[1.12.x] Transfer Window Planner v1.8.0.0 (April 11)

TriggerAu

Is it possible to include apses of transfer orbit and transfer angle as shown in Alexmoon's calculator. They are great help when I try to get correct Moho transfer.

It would also be nice to have orbital parameters of optimal inclined parking orbit, needed prograde dv and true anomaly of ejection burn.

Thanks for the great mod. It helps much to calculate transfers in KSP instead of other program or www-page.

6 hours ago, Speadge said:

its just Dec 2nd; not 3rd ;)

I get there earlier than most people being in Aus yeah :P

5 hours ago, Hannu2 said:

Is it possible to include apses of transfer orbit and transfer angle as shown in Alexmoon's calculator. They are great help when I try to get correct Moho transfer.

It would also be nice to have orbital parameters of optimal inclined parking orbit, needed prograde dv and true anomaly of ejection burn.

Thanks for the great mod. It helps much to calculate transfers in KSP instead of other program or www-page.

Your welcome. I'll see how much work that would be and maybe add it in a later release - with my other commitments its getting hard to find time, but am still happy to be adding to these.

22 minutes ago, Speadge said:

You're from the Future? :-O

Most important Question: What is 1.1 like? is it worth the waiting? ;)

He said it was December 3rd, not 2016 :D

Thanks for the update Trigger, this is an essential mod for KSP in my book. I won't leave Kerbin's SOI without it! Can't wait to see the angle in action.

Edited by 5thHorseman

One thing that I would like to see is an option for the "Add KAC Alarm" button to create (2) alarms instead of just one.  These two alarms would define the start/end of the transfer window instead of just the selected point in time.  They should be the earliest or latest departure times, with identical travel duration, less then 102% of the chosen point in time's dV.

So if I pick a point with 3025 dV, I'd want to see the earliest and latest that I can leave for for 3055 dV (1% more) before/after that point in time.

Thats a pretty cool idea, I'll add it to the list. Will need a bit of mumbo jumbo to work out the start/end though.

Do you see that as 1% either side with the same travel time? or just within 1% of dV value overall

Edited by TriggerAu
question added

Well, my initial assumption is that the player will place the target time somewhere near a local minima which matches their target dV.  In which case we take the local minima value and walk east/west on the graph until we get above 101% of the target dV.  Not 100% sure how to do the walk other then go in 5 or 10 minute increments.  Or go 1 minute west on the graph, calculate the slope steepness then go in 1-15 minute steps based on the steepness.  Then repeat the walk, going east on the graph.

If the player puts the target time at something much higher then a local minima, then they're going to get a very wide window, maybe with a maximum of +/- 30 days to prevent runaway code.

Accuracy only needs to be down to the nearest 5 minutes I think, maybe even the nearest 15 minutes would be fine.  I just want to know if I have a 3 hour launch window, a 3 day launch window or a 3 week launch window for that approximate dV.

On 12/7/2015, 9:45:58, WuphonsReach said:

Well, my initial assumption is that the player will place the target time somewhere near a local minima which matches their target dV.  In which case we take the local minima value and walk east/west on the graph until we get above 101% of the target dV.  Not 100% sure how to do the walk other then go in 5 or 10 minute increments.  Or go 1 minute west on the graph, calculate the slope steepness then go in 1-15 minute steps based on the steepness.  Then repeat the walk, going east on the graph.

If the player puts the target time at something much higher then a local minima, then they're going to get a very wide window, maybe with a maximum of +/- 30 days to prevent runaway code.

Accuracy only needs to be down to the nearest 5 minutes I think, maybe even the nearest 15 minutes would be fine.  I just want to know if I have a 3 hour launch window, a 3 day launch window or a 3 week launch window for that approximate dV.

I can probably do that, the values are all in an array, so I can walk left/right and find that value, the graph is 300 values wide so usually each step is more than a day. I'll see what it looks like when I find some spare time :P

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Wcmille said:

Suggested Idea (I'd be willing to submit a pull request):

Show the gate orbits for both arrival and departure. This tells you the optimal departure and arrival altitudes for the transfer.

That would be an excellent addition, I noticed it myself whilst playing with parking orbits, never realized there was an official name for it. :) 

Just realized, after reading up on this, that there is also an optimal arrival orbit, i.e. it will require the least delta V to circularize from the arriving hyperbole. Now if those two values could be shown... That would just be awesome.

Edited by Snarfster

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to replace the color gradient that is used by one where the luminosity of the color roughly matches the value? It doesn't have to be gray scale, but while the rainbow gradient is the default gradient in matlab ("jet"), it is far from being an optimal choice. See here, here, and here for instance. I think it would improve the tool to something even better than it already is.

• 4 weeks later...

Bug report:

The mod doesn't seem to properly handle NaNs, though it's doing it halfway right.  The pork chop graph isn't drawn correctly.  I blame the New Horizons planet pack, since I strongly suspect two particular muns of having overlapping SOIs.  In any case...

Fix:

1. Calculate min and max DV, but make sure to check for and disregard any NaNs.

2. Create a second buffer (you still want it to display NaN when you mouseover the appropriate spots), flushing NaNs to something like System.Single.MaxValue.  This will give you a valid buffer to display the pork chop graph.  Make sure to derive the color gradient from the values obtained in (1).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Battledamaged10 said:

There currently is no mods that are compatible with 1.1 pre-release

That's not correct, many mods have already updated.

That said, the release hasn't been out long and TriggerAu's been very involved in the QA/Exps/Prerelease process so please be considerate in realizing that the core game comes first.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.