[1.12.x] Transfer Window Planner v1.8.0.0 (April 11)

TriggerAu

Thats another Mod? Maybe its simply the pixel offset of teh dropdown menu code or somesuch. Thats for the heads up that will get me close to the right place in the code

I think this is the issue. I've messed around with it and clicking dead center on "Sarnus" will choose Pol. Clicking in the bottom to bottom left corner of the word "Sarnus" will choose it correctly for you.

I think this is the issue. I've messed around with it and clicking dead center on "Sarnus" will choose Pol. Clicking in the bottom to bottom left corner of the word "Sarnus" will choose it correctly for you.

Yeah, I have confirmed its the issue - I should get some time this week to look into it

And the entirety of the code to fix that incorrect selection issue is below

+1

Soooooooo annoyed - forgot to take into account the pager row at the top of the long list when calculating the selected row :(

Have that one fixed now - will look through the others before i send a new version. Thanks for the heads up guys

Thanks for this very helpful mod, but it have one problem. Alexmoon's calculator shows an angle from burn to Kerbin's orbital prograde direction. Is it possible to get that value in this mod? It is easiest way to get inclined parking orbit with correct LAN (by using information from MechJeb2). It saves typically some tens of meters per second and in best situations (large burn to high inclination) much more. And it is lot more fun to use more complicated and optimal trajectories. It would also be nice to get prograde dv value for such a burn even it is easy to calculate with calculator.

What is "Margin" meant to do, under "Alarm Clock Integration"? It doesn't seem to do anything for me, as the alarm got set for the exact time of the calculated "Departure", even though I had the Margin set to 24 hours.

For instance, my in-game time is currently Year 1, Day 34, and I used a latest departure of Year 2, Day 34 to calculate the following:

Kerbin (@75km) -> Duna (@50km)
Depart at: Year 1, Day 234, 3:20:24
UT: 5044825
Travel: 264 Days, 0:43:17
UT: 5704998
Arrive at: Year 2, Day 72, 4:03:42
UT: 10749823
Phase Angle: 37.32°
Ejection Angle: 158.78°
Ejection Inc.: 2.15°
Ejection ÃŽâ€v: 1052 m/s
Prograde ÃŽâ€v: 1044.3 m/s
Normal ÃŽâ€v: 124.9 m/s
Heading: 83.18°
Insertion Inc.: -1.71°
Insertion ÃŽâ€v: 651 m/s
Total ÃŽâ€v: 1703 m/s

When I click "Add KAC Alarm", it sets an alarm for 200 days from now, rather than the 196 days I might expect (24 hours being 4 Kerbin days).

Thanks for this very helpful mod, but it have one problem.

Sorry, forget this. Ejection angle is there. I do not understand why I did not notice it. Maybe too much KSP hours have melted my brains.

I love this game, but my god does it make me feel uninformed at times. I'm trying to use this mod, and I have plotted and picked the departure I want. However I have absolutely NO idea what to do with the information. What is Ejection Angle, Inclination, Normal, and so on? I mean I know what all this means when you are in an orbit, but I have no idea how to translate the information into a maneuver node, or eyeball it on the navball. Could someone try and enlighten me?

EDIT: Alright I have precision node up now. Reading what the info from TWP, it says I need to make A maneuver (I'm assuming, since there are no other details, that its all suppose to be done in one go) with 3.2 DeltaV Normal and 207 DeltaV Prograde, and it needs to happen at UT: 1584668

Does this mean, that if I make a maneuver, add the time, and the DeltaV changes with Precision Node to that, I should get the desired burn? (By eyeballing, it doesn't look like the inclination change is big enough at all, but otherwise it does look kinda right doing it that way, however I play without resets and quick saves, so I'm a bit nervous just going for it)

Edited by Sokar408

I love this game, but my god does it make me feel uninformed at times. I'm trying to use this mod, and I have plotted and picked the departure I want. However I have absolutely NO idea what to do with the information. What is Ejection Angle, Inclination, Normal, and so on? I mean I know what all this means when you are in an orbit, but I have no idea how to translate the information into a maneuver node, or eyeball it on the navball. Could someone try and enlighten me?

