[1.8.x]GN Drive from Mobile Suit Gundam 00

flywlyx

RCS thrusters are something the GN Drive doesn't entirely replace, amusingly enough. GN Drives/Condensers simply cannot provide the precision of RCS unless you limit down the "max overload" very low.

I working on the torque now, it should replace RCS in my plan:sticktongue: RCS is the most inconvenient part from my point of view.

Edited by flywlyx

I working on the torque now, it should replace RCS in my plan:sticktongue: RCS is the most inconvenient stall from my point of view.

I actually liked how the GN Drive does not replace the RCS thrusters in its entirety, it's the one imperfection that actually makes the whole thing look good.

Plus, even the Gundam universe (00 or otherwise) make wide use of RCS. :P

I actually liked how the GN Drive does not replace the RCS thrusters in its entirety, it's the one imperfection that actually makes the whole thing look good.

Plus, even the Gundam universe (00 or otherwise) make wide use of RCS. :P

I just don't like how it shakes:confused:

GN Condenser Frame added, this is the last part in my plan.

Quoting the Add-on Posting Rules for context:

Plugin specific rules

3. Source code

All plugins which are made available on the services maintained by Squad that serve the KSP Community must have their source code be made publicly available. This can be achieved by posting it on a public code repository and linking this repository in every location you offer the plugin for download. Including the source code in the download file itself instead of hosting it on a public code repository also satisfies this requirement.

I just noticed that the source code that you are providing in your latest 0.90 archive may not be up-to-date with recent changes. The copy of GNcap.cs in your latest archive for 0.90 is identical to the copy of GNcap.cs in your previous archives for 0.25, in spite of the changes you made to the GN Condenser (GNcap) part that removed GN particle conversion/generation. The Part CFGs remain largely the same, so I presume this change was made in the source code for the plugin DLL somewhere.

I have also noticed a discrepancy with debug messages. Even through the GN Drive (GNdrive) part does not write any debug log entries with the newest archive, code in GNdrive.cs for writing debug log entries is clearly present and working (not commented out or removed).

Did you mix things up while you were packaging the archive, or did you make these changes somewhere else? I'm pointing this out because I don't want to see you or this mod possibly get into trouble by breaking any rules. :x

Quoting the Add-on Posting Rules for context:

I just noticed that the source code that you are providing in your latest 0.90 archive may not be up-to-date with recent changes. The copy of GNcap.cs in your latest archive for 0.90 is identical to the copy of GNcap.cs in your previous archives for 0.25, in spite of the changes you made to the GN Condenser (GNcap) part that removed GN particle conversion/generation. The Part CFGs remain largely the same, so I presume this change was made in the source code for the plugin DLL somewhere.

I have also noticed a discrepancy with debug messages. Even through the GN Drive (GNdrive) part does not write any debug log entries with the newest archive, code in GNdrive.cs for writing debug log entries is clearly present and working (not commented out or removed).

Did you mix things up while you were packaging the archive, or did you make these changes somewhere else? I'm pointing this out because I don't want to see you or this mod possibly get into trouble by breaking any rules. :x

I checked around and noticed that you are right, I can't stop making this kind of mistakes:(

All good, honest mistakes happen even to the best of us. Please let us know when you have the source code sorted out, I'm sure the forum moderators and others using this mod will appreciate it. :)

They have already been updated.:)

Hmm, if I take this, and the Infernal Robotics mod...

Ye gads! We'll be able to actually make (admittedly really stiff and/or awkward) Gundams! Or for that matter, maybe someone could make the decepticon Starscream. Though if we keep to Gundam stuff, the parts mean we might be able to make something akin to Wing Gundam.

Maybe once you get the parts working, you should just add a couple asthetic parts like the famous golden V most Gundams have and a Gundam head. No matter how kerbal it may be, spray painting a pair of I-beams and tacking them to a lunar pod just doesn't feel good enough.

On a side note, how would one Kerbalify this... Call it a Kerndum?

But yeah, the first thing I did with the mod was just slap a GN drive on a ship along with the Alcubierre Warp Drive (its oversized girth is actually a minor pain to put on a spaceplane but meh), just so I could see what it was like to fly a total sci-fi ship around a solar system.

The result was naturally overpowered of course. If I actually abused solar generators more and had some extra xenon tanks, I could have gone and landed on Eve, then the same to Eeloo, and returned to Kerbin all in under a day. Most of my "waste time" was spent with solar panels out regenerating exotic matter for the warp drive, or letting the planet's gravity just pull me in because I was too lazy to point at the planet after negating my orbital velocity with the GN stuff. Otherwise, the GN drive's overpowered nature basically covers pretty much every weakness of the warp drive.

