[1.12.x] Transfer Window Planner v1.8.0.0 (April 11)

TriggerAu

On 6/16/2016 at 11:13 AM, StickyScissors said:

Yeah, it appears my TWP is borked somehow. The thing is, i have tried reinstalling this multiple times but it just wont give me the correct outputs. No other mods either :/

Just put in the same parameters as the in-game image image shows you had and im still getting incorrect values

wGlz6wt.png 

I'll keep trying, but from the looks of things, it's not gonna fix itself

Why do you use "Time of Flight" from 50 to 50 days?

4 hours ago, StickyScissors said:

It was to demonstration the blatantly incorrect numbers that TWP was spitting out. a 50 day transfer to Eve does not cost 1026m/s of Delta-v, it takes ~2100m/s

It works for me when I enter an interval of 40 to 60 days and then pick out the 50 day flight with mouse. TWP wasn't designed for a single day time interval calculation. By algorhitm first number must always be lower than the last.

Edited by Enceos

48 minutes ago, Enceos said:

It works for me when I enter an interval of 40 to 60 days and then pick out the 50 day flight with mouse. TWP wasn't designed for a single day time interval calculation. By algorhitm first number must always be lower than the last.

Well, i did it that way in 1.0.5, (120d transfers, though) so that wasn't the issue. Again, it didn't matter what flight time i chose, i still got incorrect values.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm fully expecting that I've just done something stupid, but my first attempt at using TWP in New Horizons is giving me what appears to be a completely incorrect maneuver.

I set TWP to give me a burn from Aptur to Serran but the time for the burn is clearly far too early. To help show what I mean I've put a couple of screenshots of the instructions output from TWP in the map view.

OUXnZTA.png

qrOGbe8.png

Any ideas appreciated.

I love this mod!  I think this is much better than MechJeb's implementation.  However, it would be a HUGE improvement to allow starting orbits to have inclinations other than zero.  I don't ever start at the equator (launching from Cape Canaveral in RSS), so I need my numbers (especially direction and timing) to be relative to an inclined departure orbit.  How hard would that be to add?

On 7/27/2016 at 8:20 PM, purpleivan said:

I'm fully expecting that I've just done something stupid, but my first attempt at using TWP in New Horizons is giving me what appears to be a completely incorrect maneuver.

I set TWP to give me a burn from Aptur to Serran but the time for the burn is clearly far too early. To help show what I mean I've put a couple of screenshots of the instructions output from TWP in the map view.

[snip]

Any ideas appreciated.

Your manoeuvre is 4 days early which makes a huge difference for such a short transfer. TWP shows departure Y1 D44 while KAC shows current is Y1 D40.

You need to warp ahead to closer to the departure time before setting up the node or use some tool like Precise Node or Precise Maneuver to move the node further ahead in time. (You could also use the + one orbit buttons on the stock manoeuvre edit tool to adjust forward)

Edited by Aelfhe1m

2 hours ago, Aelfhe1m said:

Your manoeuvre is 4 days early which makes a huge difference for such a short transfer. TWP shows departure Y1 D44 while KAC shows current is Y1 D40.

You need to warp ahead to closer to the departure time before setting up the node or use some tool like Precise Node or Precise Maneuver to move the node further ahead in time. (You could also use the + one orbit buttons on the stock manoeuvre edit tool to adjust forward)

I've no idea why I didn't notice that... can't for the life of me understand what was making me think it was the correct time to make the burn.

Of course trying to make a burn over a relatively short distance four days early would make the info from TWP pretty much useless.

Thanks for pointing out my embarrassing mistake :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

What does ejection inclination actually mean and how to achieve it? I planned a manouver from Kerbin to Moho and it told me an ejection inclination of about -13 degrees. I use Precise Node so I set up a node with the parameters (time, propagade and normal delta v) closest to the values of the transfer. I was on an equitorial orbit (less than one degree of inclination). Precise Node told me that my ejection inclination is "2.4 degrees north", which is not quite what was in the planned transfer. Of course I had to adjust the manouver node to actually meet with Moho and achieved it with a few hundred more delta v than planned.

My guess is that I need to have some inclination on the parking orbit to get the necessary ejection inclination. But exactly what inclination do I need and where should I have my ascending/descending nodes so that it would work well?

On 26.8.2016 at 7:27 PM, petersohn said:

What does ejection inclination actually mean and how to achieve it? I planned a manouver from Kerbin to Moho and it told me an ejection inclination of about -13 degrees. I use Precise Node so I set up a node with the parameters (time, propagade and normal delta v) closest to the values of the transfer. I was on an equitorial orbit (less than one degree of inclination). Precise Node told me that my ejection inclination is "2.4 degrees north", which is not quite what was in the planned transfer. Of course I had to adjust the manouver node to actually meet with Moho and achieved it with a few hundred more delta v than planned.

