[1.12.x] Transfer Window Planner v1.8.0.0 (April 11)

TriggerAu

Hey guys.

I've recompiled the DLL to work in 1.2. I hope that TriggerAu won't mind.

Here are the binaries for those who want to compile yourself https://www.dropbox.com/s/eppsken1913ps25/TransferWindowPlanner-1.5.1.0 for 1.2.zip

And the updated DLL https://www.dropbox.com/s/es1gwsrpavwz9p9/TransferWindowPlanner.dll (rewrite this in GameData/TriggerTech/TransferWindowPlanner)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @TriggerAu For some reason I'm not seeing the OPM planets in my dropdown list. I'm only seeing the stock planets. I know I used to see OPM, but not sure when they quit showing up. Is there anything I can check?

EDIT: I think I figured it out. Kopernicus had updated to 1.2.1, but I was still on KSP 1.2. I think that incompatibility caused the planets to disappear.  After I updated KSP to 1.2.1 the full planet list populates correctly in TWP. 

Edited by tjt

• 1 month later...

@TriggerAu

Would it be much work / possible to move the TWP configs to a subfolder called PluginData sooner or later?
So that, Modulemanager ignores it for the cache invalidation check. This speeds up my loading time in by about 2-5 minutes.
Cause the CFG changes daily cause the update check. But, I think one can disable that. However, I think a PluginData directory wouldn't be wrong, anyway. :)

Edited by Jebs_SY

Hey, TriggerAu... Not sure if anyone has mentioned this to you yet, but the latest version of Transfer Window Planner seems that it might have a timing bug in it: Any time I select a planned transfer maneuver from the graph and click the "Add to KAC" button, the transfer window alarm is indeed added... exactly 4 days behind whatever transfer was displayed. I don't know if it's a problem with KAC adding something too early or with TWP giving an incorrect time on the transfer details info panel, but it's pretty frustrating to not be sure which is correct. I've included a screenshot as an example:gbQNhjK.jpg

EDIT: Just to confirm, I set up a transfer window that specifically specified that the departure was "today" (Y8, D274) using the earliest/latest departure field and when I added said departure, the KAC alarm was already +4 Days late...

Edited by Kardea

37 minutes ago, Kardea said:

Hey, TriggerAu... Not sure if anyone has mentioned this to you yet, but the latest version of Transfer Window Planner seems that it might have a timing bug in it: Any time I select a planned transfer maneuver from the graph and click the "Add to KAC" button, the transfer window alarm is indeed added... exactly 4 days behind whatever transfer was displayed. I don't know if it's a problem with KAC adding something too early or with TWP giving an incorrect time on the transfer details info panel, but it's pretty frustrating to not be sure which is correct. I've included a screenshot as an example:

EDIT: Just to confirm, I set up a transfer window that specifically specified that the departure was "today" (Y8, D274) using the earliest/latest departure field and when I added said departure, the KAC alarm was already +4 Days late...

Check the TWP settings. There is a setting for this.  This is meant to be a buffer time before the event. If you set it to 0 in the settings, the alarm will be spot on.
Also, when you hover / select the KAC alarm, in the details should be the depature time. I think.

8 hours ago, Jebs_SY said:

Check the TWP settings. There is a setting for this.  This is meant to be a buffer time before the event. If you set it to 0 in the settings, the alarm will be spot on.
Also, when you hover / select the KAC alarm, in the details should be the depature time. I think.

Was typing up a post about how this can't be the issue because my "Margin" setting is 24 hours...

Only to realize that a darn Kerbal day is 6 hours. HAH! Might not be the worst idea in the world to indicate that in the UI (to save idiots like me), TriggerAu. :P

• Moved the settings to pluginData to reduce impact on MM users
  • removed minor obsolete stuff

On 11/01/2017 at 11:13 AM, Kardea said:

Was typing up a post about how this can't be the issue because my "Margin" setting is 24 hours...

Only to realize that a darn Kerbal day is 6 hours. HAH! Might not be the worst idea in the world to indicate that in the UI (to save idiots like me), TriggerAu. :P

I thought about it originally, but as its not displayed anywhere else in game I went with the stockalike decision

Plus then people ask questions and interact, or Im just averse to work... will have to ponder that

Hi, first of all - Fantastic mod! I use it a lot.

I'm having a few problems getting the orbit it gives me to match an actual intercept though... I try to type in the value - i.e time of transfer, prograde/normal/radial burns into the waypoint manager but it doesnt give me the desired orbit calculated by the planner. Normally just fiddeling a small bit with the departure time and burns will give me a pretty close orbit but still... Shouldn't it be *perfect*?

What am I missing here :-/

3 hours ago, michaelvf said:

I'm having a few problems getting the orbit it gives me to match an actual intercept though... I try to type in the value - i.e time of transfer, prograde/normal/radial burns into the waypoint manager but it doesnt give me the desired orbit calculated by the planner. Normally just fiddeling a small bit with the departure time and burns will give me a pretty close orbit but still... Shouldn't it be *perfect*?

Consider launching two vessels into a 100km parking orbit roughly 15 minutes apart. If you look at them in map view then at any given time they will be on nearly opposite sides of Kerbin. TWP does a generic calculation for a 100km starting orbit (or whatever other altitude you specify). It can't know which of those two alternatives (or all the many other possible positions around the orbit) your vessel is actually in. Adjusting the time of the manoeuvre will slide that manoeuvre around your actual orbit until the actual ejection angle matches the calculated ejection angle which should then get you close to the calculated transfer orbit. (See this video by TriggerAu for using the built in helpers to set your manoeuvre at the correct eject angle). 

