Ell's Ultimate HardKore Challenge

Should this challenge include the Realism Overhaul pack?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Should this challenge include the Realism Overhaul pack?

• No... It's hard enough already
    • Yes... but NOT with Real Solar System
    • Yes... and WITH Real Solar System

I discussed this briefly on my livestream the other day, but I've been rounding out the idea, and here it is:

Ell's Ultimate HardKore Challenge

I love realism mods, and making KSP harder, so my challenge is all about succeeding under the hardest of circumstances, (although I think RSS and mods like that might be pushing it a bit too far, feel free to comment if you think they should be added).

The "Must Use" Mods

These mods must be used to add the realism:

• Deadly Reentry
  • FAR (or NEAR)
  • Remote Tech 2
  • TAC Lifesupport (Set so Kerbals do not respawn)
  • Dang It!

The Optional "Allowed" Mods

These mods a are optional, and are the only other mods allowed (except vanilla KSP bundled mods)

• Floor It
  • Environmental Visual Enhancements
  • Astronomers Visual Pack
  • Docking Port Alignment
  • Flag Decals
  • Kerbal Alarm Clock
  • Kerbal Engineer (Redux)
  • Procedural Fairings
  • Other PURELY AESTHTIC mods
    e.g.
    Distant Object Enhancement, not allowed, sorry!
    Texture replacer... fine. Reduxes, fine. etc.

The Challenge

• Use the new full career mode
  • Complete the Tech Tree, starting from scratch
  • Plant a flag on Mun, Minmus and the North pole of Kerbin
  • BONUS OBJECTIVE: Place a flag on Duna and Ike

The Rules

• For EVERY launch (except unmanned launches) you MUST take at least one orange suited Kerbal, OR a Kerbal you have recovered from Orbit as part of a contract. Other white suits are allowed for "fodder".
  • Flags must be placed by an orange suited or recovered Kerbal.
  • If you run out of orange suited or recovered Kerbals, or if you have no funds to launch a craft, GAME OVER.
  • You MUST NOT use Revert to Launch, Revert to Vehicle Assembly Building/Hangar, Quick Save or Quick Load.
  • No hacking the persistence file... obviously.
  • Mods must be used as downloaded. No config editing etc.
  • OPTIONAL: Take a screenshot of each flag you plant and your completed Tech Tree and add it to a Tumblr or other image hosting system and post a link.

The Winners

There is no pointing system for this challenge, however, if you post screenshots/video or other unarguable proof of your completion, your completion DATE will be added to our leaderboards, depending on whether you completed the optional objectives or not. Can you be the quickest to complete EUHkC?

With Optional Objectives

TBC - get your times submitted!

Without Optional Objectives

TBC - get your times submitted!

If any rules are ambiguous, or if you spot an obvious "exploit" that makes the challenge too easy... comment here and we'll consider community approved rule modifications.

Have fun and post your attempts, results, comments etc here.

I will be attempting the challenge on my livestream as soon as my current space program goes bankrupt... which looks like it could be this week :P

Edited by ellbristow
typo

Points? Leaderboard? How does one win?

Personally, I take it as a "completion" challenge - where you just complete the challenge with no way of winning - you just did it. I think I'll do a youtube series on this. But one other question: Can we have distant object enhancement and other packs that only add visuals?

Reserved for first video + channel link

Edited by TJPrime

Personally, I take it as a "completion" challenge - where you just complete the challenge with no way of winning - you just did it. I think I'll do a youtube series on this. But one other question: Can we have distant object enhancement and other packs that only add visuals?

Exactly right... it's not so much about points... it's more about the success.... HOWEVER I am thinking we can have a leaderboard of "Completion Times", so if you provide a screenshot of your completion point (unlocked last tech node, or placed last flag) as well as your other screenshots to prove that this was the point you completed it... you will get added to one of two leaderboards, one with bonus objectives, or one without bonus objectives.

How does that sound? I'll update the OP with these details.

As far as other visual mods are concerned, I'm quite happy for other PURELY AESTHETIC mods to be included in your pack, although with distant objects, that could give you an unfair advantage due to the indication as to when your transfer window is etc.... so with that particular one I would have to say I don't think it would be fair.

Looking forward to the videos :)

It has been suggested that this challenge should be more challenging, by using the Realism Overhaul pack. I don't really liek the idea of Real Solar System, but the other mods in the Overhaul pack are very interesting... what do the rest of those who have looked at this think?

After my Jool5 challenge I was looking for a set of mod more realistic including the need to feed the kerbals in long trips so I just started your challenge ! I am discovering FAR, DRE and RT, no problem with TAC for the moment as the missions are too short :P

Pamynx, trying to reach orbit again.

It has been suggested that this challenge should be more challenging, by using the Realism Overhaul pack. I don't really liek the idea of Real Solar System, but the other mods in the Overhaul pack are very interesting... what do the rest of those who have looked at this think?

I reckon that a lot of difficulty will stem from the breaking of parts on long (or unmanned) missions. That won't be very noticable in LKO and should be very manageable to the mun and minmus, but will definitely be something to plan around for mars trips.

First video rendering/uploading btw!

4th launch about to orbit around the Mun after a landing on Minmus, a fuel tank started leaking...

I am discovering the "hard mode mods" so I made some revert to assembly so this will not count as an entry but it is fun.

I order to make this challenge harder, perhaps you could add some check points with unmanned mission so that "Remote Tech" will become a problem.

It was more :

- Oh the sun is playing on my fuel tank, it took a nice red color !

- That strange, it never happened before... And the tank is still red in the shadow...

- Hey where the f**k is all my fuel !!!

I had luck it happen in the way back from Minmus to Mun, and I have another little tank still fuel that is enough to go back to Kerbin (But perhaps not to the pole as I planned).

So I recovered from my illness and kept on trucking through the solar system. Episode three is up and it's mun time baby! Actually it's a pretty cut and dried munar mission, but it's been a long time since one of those so I enjoyed doing it! And ofcourse there's banter. Enjoy!!

I'm glad some people are starting to see the real challenge here.... the DangIt mod adds some real difficulty! With unmanned missions (which are indeed an option) you run the risk of parts failing and you lose your craft because you have no one to fix it! :)

Loving the series Don... looking forward to other peoples' entries! :)

So Kerbal alarm clock is allowed and can certainly give you transfer window times, but distant object isn't?

Correct. Alarm clock gives you an indication of your transfer window yes... so you don't need the added advantage of distant objects. One person using Distant Objects would have an unfair advantage.

Discovering "Remote Tech" gave me an idea... What about building a space problem with the following rule : You are not allowed to send a Kerbal in space high (ie higher than 250km) without connection with KSP, you will need to deploy a satellite network before going higher.

What do you think of this ?

For this challenge, Remote Tech is not a problem, you can just send manned missions everytime and hope you won't do not miss your landings.

With the network connection problem, you will have to deploy communication satellites, and go repair those before even try to go to Mun or Minmus :)

My Duna mission is currently onsite, they sustained a number of failures en-route, many of which weren't serious at all, but on two occasions a fuel tank ruptured, spilling valuable reaction mass irretrievably into space. Will they make it back? Check it out a few episodes down the line (:P), first here's this minmus mission that happened.

Hmmm... Zombie Jeb on a mission with the promise of a sacrifice if he should die.... very near the mark with the rules... but I'll allow it on this occasion as it didn't lead to an unfair advantage and because it was because of a setting which (granted) I didn't make 100% clear.

Rules updated to clarify that Kerbals must not be allowed to respawn.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.