[0.24.2] TT's Modular MultiWheels 7.2 Update to resolve mass bug + get Roverpilot

TouhouTorpedo

0.7 has a bug in the mass calculation. Get 0.7.1 to resolve the issue from either KerbalStuff OR download the replacement dll only here : http://www./download/1jbyijd7eahalto/Multiwheels7.dll

Okay, so I disagreed pretty strongly with the Spaceport shutdown, and I intended to hold to my plan. But I had a few weekends where I really needed something else to do, and this jumped back out at me. So, why not I thought.

So, yes, I updated MMW and right now it's up on KerbalStuff. Click the image below or the link to get it!

WnbrjbX.png

https://beta.kerbalstuff.com/mod/151/Modular%20MultiWheels

Modular MultiWheels adds in a new rover mechanic with new tweakable wheels and placeable engines with multiple fuel types to power those wheels. The techtree implementation starts with simple heavy truck parts being available right away, leading up to lightweight car size wheels and an advanced omnidirectional 360° wheel controlled via RCS translation keys ideally suited to base construction. The wheels also have dynamic friction and will slide to reduce the probability of rollover when driving at high speeds, unlike stock wheels which will typically see you dead in the same scenario. There are also two new capsules (truck cabs!) to use.

Some pictures: *I'll get better ones later, these are from in development

Tweakables in action. The mass will also change with each button press, so try this with the CoM indicator on!

yv7i4qb.gif

Roverpilot trying to clear a mountain after I left it for a while. Drifting sideways around it at 40 m/s. think you can do this stock without rolling into an explosion? Doubt it! (p.s it will sometimes roll over but it'll take more than just trying to turn at speed to make that happen....)

VfELfcq.png

Omniwheels fitted to a base building machine. They can be raised or lowered using the throttle and locked in place using action groups. the fixes in 7 mean using these for basebuilding is feasible now without the horrible bugs it used to get on docking.

HMBqGSP.png

Changelog 0.6 to 0.7

Rebalanced cost and mass on everything, added science, it's all in PART{} now.

Integrated Roverpilot as it never got many downloads anyway and is only Multiwheels compatible. Updated the code on this as some older legacy code from KSP it used has actually vanished.

Added Tweakability - even parts which are retained from original multiwheels have gained tweakability. All parts ride height can be adjusted Some parts can have driveshaft added Some parts can have steering added

Adding or removing parts will alter the mass of the part. If the part has an engine built in, removing the driveshaft removes that engine.

Added ability for wheels to reference to the current navball. Changing the "control from here" will now make the wheels think that direction is the forward direction.

Fixed bug where after docking omniwheels or car wheels would sometimes get confused. Fixed bug where wheels suddenly apply all torque and snap vehicle in half. Throttle now applies gradually which prevents this.

The transforms are entirely definable in the cfg. This should make it possible if you know the transforms of another wheel mod to actually highjack it and make it Multiwheels compatible yourself.

Added Tweakable Car Wheel

Added Tweakable Truck Wheel

Added Tweakable Landing Gears

Added Halfcab without the big radial nose front. Still can attach radially but doesn't have the dragging on the ground problem.

REMOVED all original car wheels - now represented in above part

REMOVED both steering truck axles as represented in above part

REMOVED all other variants of landing gears, not needed

License:

Please do NOT upload this mod pack in any collections, and do not upload any modification of this mod pack. You are free to upload new texture packs if you credit this mod and myself as the maker, and provide a link to the original upload thread/spaceport upload. Feel free to fiddle with the CFG or try unusual placements, If you have any suggestions or improvements let me know on the forum and I'll see it gets into the next version if I like it. You can make new mods that use this plugin, but please credit me as the plugin creator and do -not- reupload the plugin files, as these will be continually updated.

Source:

http://www./download/cfv4y1g9sct18e1/TTModularWheel+0.7+R1+source.zip

Edited by TouhouTorpedo

Wow. Awesome. :) Downloading, those gears will come in handy. Will you update Mk4 part pack someday? Ideally, it'd use B9-style textures (or at least less stock-ish ones). Oh, and the Mk.3 cockpit with an MM config, please!