Honestly? Even aside from maybe trying to make a robot with it eventually, its GOOD to have a nice overpowered, ridiculously expensive part like this sometimes for sandboxing around. Having the GN drive is awesome because I can use it for fun if I want to build a space battleship or some other ridiculous thing when I'm not in the mood to work on realistic ships.

...also, I now ponder. What would happen if I had the GN drive on a catapult (yes, you CAN make one of those with infernal robotics) when you used it? I'll have to test that next time I try to make a catapult. Because catapult. Or rather, because Katapult. I am sure that Kerbals would actually be PLEASED about their space agency using funds to create katapults. Especially if it launched kerbals.

Then again, even the kerbals might be afraid if the katapult was magically hovering in the air. Jebediah was just fine on my overpowered future-ship, but poor bob (or was it bill? The scientist of the main trio) was screaming almost the entire flight... I suspect he doesn't like GN drives OR warp drives very much. Having both on the same ship must have been tantamount to torture for the poor guy.

He gets to be the ammo for my Katapult.

But yeah, the first thing I did with the mod was just slap a GN drive on a ship along with the Alcubierre Warp Drive (its oversized girth is actually a minor pain to put on a spaceplane but meh), just so I could see what it was like to fly a total sci-fi ship around a solar system.

The result was naturally overpowered of course. If I actually abused solar generators more and had some extra xenon tanks, I could have gone and landed on Eve, then the same to Eeloo, and returned to Kerbin all in under a day. Most of my "waste time" was spent with solar panels out regenerating exotic matter for the warp drive, or letting the planet's gravity just pull me in because I was too lazy to point at the planet after negating my orbital velocity with the GN stuff. Otherwise, the GN drive's overpowered nature basically covers pretty much every weakness of the warp drive.

Honestly? Even aside from maybe trying to make a robot with it eventually, its GOOD to have a nice overpowered, ridiculously expensive part like this sometimes for sandboxing around. Having the GN drive is awesome because I can use it for fun if I want to build a space battleship or some other ridiculous thing when I'm not in the mood to work on realistic ships.

...also, I now ponder. What would happen if I had the GN drive on a catapult (yes, you CAN make one of those with infernal robotics) when you used it? I'll have to test that next time I try to make a catapult. Because catapult. Or rather, because Katapult. I am sure that Kerbals would actually be PLEASED about their space agency using funds to create katapults. Especially if it launched kerbals.

Then again, even the kerbals might be afraid if the katapult was magically hovering in the air. Jebediah was just fine on my overpowered future-ship, but poor bob (or was it bill? The scientist of the main trio) was screaming almost the entire flight... I suspect he doesn't like GN drives OR warp drives very much. Having both on the same ship must have been tantamount to torture for the poor guy.

He gets to be the ammo for my Katapult.

"Ridiculously expensive", this is how I balance it in career mode, and I am still considering the possiblity to limit the number of GNdrives to seven:D

GNdrive doesn't provide actual trust, it accelerate all the parts at the same time. So I am not quite understant how your Katapult will work, but I think if you use GNdrive on it, it will launch itself with Kerbal(s) together.

Infernal Robotics can be used to make a catapult with some creative use of staging and struts for tension. Much of the time, its not a very GOOD catapult, and it often results in some amusing failures till you get it right, but its still possible. You can also just use a rotatron to throw stuff with an arm, though that technically isn't in the spirit of a catapult IMO.

I was more wondering what effects firing a catapult would have if it was in anti-grav mode. Or if they would behave differently in orbit. Sufficient over-application of infernal robotics parts has been known to invoke the power of the kraken in unusual ways, so its entirely possible that there could be differences in operation in orbit, much like how kraken drives behave differently when above a certain speed.

Infernal Robotics is generally fun even on its own. I still remember that rollerblading robot I made with it almost a year ago.

Incidentally, I really do need to actually try making a new video sometime. Maybe that will be one of my new year's resolutions. Also incidentally, they should make a rollerblading Gundam. I know Code Geass is also by Sunrise, but knightmares just aren't the same!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello! Love this mod! Gundam 00 is probably my favorite in the franchise so combining that with KSP is pure awesome!

I've been running across a bug however. Whenever I turn off the throttle my GN particle supply goes to zero. This has only been happening with the Condensor and Tau engines. Has this been happening to anyone else?

• 2 weeks later...

Think it would be possible to make it generate a GN Field for atmospheric reentry, since that is now standard in KSP, because I remember that epic scene from episode 2 where all the HRL guys are freaking out seeing them dive into the atmosphere

Is the maximum amount of GN drives going to be configurable? I'd really like to have a customizable limit on each type, to have only a single drive of each type available. Or even only of a single type, to have some sorta challenge if something bad happens to the starship that's using it, and you need to rescue it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.