EDIT: Alright I have precision node up now. Reading what the info from TWP, it says I need to make A maneuver (I'm assuming, since there are no other details, that its all suppose to be done in one go) with 3.2 DeltaV Normal and 207 DeltaV Prograde, and it needs to happen at UT: 1584668

Does this mean, that if I make a maneuver, add the time, and the DeltaV changes with Precision Node to that, I should get the desired burn? (By eyeballing, it doesn't look like the inclination change is big enough at all, but otherwise it does look kinda right doing it that way, however I play without resets and quick saves, so I'm a bit nervous just going for it)

Das Valdez on twitch had a video that showed simply how to use the info from TWP, but I cannot remember which VOD it's in :(

I'll try to quickly summarize. You need 4 pieces of info after you've plotted. 1, the Date of departure. 2, Ejection Angle. 3, Prograde dV. 4, Ejection dV. You'll also need to make a note of the line that says "Normal Ejection dV or Anti-Normal Ejection dV" <---The only important piece there is if it says Normal or Anti-Normal. The number doesn't matter.

Then to set up the node, time warp to the Date, doesn't have to be exact, just get to that day. Go to your ship, open up map view, focus on Kerbin (to help keep things centered and easier to manipulate. I use Kerbal Engineer, it has a display for Ejection Angle. I'm not sure if Precise Node does. You need to be able to see this number accurately. Click anywhere on your orbit and create a node, then drag it around the orbit until you are at your intended Ejection Angle.

After that, pull Prograde long enough to match your Prograde Ejection dv. Then remembering which direction the Normal/Anti-Normal Ejection dV line was. you will pull either Normal or Anti-Normal to get your nodes total dV to match your Total Ejection dV from TWP.

Because you started on the day of departure and not the exact time, you may need to adjust the time of the node with Precise Node to get an encounter with your target.

That's it. I hope I was clear enough, I will try to find that video where I learned this, and post it :)

Das Valdez on twitch had a video that showed simply how to use the info from TWP, but I cannot remember which VOD it's in :(

I'll try to quickly summarize. You need 4 pieces of info after you've plotted. 1, the Date of departure. 2, Ejection Angle. 3, Prograde dV. 4, Ejection dV. You'll also need to make a note of the line that says "Normal Ejection dV or Anti-Normal Ejection dV" <---The only important piece there is if it says Normal or Anti-Normal. The number doesn't matter.

Then to set up the node, time warp to the Date, doesn't have to be exact, just get to that day. Go to your ship, open up map view, focus on Kerbin (to help keep things centered and easier to manipulate. I use Kerbal Engineer, it has a display for Ejection Angle. I'm not sure if Precise Node does. You need to be able to see this number accurately. Click anywhere on your orbit and create a node, then drag it around the orbit until you are at your intended Ejection Angle.

After that, pull Prograde long enough to match your Prograde Ejection dv. Then remembering which direction the Normal/Anti-Normal Ejection dV line was. you will pull either Normal or Anti-Normal to get your nodes total dV to match your Total Ejection dV from TWP.

Because you started on the day of departure and not the exact time, you may need to adjust the time of the node with Precise Node to get an encounter with your target.

That's it. I hope I was clear enough, I will try to find that video where I learned this, and post it :)

Very imformative, thank you so much :)

I'm not sure if this is the video you meant, but I Googled Das Valdez and found this discussion of an earlier, alternative (web) version of TWP. It looks like you can simply plug in the prograde deltaV and normal deltaV directly into PreciseNode, which is very helpful. Also, the video demonstrates how to move the node around to find the right ejection angle. Check out the bit starting around 1:29:40.

- - - Updated - - -

I very much appreciate Trigger's work on this mod. Thank you for taking the time to make it. I'm curious, though: could I just rely on Alexmoon's web-based planner, or does this mod add functionality (or accuracy) that Alex's program lacks? It's not a big deal to me to alt-tab out to use a web browser for a couple minutes, and I prefer to run with a lightly-modded install if I can. Thanks again.

I'm not sure if this is the video you meant, but I Googled Das Valdez and found this discussion of an earlier, alternative (web) version of TWP. It looks like you can simply plug in the prograde deltaV and normal deltaV directly into PreciseNode, which is very helpful. Also, the video demonstrates how to move the node around to find the right ejection angle. Check out the bit starting around 1:29:40.

- - - Updated - - -

I very much appreciate Trigger's work on this mod. Thank you for taking the time to make it. I'm curious, though: could I just rely on Alexmoon's web-based planner, or does this mod add functionality (or accuracy) that Alex's program lacks? It's not a big deal to me to alt-tab out to use a web browser for a couple minutes, and I prefer to run with a lightly-modded install if I can. Thanks again.

