Component Space Shuttle V 5.0.1 (July 14, 2013)

Cepheus

Well, the thing is, my previous estimate would've been good (it's pretty much all done, except for those gear), if it wasn't for a rather stupid way Rocket modeled those gears. Had the wheels been a separate object, the thing would've been working by now. It's about 80% done, I never expected those last 20% to prove so difficult.

Well, that, and our modeler/Unity guy just went to the Army. That's bad news for the Shuttle. So the post is now open, in case anyone wants to tackle those gear. I suddenly doubt this will be finished at all, with luck like that. Really, CSS is the KSP equivalent of DNF. Just when it seems it can finally get done, everything comes crashing down. Again. That said, there's progress, it's not enough of it.

CSS's has really bad luck doesn't it. Anyway, as a side question, is there anyway i can get the new SAS in the CSS? It can be a pain sometimes to launch it when i need to make maneuver.

Any chance you'd be willing to post the progress as an alpha in the meantime? I'd love to have an improved shuttle to fly around even if if can't land properly.

Is there also a possibility of disabling the gears altogether and we can just add our own gears (B9 et al) in the interim?

What about asking for Volunteers to help you out make it a community project its more likely to get finished, there are some really great modders on here and I have never seen a forum community so happy to help other members out when they are stuck. You could list the parts you need done supply any current source files and stitch the finished product all together. I think this would be the quickest and fastest way to complete it also an alpha release will give you a heads up of what needs to be addressed you will have a plethora of volunteers.

Edited by Virtualgenius

Well, I am asking for volunteers. PM me and I'll send you the source files to play with. Just keep in mind, the Shuttle's a mess. It's up to Cepheus to update OP with that info, but I'm definitely looking for someone experienced in modeling.

Any chance you'd be willing to post the progress as an alpha in the meantime? I'd love to have an improved shuttle to fly around even if if can't land properly.

Is there also a possibility of disabling the gears altogether and we can just add our own gears (B9 et al) in the interim?

There's no Alpha to post. Nothing has really improved since 5.0.1. We focused exclusively on the modelling side of things, and our modeler just quit. We were unable to work the problems out, as I said, the model is old and has some very fundamental flaws.

Well, I am asking for volunteers. PM me and I'll send you the source files to play with. Just keep in mind, the Shuttle's a mess. It's up to Cepheus to update OP with that info, but I'm definitely looking for someone experienced in modeling.

There's no Alpha to post. Nothing has really improved since 5.0.1. We focused exclusively on the modelling side of things, and our modeler just quit. We were unable to work the problems out, as I said, the model is old and has some very fundamental flaws.

I don't understand why you guys just didn't make a whole new model. I mean, i know it takes alot of work, but you probably would have it done by now.

I'm usually not superstitious, but every time I announced progress, we ran into a seemingly impassible hurdle. So I'm cautious now. :) There is progress, but I'm not announcing anything yet. Also, I'm not going to have much time until 10th (I might still work on the Shuttle before it, but know that I'm not really supposed to do it :) ). Now, I'm not saying anything more until I test everything.

"Engage ASAS. Engage SSMEs and wait for the Shuttle to return to vertical position after the "twang". Engage SRBs and liftoff."

one too many acronyms, being a noob I do not understand.

I downloaded the toggle asas, but I can't find where to turn it on. I also have no idea what a SSME is

"Engage ASAS. Engage SSMEs and wait for the Shuttle to return to vertical position after the "twang". Engage SRBs and liftoff."

one too many acronyms, being a noob I do not understand.

I downloaded the toggle asas, but I can't find where to turn it on. I also have no idea what a SSME is

SSME = Space Shuttle Main Engine (otherwise known as Rocketdyne RS-25). Its the three engines at the back of the shuttle that burns hydrogen and oxygen from the orange tank.

twang = Movement made by the shuttle stack after firing the SSMEs and before being released from the launch pad.

SRB = Solid Rocket Booster, the white solid rockets attached to the side of the big orange tank. They are ignited after the SSMEs reach 100% thrust and if everything looks normal, since they cannot be shutdown.

The toggle ASAS is enabled just like the normal ASAS. SSME is Space Shuttle Main Engine (activate by staging) and SRB is Solid Rocket Booster (stage again to activate). That said, you'll probably run into problems using this mod now. The next version will be much better.

The toggle ASAS is enabled just like the normal ASAS. SSME is Space Shuttle Main Engine (activate by staging) and SRB is Solid Rocket Booster (stage again to activate). That said, you'll probably run into problems using this mod now. The next version will be much better.

My shuttle flops over backwards as soon as the game starts, then it doesn't detach from the struts when you press space

Eh, so wait for the next version. I don't know why would that happen, but it doesn't occur in the dev version already. It flies really good on ascent, too.

It doesn't work with FAR yet. I've toned overheating down in the dev version already.

As for progress, there are still things to do. Not to mention I didn't get a response from Cepheus yet. There are slight issues with aerodynamics, and robotic arm is untested with the latest version. Models are still being refined.

If Cepheus doesn't respond before we're done with the models, there will be a public beta. If he does respond, then I'll talk to him about it. The current dev version would already be an improvement over the released one. We might soon have dev pics to show, but working out aerodynamics isn't the most spectacular thing to do. Oh, and check Dtobi's thread. He's contributing a little something as well. :)

Also, I'll have exams in the next week, ending at 22nd. I'm afraid this means work is gonna slow to a crawl (well, it already did. I was doing integrals all day. :) ). After that, there might be a progress update. It also depends Ledenko's schedule, so don't hold your breath.

Hey guys I know that at the moment progress on developing the CSS is a little slow so I've decided to aid dragon1 temporally in making the shuttle a bit more flyable, I've made the shuttles gyroscopes more powerful so hopefully when in space the shuttle is more manoeuvrable, I've also increased the Power on the RCS systems so again its more manoeuvrable. Lastly I've fixed the problem with the landing gear issue, What I've done is use the heavy load B9 wheels so that it can land successfully Heres the link:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BxOkHToP8aQ9U3p5cWh0V2dxcUU&usp=sharing

last but not least the craft file contains b9 RCS thrusters on the nosecone because I heard that apparently the RCS on the front wasn't working if it does work just take the thrusters off in the VAB.

I hope things work out for you guys

if you guys have trouble with the craft file heres a album on how to make it flight worthy.

-Charles

Well, I suppose it's good before 6.0 is ready, but those changes are nothing useful for us, all those issues are either already fixed or in progress of being fixed. :)

Yeah, I'll wait for v6.0. I tried the current version, it actually works pretty well, except for the landing gear of course. What ultimately caused me to uninstall it was, well, I already have a LOT of parts, so I was trying to reduce my memory footprint a little bit, but also was because there was something screwy with the wings. This ship glides TOO well. I was gliding down to a landing and the shuttle just would not stall! I mean, I'm floating along at something like 10 m/s, and as long as I kept the nose up, it would just stay in the air, it was getting quite ridiculous actually. I don't mean that it would gain altitude, but the glide ratio had to have been something like .001 or something.

So, anyway, I hope that's something that's getting looked at, the wings having a more realistic lift value. I kind of like the idea of having to come in really steep and then pulling up and flaring out at the last minute, adds some excitement. :wink:

Later, everyone! :D

Yeah, it was needed for it to be able to land intact with those gear. :) An ugly stopgap, though. I'm working on a new aerodynamic model, which does work pretty well... except that you can't flare right now, the controls are saturated just be keeping it upright. :) The next release will have a working body flap to help with that, though.