[1.12.x] Transfer Window Planner v1.8.0.0 (April 11)

TriggerAu

On 5/5/2016 at 0:21 PM, TriggerAu said:

Hoping to clear my backlog over the next day or two and get this updated. Sorry for the slowness

Hej, just want to say thank you for your time and efforts. I've read few very irritating posts blaming you for not being able to update TWP, and that's not really a nice thing.

42 minutes ago, Sphinx2k said:

I did not know this. Thanks. Is there a way to save the added planets for myself?

7 minutes ago, TrooperCooper said:

Unfortunately, I dont think so. At least not that I know of. Emphasising "desperate". :D

Nope.  Won't save...or if it can be it certainly hides itself very well...

Now that said...if you don't mind AMAZINGLY complete but also extremely complex you can always use @Arrowstar's KSP Trajectory Optimization Tool.  I warn you, it will blow your mind to begin with but you can bring you planned missions directly into KSP via the MATLAB plugin that runs with it. While technically an external tool it will interface with KSP and frankly, you can't get better mission planning than using this tool.  TWP is definitely easier and works great for single target windows.  But, with KSPTOT you can plan full missions including fly-bys, multi-body flight plans, gravity assists etc etc etc.  It is a downright work of art in its capabilities but it will require learning to use, especially the top end complex mission planning features but I promise, it's worth it.  And, it's newly updated for 1.1.x as of Sunday.  This may help some of you while waiting for TWP.

KSP Trajectory Optimization Tool

6 minutes ago, rasta013 said:

Nope.  Won't save...or if it can be it certainly hides itself very well...

Now that said...if you don't mind AMAZINGLY complete but also extremely complex you can always use @Arrowstar's KSP Trajectory Optimization Tool.  I warn you, it will blow your mind to begin with but you can bring you planned missions directly into KSP via the MATLAB plugin that runs with it. While technically an external tool it will interface with KSP and frankly, you can't get better mission planning than using this tool.  TWP is definitely easier and works great for single target windows.  But, with KSPTOT you can plan full missions including fly-bys, multi-body flight plans, gravity assists etc etc etc.  It is a downright work of art in its capabilities but it will require learning to use, especially the top end complex mission planning features but I promise, it's worth it.  And, it's newly updated for 1.1.x as of Sunday.  This may help some of you while waiting for TWP.

KSP Trajectory Optimization Tool

Learn something new every day. Looks complex. I might dig into it. Thanks for that. :)

Edited by TrooperCooper

3 minutes ago, TrooperCooper said:

Learn something new every day. Looks complex. I might dig into it. Thanks for that. :)

Glad I could help...the github repo also has a wiki with some good info about using it as well.  With this amazing thing every little bit has helped me.:wink:

9 hours ago, Sphinx2k said:

I did not know this. Thanks. Is there a way to save the added planets for myself?

You can fork the github repo and edit the OPM planets into the celestialbodies.coffee file. I can try to do this this afternoon and post a link if you like.

Hey guys, author of KSP Trajectory Optimization Tool here.  Please shoot me questions via PM or on the KSPTOT thread if you have questions about the software.  Let's move any KSPTOT discussion to my thread, by the way, to keep this one for its own respective tool.  Thanks!

8 hours ago, sinpro said:

Love this mod. Hope that it was updated because it doesnt work in current game version :(

Can confirm, AlexMoons website works, and the relevant info for OPM is listed here if you use that as well. It's certainly nice to have the in-game version, but nothing is unplayable with the info you can find in just the last few pages :)

21 hours ago, Eleven said:

Can confirm, AlexMoons website works, and the relevant info for OPM is listed here if you use that as well. It's certainly nice to have the in-game version, but nothing is unplayable with the info you can find in just the last few pages :)

Yes and no.  The in-game version was both (1) easy to use on linux and (2) used actually in-game data.  That meant that it automatically calibrated for non-stock planet sizes.  I play in a 6.4x system with OPM, meaning that both the new and old planets aren't where they are meant to be.  Calculating and moving all of that orbit data into some external tool is very tedious.

15 minutes ago, HoveringKiller said:

Yea but generally only once launched, not really to plan on when to launch so you're not stuck in space forever.

Just launch a very simple probe in orbit and plan the better transfer window for every planet, add an alarm in KAC for every maneuver node and you're done.

Just letting you know I am working on it on and off. Got all the errors out, but the window code no longer works in 1.1 :( 

Wife's got me painting rooms now that I have "spare" time - she just doesn't understand the importance of interplanetary transfer windows in KSP.

37 minutes ago, TriggerAu said:

she just doesn't understand the importance of interplanetary transfer windows in KSP.

Shame. Your kids will probably miss her.

:D

Great mod FYI

On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 3:44 AM, Battledamaged10 said:

I have this installed, along with New Horizons and Outer Planets Mod, and I want to go to Lave, so I set my origin as Kerbin, but it doesn't let me pick Lave, only Mun, Aptur, and Serran.

Old question but never got answered. Transfer Window Planner can only handle transfers between two satellites of the same body. Kerbin is a moon of Sonnah in New Horizons, so TWP will only give you transfers to the other moons of Sonnah. If you set your origin body as Sonnah, which is a planet orbiting the Sun, and your altitude to match Kerbin's orbital radius which you can read out from the map view, then TWP will give you transfers to the other planets. The transfer windows will be basically right, but it won't give the correct delta-V for a departure directly from LKO.

You will need a more advanced tool to fully plan interplanetary journeys in New Horizons. Consider it part of the challenge of that planetary system.

28 minutes ago, cantab said:

Old question but never got answered. Transfer Window Planner can only handle transfers between two satellites of the same body.

I don't think that is accurate, I have been using Transfer Window Planner since KSP 0.90 just until 1.0.5 and I have always used it to plan my transfers to other planets from Earth (always using RSS/RO) :D

I believe it is MechJeb which can only calculate Hohmann transfers to objects within the same sphere of influence :)

Edited by hypervelocity

Just now, hypervelocity said:

I don't think that is accurate, I have been using Transfer Window Planner since KSP 0.90 just until 1.0.5 and I have always used it to plan my transfers to other planets from Earth (always using RSS/RO) :D

Earth and the other planets are satellites of the Sun. TWP will calculate sibling-sibling transfers, but not uncle-nephew or nephew-uncle. E.g. Earth to another planet is fine, Moon to another planet is not, nor is Earth to, say, Titan.

1 hour ago, TriggerAu said:

Just letting you know I am working on it on and off. Got all the errors out, but the window code no longer works in 1.1 :( 

Wife's got me painting rooms now that I have "spare" time - she just doesn't understand the importance of interplanetary transfer windows in KSP.

I really appreciate the work that you and all other modders do for the community

Waiting the version compatible with 1.1.2, and hope you finish soon and fine the tedious paint :D:P

14 hours ago, Nansuchao said:

You can always use the tool of MechJeb. It's really precise.

Also kerbal alarm clock can do it (at least from kerbin to moons or other planets), but I really love this mod

It's like say: "you can drink pepsi" 

Sure! But I prefer coke or water instead :kiss:

Edited by sinpro
version

5 hours ago, TriggerAu said:

Take your time, get it right.  Life is more important than video games.

Personally, I'm waiting for 1.1.3 anyway.

2 hours ago, Nansuchao said:

I'm sorry if I sounded rude. I was just suggesting an alternative while this one isn't yet available.

You were not rude in the slightest.  No worries.

Edited by Alshain

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.