How many Module Manager version do we need to run?

Lone K.

only one, the latest is 2.3.4; some mods bundle older versions of MM. delete the older MMs

It seems like almost every mod has an archaic version of MM bundled with it, including ones that are so old that they don't even have a version number (Kerbpaint SP+ config, for that one; that's a user hack rather than an "official" mod though, so it's understandable in that case).

Every time I re-do my Gamedata folder I have to play "hunt the MM dll's". Even the high-profile constantly updated mods (e.g. FAR) have old versions of MM. I wonder if it's possible to set up MM so that it hunts down and exterminates old versions of itself?

What I (as an add-on author) prefer to do is to not package MM in my add-ons that need it - instead, I list it as a dependency in the forums/CurseForge page description so that users can go find, install and update the latest versions themselves manually, avoiding all the potential conflicts..

It does slow the loading down a bit especially if the mods you use have lots of .cfg files that need to be applied. There was a bug in a recent version that caused a big slowdown when using regular expressions with wildcarded parts but I think that was only a dev version and, in any case, it certainly didn't take hours.

Can you give us a list of your mods and upload an output_log.txt? Alternatively, post your own thread in the modded support forum where it is likely to receive more attention...

I wonder if it's possible to set up MM so that it hunts down and exterminates old versions of itself?

MM does that automatically. Only the latest version is running to run. Unfortunately I introduced a bug in some version that broke that ( 2.3.1/2 I think ), and some other version have a display problem that mess up the displayed message (but they runs the patch only once).

It's easy to delete the file if there is one than more version since they should all be in the same folder. If you know an addon that does not put MM in GameData then report it to me.

You can also update yourself. I keep the first post up to date with the change of most version.

As for mod that distribute MM dll without the version number they are either so old that you should not run them, or they packager need a kick somewhere.

MM does that automatically. Only the latest version is running to run. Unfortunately I introduced a bug in some version that broke that ( 2.3.1/2 I think ), and some other version have a display problem that mess up the displayed message (but they runs the patch only once).

It's easy to delete the file if there is one than more version since they should all be in the same folder. If you know an addon that does not put MM in GameData then report it to me.

You can also update yourself. I keep the first post up to date with the change of most version.

As for mod that distribute MM dll without the version number they are either so old that you should not run them, or they packager need a kick somewhere.

Kerbpaint. No version number, and stashed in a subfolder. Until I deleted that MM copy, it seemed to be responsible for disabling the advanced control surface setting options provided by FAR.

And don't fret, I'm not actually bothered by any of this. It just seems a bit strange that even cluey folks like Ferram are still bundling old versions with their mods.

As always, thanks for the mods. You guys are a large part of what makes KSP so awesome.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.