s the further the conics and n-body models will diverge. Im pretty sure I recall from a while ago that taking teh actual Kerbin solar system orbits and switching directly to n-body physics means things can come apart fairly quickly depening on the accuracy and calculations.

Well, near future (3 years) is working pretty well in my installation... Great mod btw...

I can imagine how hard is to do a mod like this to work in real time with Principia, so lets leave things as they are for now :P

One more thing, do you have plans to update Alternate Resource Panel for work with 1.7 (or 1.8) in the future?

Have a great week !

On 9/14/2019 at 8:14 AM, LockManipulator said:

Awesome mod! I was wondering how you figure out where each planet is? I want to do the calculations by hand but have no idea how to get the current planets' positions.

From the Mod code we read the values directly from each CelestialBody. If you wanna do em by hand then the wiki has all the details youd need to of the CB orbits in the orbital characteristics frame on the right, for example https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Kerbin . the mean anomoly at UT 0 is listed there o you can see where on the orbit each planet starts at the "0" point

On 9/21/2019 at 11:45 AM, TriggerAu said:

From the Mod code we read the values directly from each CelestialBody. If you wanna do em by hand then the wiki has all the details youd need to of the CB orbits in the orbital characteristics frame on the right, for example https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Kerbin . the mean anomoly at UT 0 is listed there o you can see where on the orbit each planet starts at the "0" point

I'd love to learn how to do this, if only in order to get the required math skills back in shape. This is one of my favourite things about KSP of course.

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 6:14 PM, LockManipulator said:

Awesome mod! I was wondering how you figure out where each planet is? I want to do the calculations by hand but have no idea how to get the current planets' positions.

1 hour ago, Khesperus said:

I'd love to learn how to do this, if only in order to get the required math skills back in shape. This is one of my favourite things about KSP of course.

The following page explains most of the math.  Specific to your questions, look at the section Position in an Elliptical Orbit.

http://www.braeunig.us/space/orbmech.htm

Edited by OhioBob

On 9/27/2019 at 6:01 AM, Khesperus said:

I nerd out a bit each time I go back to it for modding or stock. :) . That braeunig site is a really good place for sure and theres a few others. I also have two books I use when I need to get my "head outta the screen" sometimes:  "orbital mechanics for engineering students" and "Fundmentals of Astrodynamics" . Ive  found them quite useful the first one has a good section on the eject/insert math

16 hours ago, TriggerAu said:

I nerd out a bit each time I go back to it for modding or stock. :) . That braeunig site is a really good place for sure and theres a few others. I also have two books I use when I need to get my "head outta the screen" sometimes:  "orbital mechanics for engineering students" and "Fundmentals of Astrodynamics" . Ive  found them quite useful the first one has a good section on the eject/insert math

Thank you ! I'll look them up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.