Alex is the one who provided the code for the maths of the mod - so yes you can use either and get very similar results

• 2 weeks later...

Trigger, could you add a line somewhere with the current Date/Time. I know that may sound a bit silly but when you are planning your trip from within the editors and you want to choose a good departure date there is no way to see it without exiting the editor.

EDIT: Well I just realized it is on Alarm Clock so I guess nevermind.

Edited by Alshain

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone else had a problem where the dV reported on mouseover, and displayed by the marker on the legend when you click, is sometimes wildly inconsistent with dV indicated by the color of the porkchop plot, and by the "total dV" field when you click? For instance, I'm looking now at a plot where the mouseover text said 4760, but the "total dV" when I click is 2795 (the latter is the one that makes sense).

Also, a feature request: sometimes I want to optimize my departure for soonest arrival time rather than shortest travel time; would it be possible to have a setting to make the porkchop plot show absolute time rather than travel time on the vertical scale?

Has anyone else had a problem where the dV reported on mouseover, and displayed by the marker on the legend when you click, is sometimes wildly inconsistent with dV indicated by the color of the porkchop plot, and by the "total dV" field when you click? For instance, I'm looking now at a plot where the mouseover text said 4760, but the "total dV" when I click is 2795 (the latter is the one that makes sense).

Also, a feature request: sometimes I want to optimize my departure for soonest arrival time rather than shortest travel time; would it be possible to have a setting to make the porkchop plot show absolute time rather than travel time on the vertical scale?

Havent seen the first issue myself, but would be good to see what others have

For the request that seems easy enough from an idea perspective, I'll see whats possible

Ive spent what time I have in the last week trying to work out the how to make a maneuvernode math, I think I am slowly getting there, but my old brain is slow :/

• 2 weeks later...

I've been spending waaay too much time trying to work out this man node creation business. I have figured out a bunch of the math, but cant seem to work out the alteration to the node I need to make to cater to the changes from the source planets SOI. For now I am parking this feature as its been driving me mad and delaying some other stuff.

v1.3.1.0 Now Available - Download from GitHub or Download from Curse* or Download from Kerbal Stuff * Once it's approved

• Fix added for long drop down lists when theres lots of planets (Issue #33)

Is there anything like this for doing multiple transfers?

I recently installed outer planets and with it I think comes a real benefit to a slingshot maneuver. Previously the only real slingshot I have ever used is Eve's gravity to decelerate down towards Moho but beyond planning the Eve transit I didn't give it much further thought, the resulting orbits orbital period will be short enough to just wait for a convenient subsequent Moho alignment.

However going out the other way, it gets much more time consuming. Slingshotting round Jool would be very useful to get further out, however I'd wanna be at least roughly sure where the outer planet would be along the resulting flight path. . . . if it's substantially off-target correcting would cost an insane amount of either fuel or time!

Basically I'm asking if there's anyway to tell me when's a good time / alignment to launch for the following kind of flight path

Kerbin --> Jool --> Outer Planet

Is there anything like this for doing multiple transfers?

I recently installed outer planets and with it I think comes a real benefit to a slingshot maneuver. Previously the only real slingshot I have ever used is Eve's gravity to decelerate down towards Moho but beyond planning the Eve transit I didn't give it much further thought, the resulting orbits orbital period will be short enough to just wait for a convenient subsequent Moho alignment.

However going out the other way, it gets much more time consuming. Slingshotting round Jool would be very useful to get further out, however I'd wanna be at least roughly sure where the outer planet would be along the resulting flight path. . . . if it's substantially off-target correcting would cost an insane amount of either fuel or time!

Basically I'm asking if there's anyway to tell me when's a good time / alignment to launch for the following kind of flight path

Kerbin --> Jool --> Outer Planet

I've seen this used quite well for that kind of thing - http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/36476-WIN-MAC-KSP-Trajectory-Optimization-Tool-v1-4-0-RemoteTech-Comm-Analysis-Tools!

I am trying to work out a way to display some detail like that, and now that I've given up on maneuver nodes I can put some time into multi hop bits

• 2 weeks later...

How does this handle games with planet orbits that have been modified? Specifically I'm planning to put my entire game on a 23 degree inclination with hyperedit to simulate axial tilt, and I'm wondering if this tool will still function for the transfer burns to other planets.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.