Component Space Shuttle V 5.0.1 (July 14, 2013)

Cepheus

KCSS_1.jpg

Updated version 5.0.1!

Introduction

[thread=3321]Originally by rocket2guns[/thread], the CSS Shuttle was one of the most beautiful modifications I had ever seen in KSP. However, it was utterly uncontrollable during atmospheric flight. I took on the challenge of fixing it, and that turned into a project with me recreating the entire STS system.

License

CSS is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

All parts within this pack have been modified and released with permission from their original creators.

DOWNLOAD

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/css-50/

CSS is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

In all fairness though, it would be nice to have an update to this pack. I've played around with the part settings, and have it gliding quite nice now. But you have to have the largest RCS trusters you got on the rear of the shuttle. All my work\'s in vain, though, as this could pretty much be rebuilt perfect to scale now....Opening payload bay doors that could capture space junk. Fore and aft RCS. a rear tail airbrake with drag chute. Heck, with automated launch this thing would be epic. Would be brilliant if a plugin could be developed for assent, on -orbit, and decent profile caracteristics. Stronger RCS on decent and fuel dump, etc.

Edited by Cepheus

New in 5.0.1

• .20 compatible
  • ET is 100% functional
  • Flyable
  • Functional RCS system
  • Functional OMS system
  • Functional cargo bay
  • Deployable landing gear
  • Canadarm
  • Fuel cell in crew cabin (will be moved)

Known issues in 5.0.1

• Wheels don't roll, causing the shuttle to break apart on landing.
    -Generous strutting may help, but will look hideous. Approach very gently and slowly. No real fix, unfortunately, other than remodelling the gears. They just act as skids now, and they can be landed on.

• CanadArm wobbles under load.
    -Strut it and use precision controls when operating it under load. This should make the wobble manageable, but won't eliminate it.

• Unbalanced RCS.
    -It's a consequence of the shuttle's shape. The ASAS improvements in 0.21 should mitigate this, but there's no real fix I know of.

• OMS engine thrust is unbalanced, especially when carrying payload.
    -A consequence of the Engine COM compensator limitations. When a fix becomes available, it'll be implemented. ASAS and RCS should be able to keep it in check.

• CanadArm shows as "Buran Arm" in the arm camera screen.
    -A consequence of Romfarer's plugin used to make it work. When a fix becomes available, it'll be implemented.

• Engine COM compensation doesn't work.
    -Put the plugin into the legacy "plugins" folder in the main KSP folder. It wasn't updated for 0.20, but it works there. This may require reworking after the .21 update.

• No proper IVA.
    -There's one in the making by a 3rd party, should be on 6.0 release if there's one.

• No drouge parachute.
    -Landing parachutes don't work in KSP at the time of writing, so it's low priority. Addition of a parachute is a possible feature for 6.0.

• No jettison system for CanadArm.
    -It was planned but ran into issues. Might be fixed for 6.0, but I'm not promising anything.

• Airbrake is non-functional.
    -No known fix at the time of writing, short of remaking the entire tail fin.

• Cargo bay opens too quickly, sides are split into two halves.
    -No known fix.

• There's no radiator on the front bay doors.
    -No known fix.

• The side crew hatch is nonfunctional.
    -No known fix.

• ET and SRBs are not quite to scale
    -Easy config edit. Will be fixed in an update sometime before 6.0.

Some of these may be fixed between v5.0.1 and v6.0.0.

Plans for v6.0 and up

• Most, if not all bugs in v5.0.1 rectified.
  • Functioning IVA.

-This may be partially implemented before 6.0.

-Full features will include an operational Multifunction Electronic Display System (MEDS)

Concept has been demonstrated to some capacity in the

I'm going to try to get into preliminary talks with another mod maker on here about exploring the functionality of a

• Landing drogue implemented.

-

• Better SRB mechanics.

-Yes,
    This is mainly to make the thrust profile for the boosters more realistic regressive thrust profile, closer to
    , than the 0-100-0 neutral thrust profile that solid boosters take by default.

-To put things in a bit more detail, heres some references. Here are charts for SRB-HPM Average Thrust, and RSRM-11B Thrust.

• Internal flight computer.

-If you can see where this is going, you'd know this is another
    Now, I haven't seen anything else like this on the forums, so I'm assuming this is the only one. It's only got a clock rate of 384kHz, but it looks like a pretty powerful piece of code. It seems to be a far gentler autopilot than mechjeb, and it may even be able to take input from an IVA console. And hey, if autopilots are good enough for NASA and Roscosmos, they're good enough for me, too.

• Possibly transparent windows. This is an interesting implementation of that.
  • Look into custom fuel/resource implementation.
  • Explore the possibility of implementing data like these into IVA.