There will still be other small differences between your actual orbit and the baseline parking orbit used to calculate the transfer that will need to be adjusted for - i.e. your Ap and Pe are unlikely to be EXACTLY 100km and your inclination is probably not EXACTLY 0.0°. So TWP's calculated transfer can never be precisely correct but should be close enough to get you where you want to go with only minor tweaking.

3 minutes ago, Aelfhe1m said:

Consider launching two vessels into a 100km parking orbit roughly 15 minutes apart. If you look at them in map view then at any given time they will be on nearly opposite sides of Kerbin. TWP does a generic calculation for a 100km starting orbit (or whatever other altitude you specify). It can't know which of those two alternatives (or all the many other possible positions around the orbit) your vessel is actually in. Adjusting the time of the manoeuvre will slide that manoeuvre around your actual orbit until the actual ejection angle matches the calculated ejection angle which should then get you close to the calculated transfer orbit. (See this video by TriggerAu for using the built in helpers to set your manoeuvre at the correct eject angle). 

There will still be other small differences between your actual orbit and the baseline parking orbit used to calculate the transfer that will need to be adjusted for - i.e. your Ap and Pe are unlikely to be EXACTLY 100km and your inclination is probably not EXACTLY 0.0°. So TWP's calculated transfer can never be precisely correct but should be close enough to get you where you want to go with only minor tweaking.

Thanks! This will make it much easier

6 hours ago, michaelvf said:

There's a really good visual aid to help you get the exact time and orbit position to start the burn.  Assuming you also have Kerbal Alarm Clock installed, in the Transfer Window Planner there's a button to create a KAC alarm.  Create the KAC alarm, then open up the transfer window alarm in KAC.  At the bottom of the alarm info window there is a button to show the transfer angles when you're in map mode.  This will show you EXACTLY where the transfer node should be.  Just align the node with the arrow and you should get perfect transfers.

Note, however, that you need to do this when you're really close to launch time.  Kerbin is orbiting around the sun and that arrow moves around Kerbin as time goes by.  If you set the departure point too far in advance, it will be off a little when it's really time to depart.  I always make sure to adjust the departure time when on the final orbit before departure.  That's usually good enough to get an encounter at the destination without a mid-course correction, at least for the shorter journeys.  

• 3 weeks later...

While this is a great tool for interplanetary travel, the TWP doesn't appear to work very well when transferring between bodies in close proximity-i.e. when transferring between Laythe and Vall it presents me with an NaN outcome whatever the settings (unless Laythe starting orbit is set to 0, which doesn't make any sense, and it works fine when going from Vall to Laythe) and when transferring between Hale and Ovok from OPM it defaults the min/max flight times to zero, producing some pretty exotic results.

21 hours ago, eberkain said:

The mod does not seem to remember its toobar settings, it returns to the stock app launcher every time I restart the game,. 

same here! twp does not create a plugindata directory on its own

after creating \PluginData\settings.cfg everything works fine

On 05/02/2017 at 10:15 PM, eLDude said:

same here! twp does not create a plugindata directory on its own

after creating \PluginData\settings.cfg everything works fine

Ill have a look at this one

On 06/02/2017 at 2:51 PM, The-Doctor said:

@TriggerAu hey is this compatible with kerbol system?

Kerbol system mod

It should be fine as it reads the planet details from the game itself, not a fixed list

On 05/02/2017 at 3:08 AM, voicey99 said:

While this is a great tool for interplanetary travel, the TWP doesn't appear to work very well when transferring between bodies in close proximity-i.e. when transferring between Laythe and Vall it presents me with an NaN outcome whatever the settings (unless Laythe starting orbit is set to 0, which doesn't make any sense, and it works fine when going from Vall to Laythe) and when transferring between Hale and Ovok from OPM it defaults the min/max flight times to zero, producing some pretty exotic results.

I'll look at this one too

@TriggerAu You said you might include a chance to find the transfer window to an asteroid. I play with Galileo's Planet Pack, where asteroids are not so nicely on a near collision course with your planet as in stock, but they are all over the place. It's a lot more work trying to find a good transfer to an asteroid that is further away on an inclined orbit. Having this mod work with asteroids would be a great help.

It would also be nice, if the default starting point for the calculations would be the planet I'm on/close to and the destination would be the target body or asteroid I have. Atleast with Galileo's Planet Pack the starting location is, by default, wrong planet and I need to change it every time manually. Not a big thing to do, but still.

@TriggerAu

Since you planning an update, may be you can also fix this bug:

kWjkykP.png

And also: "All mouse clicks activate all clickable things under the window" bug. As I heard, this bug is caused by using old unity ui handling methods improperly. Like it have an obscure init requirements that modders are unaware/ignore.

I'm not C-dull or Unity programmer, but in other ui systems, old/bad enough to put this burden on programmer, first window that handled the click (top in z-order ?) must mark mouse event as processed.

5 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

Any hope of this actually creating the maneuver node?

You can click COPY DETAILS and then in the mod "Precise Maneuver" paste the values and then you have the node created. But is your orbit is not perfectly 100x100km with 0.00° inclination, some small fine tuning needs to be done.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.