Ell's Ultimate HardKore Challenge

Should this challenge include the Realism Overhaul pack?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Should this challenge include the Realism Overhaul pack?

• No... It's hard enough already
    • Yes... but NOT with Real Solar System
    • Yes... and WITH Real Solar System

Hey guys, DonLorenzo linked me his videos and I thought I'd drop by and ask around how's it going for you with my mod.

I am badly in need of balancing advice :)

Also I'd like to point out an exploit: right now, DangIt can't cause any failure on unloaded ships, so you can cheat the rules by watching the ship fly from the tracking station and you become basically invulnerable.

Unfortunately KSP's API doesn't allow me to run my code if the ship is unloaded. I have some ideas for a workaround, but don't expect it any time soon.

eW!! the combo of RemoteTech2 AND DangIt! is lethal!!!!!!!!!!!

RemoteTech kinda *demands* unmanned, long-term comms satellites.

Dang-it! kinda guarantees your comms sat will fail!

Sorry to disappoint, but I haven't added antennas failures (yet... muahaha).

Hey Ippo. Thanks for dropping in.

I'm loving Dang It! Good job! Personally I feel like the balance is just about right. personally I'd like to see classes of spares, so that if you have multiple failures of the same types (ie betteries) you could run out of spare battery parts etc... though that's obviously a fair chunk of additional coding.

Re the exploit... that is unfortunate, and is the same issue the Kethane mod had. My personal opinion would be for you to "simulate" the passed time the next time the device is loaded so that any parts that Would have failed do fail "in the background", you just don't get a notification. That stops people wanting to use the exploit as thre is a risk that they won't know something has gone wrong.

If you needany help with ideas/coding etc, let me know. I'm quite new to C# and Kerbal modding, but I've done PLENTY of java modding/plugins for minecraft, and Java and C# are pretty similar... so how hard can it be eh! ;)

EDIT: Somehow, I forgot to mention THE news about the next update. I advise that you don't update to Alpha4, unless you feel like doing some manual save-file editing. The changelog will be pretty big, but the biggest part is the Perks System. Your kerbals will need to be trained and each part will need its own set of perks to be interacted with. If a kerbal is already in flight, say, around Duna, then he will receive a random set of perks that might make him unable to service his ship until he comes back to the KSC to receive some training.

I will detail the perk system in the following days, but again: you should really land all your flights before upgrading, and I realize that it's not practical in the middle of a challenge like this.

--- Original post ---

Personally I feel like the balance is just about right.

Well, I have just pushed a new commit with a completely reworked balance. I hope the next one won't be too forgiving, in any case it's everything in the cfg files so you can tweak it to your tastes :)

If you wanna check it out, you find it here. I took a more scientific approach this time, instead of the "make it up at random" method I used the first time.

personally I'd like to see classes of spares, so that if you have multiple failures of the same types (ie betteries) you could run out of spare battery parts etc... though that's obviously a fair chunk of additional coding.

That was an idea I was considering in the early days. In the end, I was advised against it.

Also, this is not coming in the future because in a few days I'll be aligning this mod with the Community Resource Pack.

This means that there will be only one SpareParts resource shared across all mods that wish to have one: long story short, not only my spare parts will be the same used by MKS, but you will also be able to manufacture more spares on site using MKS :)

So I think that overall the unrealistic model is worth the integration with the rest of the community :)

Re the exploit... that is unfortunate, and is the same issue the Kethane mod had. My personal opinion would be for you to "simulate" the passed time the next time the device is loaded so that any parts that Would have failed do fail "in the background", you just don't get a notification. That stops people wanting to use the exploit as thre is a risk that they won't know something has gone wrong.

If you needany help with ideas/coding etc, let me know. I'm quite new to C# and Kerbal modding, but I've done PLENTY of java modding/plugins for minecraft, and Java and C# are pretty similar... so how hard can it be eh! ;)

Yeah, the problem is that some failures just can't happen in the background and go ignored (leaks, specifically). Also, there is no way I can update the age (and thus the failure rate) of an unloaded part.

I might be able to abuse the general converters made by TAC or MKS, that are resource converters that work offline, to work around it: unfortunately, it's not coming very soon :)

Edited by Ippo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.