Why does brake release take 8 (ish) seconds?

From my understanding of it, KSP handles wheels in a really trashy manner and an occasional result is wheels getting stuck on things. can't explain why the brakes don't release immediately, but I am all too familiar with wheel colliders getting stuck on things in a fashion similar to fly traps.

In short, the landing gear and wheel systems need an overhaul and until then we have to deal with sticky brakes.

To me it works this way:

Pressing B activates brakes temporarily, brakes are on as long as I hold the B key.

Clicking on the brakes symbol right to the altimeter toggles brakes ON and they then stay locked some 5 second after they're released, either clicking on the symbol again, or by pressing and releasing the B key.

I have no idea why is that. I guess it was added as a workaround to some undesired behavior of the toggle some time ago and just stayed there.

It's because Bob and Jeb sometimes forget where the parking brake lever is. Sometimes it's a foot pedal, sometimes a hand brake. And when it's a foot pedal they can never remember if you stomp it to release it or have to fumble under the dash for a brake release lever.

All of the above: no.

If you're using air-breathing engines, the game defaults to keeping the landing gear brakes on until the engines have finished spooling up. It's intended as a feature; it's to maximise effective runway length.

It does occasionally glitch out and fail to release when it should, though.

If you're using air-breathing engines, the game defaults to keeping the landing gear brakes on until the engines have finished spooling up. It's intended as a feature; it's to maximise effective runway length.

It might have been intended as such some time ago but it definitely does not depend on spooling jets. You can have the engine all spooled up and brakes will still take 5 seconds to release. Besides, it does the same for rovers which have no engines at all.

Confirmation it's intentional? (Ie post by a dev saying so?) It always felt more like a bug with me.

My guess is it's related to code that allows slow enough movement to be treated as zero, in order to go to the space centre when your ship is landed. Especially important for watercraft that in theory would never truly stop, but even a craft on land might wobble and take a while to fully settle down.

Happens on craft without air breathing engines...

Happens on craft without air breathing engines...

Yup, I think the braking thing is linked to the landing gear. Looks like they never considered rocket-powered takeoffs when they introduced them.

I ain't saying it's not buggy, I'm just saying there's a reason for it.

Yup, I think the braking thing is linked to the landing gear. Looks like they never considered rocket-powered takeoffs when they introduced them.

I ain't saying it's not buggy, I'm just saying there's a reason for it.

Not related to landing gear, it does the same on rover wheels.

Yes it was probably intentional. But at present it is more annoying than useful.

I've found that raising-and-lowering the gear very quickly is enough to unstick the brakes, at least when using the Small Gear Bay. Not sure how to do it really with the other gear...very annoying issue.

On the rare occasions when it glitches and refuses to release no matter how long you wait, I've found that sometimes just bouncing the nose a bit (engine gimballing is generally enough) can make them disengage.

It's because Bob and Jeb sometimes forget where the parking brake lever is. Sometimes it's a foot pedal, sometimes a hand brake. And when it's a foot pedal they can never remember if you stomp it to release it or have to fumble under the dash for a brake release lever.

And Bill keeps kicking the damn pedal halfway down the runway thinking it's the clutch.

On-topic: yes, I've experienced that too. Sometimes the brakes disengage unevenly, causing a wheel to drag and my whole plane to flip out of control.

Edited by Samniss Arandeen

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.