Component Space Shuttle V 5.0.1 (July 14, 2013)

Cepheus

Yeah, it was needed for it to be able to land intact with those gear. :) An ugly stopgap, though. I'm working on a new aerodynamic model, which does work pretty well... except that you can't flare right now, the controls are saturated just be keeping it upright. :) The next release will have a working body flap to help with that, though.

Ah, I see. :) Well, I can understand that... I just had an interesting idea. LLL has some skid-type landing legs, but he used a wheel collider module so they actually slide pretty well. I wonder if I could mount those over the empty spaces... It's not that I mind the wheels not turning, it's just that the shuttle stops so fast, lol.

But now that I think of it, the gliding issue isn't all that horrible. Hmm, looks like I'll be reinstalling CSS soon. :)

• 2 weeks later...

If nothing horrible happens between today and sunday, I expect to have a beta out this week, in addon dev. Full release is still quite a bit away, since Ledenko is busy in RL. Still, the beta will be mostly playable.

If nothing horrible happens between today and sunday, I expect to have a beta out this week, in addon dev. Full release is still quite a bit away, since Ledenko is busy in RL. Still, the beta will be mostly playable.

not to be a downer, but i'm betting you're going to have something horrible happen. Judging from the amazing luck this mod gets to run into.

Well, so far so good. :) It's sunday and I've got one "full out" test flight left to do before release. So I'm aiming for this evening. Mind you, it'll be a pretty incomplete release, but probably good enough for ISS operations.

Well, so far so good. :) It's sunday and I've got one "full out" test flight left to do before release. So I'm aiming for this evening. Mind you, it'll be a pretty incomplete release, but probably good enough for ISS operations.

So I may have overheard some possible ECLSS integration? Is this implemented yet and will we get a full change log from v5?

ECLSS won't be in this version. I'm not going to integrate 1.5 and 2.0 isn't out yet. Yeah, the change log will be there. Also note, this is gonna be a beta, as such, you'll find it in addon dev.

Writing the release post now. :) Just remember, not here (it's the release thread), but in a new thread in addon dev.

• 1 month later...

It's impossible to control. I just trurned SAS off and the engine off and it began to flip and spin, and it was impossible to get under control again. Please what do i do. Have i done something wrong!?

Yes, you did. You installed an outdated version. Go here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/71360-Component-Space-Shuttle-dev-thread-IMG-heavy%21 and get the latest one. There's an update coming, but it mostly concerns the cockpit and SRBs. The present version should fly fine, in fact, I just landed one of those on the runway. :) It's not that easy to fly, but really gentle stable in space, even with something attached to the docking port.

Edited by Guest

Yes, you did. You installed an outdated version. Go here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/71360-Component-Space-Shuttle-dev-thread-IMG-heavy%21 and get the latest one. There's an update coming, but it mostly concerns the cockpit and SRBs. The present version should fly fine, in fact, I just landed one of those on the runway. :) It's not that easy to fly, but really gentle stable in space, even with something attached to the docking port.

Ah, haha. I tried playing with this shuttle a few months ago and had a similar experience. Didn't realize this wasn't the current development thread for it. Thanks for the link.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it just me or is this new version hard to fly? the front end is too lightweight and always does flips. and the only fuel you have is with the external tank (which sucks). i miss the old version where it had its own fuel (so you can take off from the runway like a plane) everything else is awesome even the built in landing gear :) if those 2 issues were fixed it would be flawless!

Well, try the thread linked two posts above. 6.0 is pretty stable, get it from the dev thread and have fun. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Dragon, Great to see someone of your talents doing a shuttle. I have had a few issues with the current dev build and was just curious if I should just PM you the bugs I locate. Small or large I will make sure they are repeatable and on a fresh build.

As you know I have a high regard for this modding community, and I have no problems saying what needs to be said. But the first thing I want to throw in, is just a big hug with a frenchie. I love shuttle mods and find my self extremely upset at Bobcats lack of finished work, on what most would consider, in the top ten of greatest additions to KSP. Thanks man, your work is low cost, and incredibly beautiful. keep up the work so we can remove the Buran and replace it with your very detailed craft.

From Oregon(pronounced Ore-Gun) with tons of love.....Dren

Before reporting bugs, wait for the next dev release. It'll include plenty of fixes, a lot of new dependencies (I wasn't able to avoid this) and some new features. Most of annoyances should be gone, at least.

Good to hear. I know this would take serious changes so I don't know if this is out of line to request. One of the features of the Buran that I enjoy so much is the shuttles independent ability to use its main engines for orbital transfer, re-entry exc. With your current build, the engines are set in such a way that this is completely impossible. I know that is the purpose of the secondary engines, but it just doesn't seem to feel right. If its possible it would be great to see it work in the same manner as the buran, or many of the other shuttle Mods that have been released over the years. I know its a bit much to request such a thing, but I think the community would enjoy this over the long run a bit more.

btw: Requesting how to handle bug reports was a bit lame, I know better due to the countless requests on "how do I report bug issues".... :sealed:

Thx for the build though, it is an impressive model. I would REALLY like this to replace the buran as well as many others here.

Cant say it enough, if it wasn't for guys like you, KSP would be removed from my SSD space.

Dren