Through a very scientific process, I have determined that 0.75 energy units/second is equivalent to 75 watts. I will be using this metric for power system integration. (PB-NUK = SNAP-27)

Edited by Cepheus

is it just me or is the .zip file corrupted?

i just get errors when trying to unzip it

Is the entire file downloading? It\'s 11.2 MB. If the download is cut short, and the filesize is less than 11.2 MB, it will be corrupt.

no offence but this is why i kinda hate space shuttle,it takes so much stuff just to get it to work.in reality the O Rings have to be sealed properly to make sure fire does not spread to the external fuel tank (like challenger :\'() but in kerbal space program i never knew it would take so much stuff wow

the Mediafire file worked fine here; However there are .DS_Store files from MacOS in every folder, so it needs a good cleanup for the next version :)

Also, using the craft file-built launcher, the uppermost of the 3 engines snaps off on the pad for me. this is probably due to a bug in the config file on the default engine:

crashTolerance = 7

maxTemp = 3600breakingForce = 160000

breakingForce should be on its own line; you could also turn up crash tolerance some, and perhaps add breakingTorque = 160000 too

I didn\'t have either mechjeb or the flightcomp and flew it manually, it works okay that way. Will be cool when the EXT is functional

Balance-wise, ascent is pretty fast, and the glide settings are probably too far in the other direction, but it works for now :)

Nice shuttle, but it could use some reworking. For instance, the fuel tank is a decoupler, which was caused by a limitation when the CSS was made (lack of fuel lines or fuel crosfeed), but now it doesn\'t have to be. Also, the shuttle has no RCS.

Nice shuttle, but it could use some reworking. For instance, the fuel tank is a decoupler, which was caused by a limitation when the CSS was made (lack of fuel lines or fuel crosfeed), but now it doesn\'t have to be. Also, the shuttle has no RCS.

Do you mean to say that the actual shuttle has no RCS or that this shuttle has no RCS? Because the real one definitely does.

I am aware of these. The main objective of v3.0 was the release of an aerodynamically stable STS stack, and a controllable Shuttle Orbiter.

Do you mean to say that the actual shuttle has no RCS or that this shuttle has no RCS? Because the real one definitely does.

Well, of course I mean this model. I hope that the next version will include it, along with a proper fuel tank (and maybe the openable bay doors, this would be awesome, not to mention quite doable).

i think you\'d have to modify the main body of the orbiter to allow for the gear and have it not look dumb. because the way C7 does his landing gear, the box for them sticks out. you could make a pixel thick part holder or whatever it\'s called for the gear and it would blend in with the bottom. or even make it invisible. or something. just a thought.

I\'m encountering a couple of issues with this.

1. I can\'t load the external tank. If it\'s not in the parts folder, the game loads. If it is in the parts folder, it doesn\'t load.

2. It says that the Nose is not available in my version of KSP. I am running 0.14

Can anyone help me?

Well, of course I mean this model. I hope that the next version will include it, along with a proper fuel tank (and maybe the openable bay doors, this would be awesome, not to mention quite doable).

This is on my to do list.

i think you\'d have to modify the main body of the orbiter to allow for the gear and have it not look dumb. because the way C7 does his landing gear, the box for them sticks out. you could make a pixel thick part holder or whatever it\'s called for the gear and it would blend in with the bottom. or even make it invisible. or something. just a thought.

There are three spots on the bottom of the hull where you can clearly see the landing gear in the texture. I think the best way to handle this would be to carve out spots for the gear, and the doors, and have everything sit flush with the hull.

I\'m encountering a couple of issues with this.

1. I can\'t load the external tank. If it\'s not in the parts folder, the game loads. If it is in the parts folder, it doesn\'t load.

2. It says that the Nose is not available in my version of KSP. I am running 0.14

Can anyone help me?

I\'m not sure what the problem with the external tank is. I haven\'t ever had any issues with it.

The nose requires the Anatid Robotics AR202 Ascent Autopilot & Reentry Computer - v2.0 dll.

Problem fixed, apparently it just takes a long time for the external tank to load.

Edit: Encountered a new problem, there\'s no way to put in the Mechjeb as far as I can tell, so I can\'t use the autotake off method.

It said you needed the Mechjeb system. It didn\'t show up for me so I thought I needed to add a Mechjeb component. I can\'t access the mechjeb system because I have the wrong version and can\'t update because the Launcher can\'t connect to the update server. There is most likely nothing wrong with the shuttle.

Is there any way to get the ship to take off without flipping backwards because of the unbalanced weight of the craft? Since the thrust is not in the center and on the external fuel tank, my space ship flips backwards and crashes into the ground at launch no matter what I have enabled (SAS, mechjeb, etc).

Is there any way to get the ship to take off without flipping backwards because of the unbalanced weight of the craft? Since the thrust is not in the center and on the external fuel tank, my space ship flips backwards and crashes into the ground at launch no matter what I have enabled (SAS, mechjeb, etc).

Did you set the thrust to 100%? Thrust from the shuttle is required to offset it\'s weight, and to balance with the thrust coming from the solid boosters.