My guess is that I need to have some inclination on the parking orbit to get the necessary ejection inclination. But exactly what inclination do I need and where should I have my ascending/descending nodes so that it would work well?

I just wanted to ask EXACTLY the same... :-)

OK, just found out... I think... the "ejection inclination" is is inclination of the resulting solar orbit after leaving the SOI of kerbin.
The mod "precise maneuver" (not precide node) can show this value when setting up a maneuver node.

And regarding my question before that, the 4d offset is the 24h alarm margin that TWP is using when setting up a KAC alarm. One can change/disable this marging in the TWP setting.

BR
Rob

On 2016. 08. 31. at 1:42 PM, Rob2222 said:

OK, just found out... I think... the "ejection inclination" is is inclination of the resulting solar orbit after leaving the SOI of kerbin.
The mod "precise maneuver" (not precide node) can show this value when setting up a maneuver node.

Precise node (this one) shows the value too. My question is that how do I find out what the parameters of the parking orbit needs to be in order to achieve said inclination? Because starting from an equitorial orbit and planning the manouver with the (approximately) exact time, ejection angle and delta-v I get quite a different ejection angle.

A different question: is there any way of planning a gravity assist manouver? I mean, I can plan a flyby to planet Foo, but I need to plan it so that after the flyby I enter a transfer orbit to planet Bar (possibly with a correction manouver at the periapsis).

• 2 weeks later...

TWP-Ejection-Inclination is not the Precise-Node-Ejection-Angle... It's the inlination of the resulting orbit _after leaving the SOI_. Afaik precise node doesn't show that. But precise maneuver shows it. See here at "Incl." (not ej. inclination or ej. angle).

Edited by Rob2222

• 2 weeks later...

Good news for anyone using 1.2pre... if you update the references and recompile, you can start using TWP today.  KAC runs, but has an issue saving to the scenarios {} bit of the save file so all of the alarms disappear when switching vessels.

zEBhmi0.png

Edited by ninjaneer

On 9/26/2016 at 1:42 PM, ninjaneer said:

Good news for anyone using 1.2pre... if you update the references and recompile, you can start using TWP today.  KAC runs, but has an issue saving to the scenarios {} bit of the save file so all of the alarms disappear when switching vessels.

zEBhmi0.png

I'll be glad when Trigger Au finally has time to update this. Playing 1.2pre without it has not been a pleasant experience. Lol.

On 10/2/2016 at 0:23 AM, metl said:

I'll be glad when Trigger Au finally has time to update this. Playing 1.2pre without it has not been a pleasant experience. Lol.

He's probably on top of things, but most modders are holding out until the official release.  I just got an itch to try out the new kerbalnet bit from other planets and took matters into my own hands.

10 hours ago, ninjaneer said:

He's probably on top of things, but most modders are holding out until the official release.  I just got an itch to try out the new kerbalnet bit from other planets and took matters into my own hands.

TriggerAu is now an official Squad KSP staff developer - 1.2 as a whole is more important to him right now than his suite of mods.

On 9/26/2016 at 2:42 PM, ninjaneer said:

zEBhmi0.png

Hey, Ninjaneer... Any chance of you sharing the fixed mod files for us folks that wouldn't know how to recompile if their life depended on it? I'd love to have even a jury-rigged version of the mod...

4 hours ago, Kardea said:

Hey, Ninjaneer... Any chance of you sharing the fixed mod files for us folks that wouldn't know how to recompile if their life depended on it? I'd love to have even a jury-rigged version of the mod...

We're pretty close to 1.2.  I couldn't get KAC to work in the free time that I've had, and that's much more important than TWP.  I think there's a website out there for TWP stuff.

Let TriggerAu do the Lord's work on getting 1.2 ready and wow us all.

On 26/09/2016 at 8:42 PM, ninjaneer said:

zEBhmi0.png

Hi there

Tried to recompile, but a reference to KSPUtil.dll eludes me - there is no such file in the 1.2 ZIP - not in x86 or x64.

On 25/06/2016 at 2:43 PM, precision77 said:

Is there a way to create a maneuver node out of the TWP using the plotted maneuver?

(if not, it would be a nice feature)

If you have Kerbal Alarm Clock (KAC) you can create a placeholder node, but since your orbit could place you anywhere around the source body actually making a node that is correct for your orbital situation is not trivial. I use KAC to create a roughly correct node, then PreciseNode to edit it to more correctly reflect TWP's suggestion (angles etc).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.