[1.12.x] Transfer Window Planner v1.8.0.0 (April 11)

TriggerAu

One thing I do find is that TWP always gives me a fairly optimistic delta-v requirement, versus MechJeb which I end up using to plot the actual out-of-Kerbin burn. Where TWP might suggest a 1000 burn and 800 insert, MJ will promptly require 1200 and 1000, sometimes far worse, but I don't know which of the two porkchops to fault, if either. Not sure I understand enough about what TWP is trying to tell me to optimise my departure... maybe what I'm seeing is my failure to match TWP's suggested inclinations before burning?

Don't suppose there's any progress on the idea of getting TWP to set a manoeuvre node for the current ship? If TWP's numbers are more accurate, I'd love to be able to use them and save some of that precious fuel :cool:

I think it's likely that you're not looking at all delta-v requirements and that you're not really going to see any savings even if TWP could actually plot that node for you.

I think the variation here is that TWP uses the logic/code from the launch window planner in which the vessels orbit is assumed to be exactly circular, so its the best case scenario.

Am currently working on RSS integration stuff so the dates/times can become actual ones in this and KAC. after that is the man node work - which should then show more realistic dv figures... but wont help when you are building the ship. That of course is in the gaps in testing :P

Hmm, I'm usually pretty circular, maybe 5-10% between my periapsis and apoapsis, and frequently a little higher. Maybe I'm just being a dumbass and choosing the wrong part of the porkchop in MechJeb when the day of departure comes. With my recent Eve launches, I noticed there were two options; one for a ~90 day transit, and one for nearly double that, both with about the same launch delta-v as reported by MJ - but MJ doesn't tell you the arrival. Maybe I just missed TWP telling me that it's the longer transit that would have been more efficient at the destination.

And I guess if if my ship has looped around the sun for longer, the difference in trajectory and speed is probably smaller than for a shorter trip, and thus will need less delta-v to achieve capture. My maths isn't good enough to tell me for sure, but my guess is that you want to arrive on the opposite side of the sun to where you started for the easiest possible capture (basically a classic Hohmann transfer, arriving at your solar apo/periapsis, rather than mid way along the elipse).

Either way, TWP and KAC is still a great mod combo for those of us who like to keep stuff happening on short time scales - I just overspec my ships and go with the windows as they come up. Lol, been 6 real-time days since I launched a fleet for Eve, and only the fast-track comms relay has arrived so far! Meanwhile KAC is tracking expeditions to Minmus and Mun, and when it'll be time to bring back my Duna return probe. I have 51 flights active, and about 7-8 of them need attention at some point. Who needs time warp past 1000x when you can parallelise? :D

I think it's likely that you're not looking at all delta-v requirements and that you're not really going to see any savings even if TWP could actually plot that node for you.

I'm seeing both the ejection and insertion delta-v in TWP, which I think is the total? However MJ doesn't tell me the latter as far as I can tell, so it's possible that (as said above) I've been choosing the wrong transit time for an efficient arrival. Lol, I probably need to use aerobraking more, too :)

I'm seeing both the ejection and insertion delta-v in TWP, which I think is the total? However MJ doesn't tell me the latter as far as I can tell, so it's possible that (as said above) I've been choosing the wrong transit time for an efficient arrival. Lol, I probably need to use aerobraking more, too :)

You said it yourself: inclination.

If you aren't launching into the target's plane, MJ will compensate as best as it can and there's extra deltav cost involved in that.

• 2 weeks later...

I know the math is probably pretty complicated to implement for this, but is there a chance this mod will ever include the option to use the orbit of the current vessel to calculate the transfer windows? I've got a couple ships orbiting Kerbol that I'd love to have nice efficient transfer windows for, and the web app doesn't seem to work quite right with adding new bodies.

• 2 weeks later...
It runs, but I havent recompiled yet. Hopefully get time for this one tonight. Apologies, but my RL work is hectic

Just because I'm curious, what is your RL Job? Freaking awesome programmer?

The Frameworks you provide are wow.

Just because I'm curious, what is your RL Job? Freaking awesome programmer?

The Frameworks you provide are wow.

Systems Architect for a medium sized company. Tend to do a fair bit of scripting/tools work to automate repetitive tasks for our ops teams.

Programming and Space Travel are my hobbies... such a nerd :P

v1.1.3.0 Now Available - Download from GitHub or Download from Curse* or Download from Kerbal Stuff * Once it's approved

• Recompiled for 0.90 and checked code stuff
  • Fixed some issues with KAC Integration (Issue #23)
  • Fixed Flyby Transfer adding Insertion Burn value (Issue #22)

FYI, The mannode stuff is underway, but not ready for public release yet.

Hey TriggerAu, this mod on KerbalStuff has the same issue as Alternate Resource Panel (KSP Version: 0.90). Is there any way you could modify this one as well to just read "0.90" so that CKAN will pick it up properly.

Thanks so much for your time and effort, this one is another one that should be stock, as are all your mods!

Hey TriggerAu, this mod on KerbalStuff has the same issue as Alternate Resource Panel (KSP Version: 0.90). Is there any way you could modify this one as well to just read "0.90" so that CKAN will pick it up properly.

Thanks so much for your time and effort, this one is another one that should be stock, as are all your mods!

I think I've tweaked this and ARp - forgot a commit from KAC for these projects. Let me know if its still an issue

Whenever I use this, I can't click on the staging and all of the buttons in the VAB/SPH and main menu are all grayed out.

Hi Alexguy, thats not good. Any chance you can send through a log/screenshot of the issue - post em in here directly if thats OK.

Two things that come to mind are : If there is no root part then it might do this - ie no parts in the editor scene, also if you have the mouse over the window it might do that sort of locking, but when you close the window the TWP shoudl have no interaction with the game at that point

I get the same lockout issue with TWP. After I close it I can't stage, cycle SAS, use right click menus. Going back to VAB or Center has all the buttons locked out. It's such a handy mod I just restart KSP after using it. I run a heap of mods and perhaps it's just conflicting.

Edited by Glorious Dear Leader
adding more info

Done a bunch of stuff tonight and played with the lockouts. I cant get it to occur in my dev branch, but I have tweaked things in there re locks as well.

If you have that issue and can look at the input locks in the debug toolbar (with TWP closed) that would be really helpful, next release should be tomorrow if I can finally get these stupid ManNodes to do what I want.

e0zNXvll.png

If you have that issue and can look at the input locks in the debug toolbar (with TWP closed) that would be really helpful, next release should be tomorrow if I can finally get these stupid ManNodes to do what I want.

Here's what it looked like on my system:

TWP-InputLock.jpg

I opened TWP in the map view, closed it, and input was dead.

(That shot was after I returned to the main view with TWP still closed)

Some details:

- I have it configured to launch from Blizzy's Toolbar (the stock thing is just awful)

- The input lock would not release no matter what I did

- I've tested a couple of times, it doesn't seem to happen from KSC, but it does when in space (map or no).

Ah, that's what happened! I'm not crazy!

This happened to me last night, in the same sort of situation as Renegrade. I was in LKO and checking to see if TWP would help me pick an optimal transfer to Minmus. When I realized it couldn't, I closed TWP and was unable to control my craft. That really caused me to scratch my head, but now I see that it might be TWP related.

Hold tight, a rfix is coming soonish for the input lock (thanks heaps for the info Renegrade) - just working one last thing. I'll also be moving stuff in the zip to help the CKAN guys out, and submitting a proper pull request to get it in CKAn proper and a few other things

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.