[1.12.x] Transfer Window Planner v1.8.0.0 (April 11)

TriggerAu

3 hours ago, jost said:

Can somebody confirm this? I didn't expected this because of the Unity Upgrade in 1.8

I can confirm it installs, loads and runs under 1.8.1 stock but I didn't spend enough time on it to determine if the values are correct.  Probably though.

TBH, it wouldn't have taken you too much longer to try this out yourself than it did to read and respond to the forum post.  Just create a separate, clean KSP install (you should always have one around anyway - avoid playing on your only copy of the game) and then add the mod.

13 hours ago, Brigadier said:

I can confirm it installs, loads and runs under 1.8.1 stock but I didn't spend enough time on it to determine if the values are correct.  Probably though.

TBH, it wouldn't have taken you too much longer to try this out yourself than it did to read and respond to the forum post.  Just create a separate, clean KSP install (you should always have one around anyway - avoid playing on your only copy of the game) and then add the mod.

I actually thought the same after my posting and can confirm that it seems to work. Still need to test the  values though. But I guess they are correct since the math havn't changed in the update. The planets are still at the same place.

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, paul23 said:

Is it possible to use this mod to plan transfer windows to asteroids and other objects?

As far as the game is concerned, asteroids are parts, not on-rails celestial bodies like the planets and moons. That’s why you can grab them and move them around.

In short: No, you can’t use TWP to go to asteroids, and since many asteroids pass through Kerbin’s SOI anyway, you don’t really need to.

5 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

As far as the game is concerned, asteroids are parts, not on-rails celestial bodies like the planets and moons. That’s why you can grab them and move them around.

In short: No, you can’t use TWP to go to asteroids, and since many asteroids pass through Kerbin’s SOI anyway, you don’t really need to.

Well they have a (temporary) orbit and all orbital parameters are "in the save file" (though not visible so it's hard to calculate manually).

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/22/2019 at 5:55 PM, paul23 said:

Is it possible to use this mod to plan transfer windows to asteroids and other objects?

You can however use the online calculator by Alex Moon that TriggerAU links to in the credits for this mod. It's not as simple, because you'll have to establish a little familiarity with the variables of the orbit description to target an orbit, but it works!

Once Kopernicus comes out and OPM updates to use it (hopefully before 1.9?) will this work with OPM or will it need to be re-updated?

Im getting ready to start playing career again, and I want to do it on 1.8.1, and almost all my favorite mods are there except for the Kopernicus and OPM based ones.

1 hour ago, Murdabenne said:

Once Kopernicus comes out and OPM updates to use it (hopefully before 1.9?) will this work with OPM or will it need to be re-updated?

Im getting ready to start playing career again, and I want to do it on 1.8.1, and almost all my favorite mods are there except for the Kopernicus and OPM based ones.

TWP works with all Kopernicus planet mods because it simply reads their orbital parameters from their config files. I don't use Kopernicus myself, but I don't see why TWP would stop working with it unless something major changes.

On 12/7/2019 at 12:00 AM, jost said:

Can somebody confirm this? I didn't expected this because of the Unity Upgrade in 1.8

I have played couple of days and at it seems to work. At least basic functions, I have not tested all things I never use.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2019 at 4:00 PM, jost said:

I don't know if this is another one of my mods conflicting, but I just used TWP with JNSQ and it crashed instantly the moment I hit 'Plot It'. 

EDIT: Actually nvm, it appears to work fine now after rebooting. Not sure what happened.

Edited by Invaderchaos

I realize this isn't the most efficient transfer, but I was just testing to see what it would take to reach Duna if I had to go now. I'm having a bit of an issue though with none of the values matching up. The intercept is way off, and so is the time, unless I'm doing something very wrong which is entirely possible. I managed to get my own intercept by trial and error, but it was around 188 days and took over 3000 m/s delta v from this position.

(click to enlarge)

screenshot14.png

screenshot15.png

I can't really think of a situation where you'd have to leave at a certain time, short of the planet exploding. So normally you'd want to look at the earliest possible arrival.

However, if you're in the "get off of this rock ASAP" situation, it seems it would be better to dispense with the planner, and just do a burn that will put you in an escape trajectory more or less along the path of Kerbin's orbit, and then once you've exited look for a maneuver node which will do the trick.

I sometimes use exactly that to get back from Gilly, since it's hard anticipate right ejection angle otherwise.

I was mainly testing this mod and wanted to confirm that, despite the current sub-optimal positioning of the planets in this case, it would still create a viable intercept. The mod shows the most "efficient" window over the next two days (so I could make a maneuver node now essentially) has an ejection angle of 31°, Δv of 1807 m/s, and a travel time of 325 days. When I create a maneuver node to that effect, I get the screenshot I attached which shows an intercept at 176 days and a 11,707,333.4 km separation. What am I doing wrong in this scenario? I've played with the node considerably, but without using a very different ejection angle and Δv, the intercept doesn't come close at all.

Yes, I know I should wait for a better phase angle for a real mission. Nonetheless, just from maneuver nodes the mod's calculation doesn't seem viable. I'm probably missing a critical step in its usage or how the information is used.  Someone please nudge me in the right direction.

EDIT: I should note that I'm on [1.8.1.2694], and I'm just noticing that the listed compatibility for this is [1.7.x]. This mod looks so awesome, I didn't notice. The interface seems to work fine (again I'm a first time user), but perhaps there were some other game changes affecting calculations?

Edited by _alphaBeta_

Ah, I see now.

I think maybe what you're seeing there is that the tolerances become really tight and unworkable in a situation like that, such that a tiny misalignment can do extreme things with the margin of error.

In any case what Trigger Au has done here is to re-implement Alex Moon's JavaScript transfer planner in-game. I guess you can get the orignal CoffeeScript code here: https://github.com/alexmoon/ksp/tree/gh-pages/javascripts, and maybe write some tests to push it in corner cases.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
1 minute ago, hemeac said:

Have you tried it on 1.10.1? I have been using it in 1.9.1 and seems to be working well.

CKAN doesn't have it listed as compatible so I've been avoiding it, but I'll give it a go and see what happens. Last time I tried I couldn't see the TWP icon on the right hand side of the HUD in flight.

1 hour ago, hemeac said:

Have you tried it on 1.10.1? I have been using it in 1.9.1 and seems to be working well.

1 hour ago, Fringified said:

CKAN doesn't have it listed as compatible so I've been avoiding it, but I'll give it a go and see what happens. Last time I tried I couldn't see the TWP icon on the right hand side of the HUD in flight.

Just an update, I was able to get it working with 1.10. I manually installed and it worked just fine.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.