[1.8.x - 1.12.x] US Probes Pack - Old and New - 8-26-21

raidernick

This is the release thread for the US probes pack, for the development thread go HERE

This pack will include pretty much all probes ever launched by NASA and the US military. It is a long term project and I will be adding to it slowly over time.

For all the "geniuses" who can't read and claim I steal all my stuff without attribution, try reading the bottom of any OP for any of my mods. I ALWAYS make an attribution list of the original mesh authors for parts if I use something that wasn't originally mine. I NEVER use something without contacting and asking the original author for permission even if they have an open license that allows usage without asking. I am always transparent about whether or not I made the parts from scratch and have NEVER claimed to have made something 100% myself when I did not. I kindly ask that people stop spreading lies around because they are angry and have a vendetta against me, you know who you are.

Probes Album: http://imgur.com/a/fYxHG

pAh3AoZ.jpgDKcz80d.jpg

wi6wxS4.jpgneTKvls.jpg

Stock Remotetech Support:

-If you use remotetech in STOCK KSP, here is a module manager config to make the probes compatible, if you use Realism Overhaul DO NOT USE THIS: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4pgwigx27ffp6ta/US_Probes_RT.cfg?dl=0

Installation Instructions:

Dependencies include the most updated versions BD Animation, Smokescreen, ModuleManger, Texture Replacer and KSP-AVC for the specific version of KSP listed above.

This mod is also available on CKAN

NOTE: I DO NOT support CKAN installs, if you use ckan at all do not even bother submitting a bug report, I will ignore it. CKAN installs my mods incorrectly frequently, and other mods incorrectly which cause mine to not work(i.e. FAR, RSS, RO). If I continue to get false CKAN bug reports under the ruse of a manual install I'll be forced to change my license to forbid CKAN from listing my mods.

Credits:

Pioneer 10/11 mesh, EOS sats, NEO sats, Galileo orbital module, Magellan, TDRS, Juno SC, LRO, LADEE(parts) - NASA/JPL

Vanguard-1 - rodion_herrera - Used under authorization

Mars Observer - brianj - Some parts traced, most redone from scratch

Reflection Plugin - Starwaster - License: Public Domain

Reflection Plugin Source: https://github.com/raidernick/Reflection-Plugin-Continued

Smokescreen - Sarbian - License: BSD 2-Clause License

B.Dynamics - BahamutoD - License: CC-BY-SA

HotRockets - Nazari1382 - License: CC-BY

Firespitter - Snjo - License: You may reuse code and textures from this mod, as long as you give credit in the download file and on the download post/page. Reuse of models with permission. No reselling. No redistribution of the whole pack without permission. UV map texture guides are included so you can re-skin to your liking.

Texture Replacer - MIT License

Textures Unlimited - Shadowmage - GPL 3.0

Bahasp and rnmodules source: https://github.com/raidernick/BDAnimationModules

LICENSE:

88x31.png

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/us/

This license does not cover mod packs. Putting my work into a mod pack is prohibited.

Using any of my mods names or likenesses, including in derivative works, expansions, addons is prohibited

Edited by raidernick

raidernick: great to see the release! I am *so* using this. :)

What did you think about what I mentioned re: Pioneer 3/4 btw? Every reference I've seen says the probe was covered in gold film, which was *then* painted black-white, so it should be gold-black and gold-white, rather than white and gold. Gunter's page (which I trust a *heck* of a lot more than, say, wikipedia) has a pic showing that.

Also, I really do need to make (or ask someone to make) a new solar panel plugin that supports rings of panels...

What did you think about what I mentioned re: Pioneer 3/4 btw? Every reference I've seen says the probe was covered in gold film, which was *then* painted black-white, so it should be gold-black and gold-white, rather than white and gold. Gunter's page (which I trust a *heck* of a lot more than, say, wikipedia) has a pic showing that.

Gunter's has a museum replica. If you look at the black and white photos I posted in the dev thread the top stripes are clearly white and in between the white stripes it is definitely not black. The bottom is black, for comparision the other color is not dark enough to be black so it has to be bronze/gold.

Gunter's has a museum replica. If you look at the black and white photos I posted in the dev thread the top stripes are clearly white and in between the white stripes it is definitely not black. The bottom is black, for comparision the other color is not dark enough to be black so it has to be bronze/gold.

Oddly enough, I found another shot, which seems to be the other way around from what you made it:

Pioneer-4_NASM2009RK_2.jpg

Figuring out colors in B/W photos can be tricky, it's clear that it's not the layout seen on Gunter's page (it has an overexposed photo), but the configuration seen above seems likely as well.

Also, after reading the technical description, I'm pretty sure Pioneer 1 was blue after all. Black would have caused much more heating than blue, and from the layout of red areas, they seem to be meant for heating. Blue light has much higher energy than red (and black absorbs the entire spectrum), so it only makes sense if the main body is cooler than the red parts. The temperature range the electronics could operate in was surprisingly small, black+red would've likely overheated it.

I made an alternate blue color scheme for pioneer 1 just in case it was blue. I will upload this later.

As for that photo, that is what I used as reference to make the details. I have several shots of that exact scheme. That is the Gunter's probe. So it's clear that their own description is wrong just based on their own pictures. I am going to stick with the black and white photos for the actual color reference.

Also, after reading the technical description, I'm pretty sure Pioneer 1 was blue after all. Black would have caused much more heating than blue, and from the layout of red areas, they seem to be meant for heating. Blue light has much higher energy than red (and black absorbs the entire spectrum), so it only makes sense if the main body is cooler than the red parts. The temperature range the electronics could operate in was surprisingly small, black+red would've likely overheated it.

Every ray of blue does have higher energy by definition (shorter wavelength) as does UV, but when it come to heating from our Sun, red and infrared is the dominant source. The total heat energy from the blue wavelengths is very low in comparison. A blue surface, ie reflective to blue light, is absorbing all that red/IR and will be much hotter than an red surface. Of course if either colour is dark enough you get towards black either way.

Using pigments to selectively absorb heat is tricky. What if they bleach white over time? What it they react/burn into something darker? I'm betting these colour schemes had far less to do with heating than with in-flight observation and potential post-accident recovery.

No, they were explicitly stated to be concerned with heating. Since any other cooling system would be too heavy, they painted an intricate pattern on the probe that would keep the interior at exactly the needed temperature. Bleaching or other color changes were not a problem, since those probes weren't supposed to operate for very long.

It's not voyager. It's pioneer 10 and 11. They are the "test" versions of voyager sent out ahead of time. I will eventually do the actual voyagers though, probably after I finish the earth observing sats. You can check the DEV thread to see which ones I'm currently working on.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.