[1.8.x - 1.12.x] US Probes Pack - Old and New - 8-26-21

raidernick

2 hours ago, mr. engino said:

I do not know if you are planning to add this but, could you please add the Explorer probes?

There are 102 Explorer Missions (https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explorer-Programm). Which Explorers do you mean? Explorer 1-5 are nearly identical and are included in FASA or BDB. Explorer 6 is included in this pack.

I would just like to see more than just Mariner 1/2 of the Mainers also  Osiris-Rex, Rosetta/Philae (Yes I know Rosetta is from the ESA but so was the Huygens lander) and working science experiment to match the full/almost full instrumentation using D-magic orbital science. :mad:

• 4 weeks later...

Is there any info on how these parts' size and weight are scaled compared to real life?
I was comparing some weights with their wikipedia value and am confused, because some parts seem to be heavier (for example Deep Space 1 [wikipedia dry mass: 373 kg, ingame dry mass: 939kg] Voyager 1/2 [wikipedia launch mass: 825kg, in-game dry mass: 962kg] and Explorer 6 [wikipedia launch mass 64kg, in-game mass 95kg]) while there also are lighter parts, for example stardust (in-game dry mass including capsule 177kg, real dry mass about 300kg).

46 minutes ago, Mike` said:

Is there any info on how these parts' size and weight are scaled compared to real life?
I was comparing some weights with their wikipedia value and am confused, because some parts seem to be heavier (for example Deep Space 1 [wikipedia dry mass: 373 kg, ingame dry mass: 939kg] Voyager 1/2 [wikipedia launch mass: 825kg, in-game dry mass: 962kg] and Explorer 6 [wikipedia launch mass 64kg, in-game mass 95kg]) while there also are lighter parts, for example stardust (in-game dry mass including capsule 177kg, real dry mass about 300kg).

Um...

Kerbal distances and weights are adjusted for playability.  Always have been, from the very beginning.
They are not a depiction of "real life", though they balance reasonably well.

If you want real-life weights, gravity, DV, etc, try Realsm Overhaul and the entire related series of  mods developed specifically for that purpose.

8 hours ago, Foozle said:

Um...

Kerbal distances and weights are adjusted for playability.  Always have been, from the very beginning.

Well, as far as i know, stock and stock-alike parts usually use a size scale around 0.64x. Weight is a bit more difficult, but i guess even there at least some mods use a certain scale for some parts.
All i'm asking is - are there any common scales used in this mod, or are all the parts scaled differently?

Btw, this mod is recommended by realism overhaul, that's how i found it.

Edited by Mike`

• 2 months later...

Hey, really nice Probes!

Till now i only used the bigger and modern Probes, with a new carreer in 1.3.1 and RN_US_Probes 0.68 and the dependencies for 1.3.x i tried using pioneer, explorer and the other early probes.

Weirdly, on the launchpad they roll away from what they have been mounted on and fall through the fairing on the ground....they dont want to get to space.

Someone encounter this problem?

• 2 months later...

UPDATE v0.69

Changelog:

• Update gold, silver and black foil texture. These textures now use reflections and specular and should look way better than before
  • Fix Aqua collider

Required Dependencies below:

https://github.com/KSP-RO/USProbesPack/releases/tag/v0.69

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure there is a fix that i dont now about it but i'm using this mod in realism overhaul and all of the probes wont deploy the only probes that work are the ones where only the solar panels deploy, i have reinstalled the mod and it still does not work is there a fix for this.

11 minutes ago, kspplayer100 said:

I'm sure there is a fix that i dont now about it but i'm using this mod in realism overhaul and all of the probes wont deploy the only probes that work are the ones where only the solar panels deploy, i have reinstalled the mod and it still does not work is there a fix for this.

yeah install the dependencies like the directions say to...

Correct me if i'm wrong, but it doesn't seem possible to launch the IUS from a Space Shuttle model. I tried to launch Magellan (one of the 3 inter-planetary probes launched from the shuttle) from a stock Mk 3 cargo bay, and all that happened was the solar panels broke off and then the probe exploded into non-existence. I think the probes might be too big to be launched from a shuttle, but i would like to know if there is any way of getting the probe out without completely destroying it.

6 hours ago, ChickenBot448 said:

Correct me if i'm wrong, but it doesn't seem possible to launch the IUS from a Space Shuttle model. I tried to launch Magellan (one of the 3 inter-planetary probes launched from the shuttle) from a stock Mk 3 cargo bay, and all that happened was the solar panels broke off and then the probe exploded into non-existence. I think the probes might be too big to be launched from a shuttle, but i would like to know if there is any way of getting the probe out without completely destroying it.

They are scaled to work with the css shuttle mods, not the terrible stock parts. I can't help you if you are trying to use those sorry.

Good to see you're still around raidernick! I was wondering if you could modify this mod a tiny bit by at least adding more science experiments to some of the probes; some of them had science experiments in their real life counterparts that are missing in the ones included in this mod.

2 minutes ago, mr. engino said:

Good to see you're still around raidernick! I was wondering if you could modify this mod a tiny bit by at least adding more science experiments to some of the probes; some of them had science experiments in their real life counterparts that are missing in the ones included in this mod.

nope

UPDATE v0.70

Changelog:

• Replace reflection plugin with Textures Unlimited support, this is the new dependency!
  • Split pioneer 1 boosters into pairs to be more realistic
  • Fix huygens decoupler forces
  • Fix Deep Impact probe

Required Dependencies below:

https://github.com/KSP-RO/USProbesPack/releases/tag/v0.70

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I don´t know if this problem has been adressed in the past, but I couldn´t find anything about it.

I´m playing on 1.3.1 and have all dependencies installed. I can pick the probes in VAB and build a rocket, but when I´m on the launchpad I only get a single action group for the probe.

The rest of the rocket is uncontrollable. I only have problems with the US probes. Installed it with ckan and reinstalled it manually. Did not help.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
41 minutes ago, Balrog said:

What is the purpose of the "deploy parachute cords" function on the Huygens probe? I'm at a loss as to what that does - having the Huygens Lander Parachute on top of the lander seems to work just fine.

it allows the chute to look like it's attached to the probe, otherwise it looks like it is floating above the mesh instead of connected

I LOVE the quality of the models! I saw from the first page that several of the models are credited to NASA/JPL. WHERE do you get that data from NASA?

I'm a volunteer NASA/JPL Solar System Ambassador, and (as of last week) a volunteer Ambassador for the OSIRIS-REx asteroid Sample Return mission. I'd LOVE to see a model of OSIRIS-REx in-game, as well as accurate Parker Solar Probe, and InSight mission models. YOU seem like the person to ask about it! :) if you'd prefer to take this conversation off-line, that's fine.

My wife and I are running an after-school astronomy and space science club, where we'll be using KSP to teach about some historic missions - I'll be including the US Probes Pack!

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.