Also, any chance of radially attached gear with a tweakable suspension? It'd be really, really great addition, properly setting up the gear is always a problem with planes.

Edited by Guest

WELCOME BACK!!! could we have some pics of the wheels please? Are you going to update the Mk4 parts? I would love to see a new version of your mk4 parts that look more updated and perhaps fit in with the look of spaceplane plus (as its gonna be stock soon) and B9, I'm still using the old version of the mk4 parts.

Added license, source and some pictures to the OP. Gonna start a new game using these and see how I get on. So far tried the truck wheels at the start of career, and it's a great way to pick up science driving around local to KSC and grabbing samples.

If anyone's got any good creations on the go they've made for trying these out, post up, I'd love to see what you're making.

edit: start tech science gathering roadster. Got me a crisp 50 science without leaving the ground and wasn't being that thorough... (i broke a wheel off being stupid)

VFT7z1a.png

Edited by TouhouTorpedo

I'd like to know more about the new rover mechanics. I guess seeing is believing, but knowing whether or not it's a new system or just tweaking the values of the present one would be nice. The present motorized wheels suck quite badly, so it gets my hopes up to hear there hear there are alternatives that might not.

I'd like to know more about the new rover mechanics. I guess seeing is believing, but knowing whether or not it's a new system or just tweaking the values of the present one would be nice. The present motorized wheels suck quite badly, so it gets my hopes up to hear there hear there are alternatives that might not.

It is an entirely new system. I started building the original Multiwheels code (MMW 0.6 if I remember was when I released it) before stock wheels were released. It has no relation to the stock wheel system whatsoever and was made from the ground up. That's why its able to behave so differently.

What it has stock rovers don't

- Wheels need an Engine to work, these engines can be placed anywhere and can use electricity, RCS, or air and liquidfuel to run and come in numerous sizes.

- Wheels have steering or driveshaft applied using tweakables in the VAB/SPH to connect to your engines. Adding these will incur a mass penalty which you can see in the right click more info menu in the parts catalogue.

- Wheels slide and skid, significantly reducing rollover probability. A really unstable design or a massive skid might still see you roll but generally you'll survive journeys and mistakes that stock wheels never could. also makes cool smoke when skidding sufficiently.

- Theres an Omni wheel which is unlike anything else available in KSP right now. It doesn't use engines (not in this version, might do later) and is intended to base building. It drives in whatever direction you press the RCS translation keys. It also raises and lowers the wheels on throttle control, and they are locked in position by action groups. These are made for building bases and servicing in tight spaces.

- Two truck cabs included, fairly lightweight for the crew capacity but have no SAS capability and very little electric charge, no monoprop.

And unlike older versions of my mods this just goes in Gamedata like everything else.

This is really good - tbh, if Squad are looking to overhaul how wheels work, they could do worse that adopt it.

The adjustable height landing gear is pure gold. I'm looking forward to engines getting their own noises. Being able to use the throttle is great - I'm looking forward to trying it with BurnTogether to see if I can control whole convoys of vehicles.

One thing, I've never quite figured out how the truck wheels are supposed to work with a chassis - to get them to fit the truck cab (do I see an IVA placeholder for RPM monitors in it?), you need to use a narrow beam down the centre, along the bottom of a 1.25m tank. The nodes on the top, though, should make creating custom chassis just for them easy enough.

I wonder how all the wheels will perform with TweakScale?

Welcome back TT! Just when I'm looking for some nice rover wheels you pop back up - your timing is impeccable.

Get ready though, cos here's your first bug report. The wheels with toggleable steering arms/drive shafts don't add mass correctly.

Here's an example:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

As you can see, the addtional mass from steering arms and drive shafts are totally out of whack - the extras should've added 0.32t according to the tooltip, instead 12t was added.

This was done on a clean install of KSP 0.24.2, with MechJeb as the only other mod. All wheels with toggleable bits seem to be affected.

Also, a feature request - more wheel sizes e.g. larger Omnis for giant base parts and tiny car wheels for unmanned rover probes. Tweakable size would be awesome.