[1.8.x - 1.12.x] US Probes Pack - Old and New - 8-26-21

raidernick

23 minutes ago, gamerscircle said:

Thank you for the reply - since I am not a modder , is the reflection a visual or a functional  mechanic?  I am curious as I would like to start a new 1.1 career and use the historical contracts and use your mod.  Again, thanks 

It won't prevent any parts from working, but probes that have a mirror finish will be ugly grey smudges without it. They were textured specifically to use with that and not without.

Edited by raidernick

1 hour ago, raidernick said:

It won't prevent any parts from working, but probes that have a mirror finish will be ugly grey smudges without it. They were textured specifically to use with that and not without.

I understand, thank you for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

@raidernickThanks for a fantastic mod!  I've been playing the Historic Missions contracts pack, plus Kerbalism, and I've been focusing on unmanned probes at game start.  (I'd like to play with the Engineering Tech Tree rather than the stock tech tree, as ETT allows more focus on probes early on; awaiting its update to 1.1.2.)

I've had a great time tooling around with all the historical probes you give us.  One of my complaints about the stock tech tree is that you can't get a probe with decent SAS until deep in the tree, but your implementation of the Stardust probe has SAS torque in the 5.0, and that (together with gimballed engines) has me rocking and rolling even with no reaction wheels yet.  The Stardust was my first vessel to escape the atmosphere, an up/down flight that made for a rather exciting re-entry, lol.  But it survived to tell the tale, as the actual probe capsule did.  I took lots of screenshots with the panels retracted and deployed.  Maybe I'll post a couple here.

Anyway, you've given us plenty to keep us busy, but I can't wait to see what you come up with next.  Thanks for your work on this.  People should spread the word about this superb mod.

10 hours ago, jdub3350 said:

Is there a config or something somewhere that distributes the probes better in Community Tech Tree?  As of right now they pretty much all unlock in the first few nodes.  Thanks! 

no but feel free to make a PR to fix it

• 4 weeks later...

On a new install the explorer 1 probe isn't showing up at all. As in, not in game. It's in the mod folder. B4 I go crazy, is there anything preventing explorer from showing up?

Using KSP 1.1.2

RO/RSS + RP-0

Edited by gonzo98x

12 minutes ago, raidernick said:

This mod doesn't have an explorer 1.....that is FASA..... I don't know why I have to keep telling people that....

Your threads always tend to bring in a very special kind of audience. I applaud you for being able to tolerate it.  You really are my hero. :P

Hi, sorry to bother you Nick.  Not sure if this is your issue, or an RP0 issue, but the vanguard 1 and 2 probes (and maybe more) are not bringing up the mechjeb delta-v data in the VAB, whereas the standard guidance units included in their avionics do. 

• 2 weeks later...

@raidernick

Found another issue. 

Using the grab 1, I transmitted science from DMagic's orbital science orbital perturbation sensor.  It defaulted to sending through the grab 1.  After transmitting, it never recorded the experiment as complete or gave science.

However, eventually I tried transmitting twice, to force the communotron I also had attached to send the data, which ended up working.

On 6/20/2016 at 2:21 PM, Maxsimal said:

@raidernick

Found another issue. 

Using the grab 1, I transmitted science from DMagic's orbital science orbital perturbation sensor.  It defaulted to sending through the grab 1.  After transmitting, it never recorded the experiment as complete or gave science.

Same problem here with all the probes unlocked so far

Plus I found another issue. I'm playing with Realism overhaul and RSS. After transmitting the data (and not getting the science + not fulfilling the contract), I went to the Science archive in the R&D center, and the planets that show on the left were the ones from the Kerbol system, with Kerbin, Duna, etc. When looking at the science experiments done on Kerbin, I could see all the experiments I did on Earth, but the ones for which there is no corresponding Biome on Kerbin had 0 science and an empty progress bar. If I reload the save, it is still the Kerbol system. I actually have to restart the game. Then if I directly go the R&D, it is the real solar system. Then I go to my probe, transmit science, go back to R&D and it switched again to the Kerbol system

I might be wrong, but my guess is that the probes from this mod don't deal properly with the biomes added by RSS

Just now, Phineas Freak said:

@yaumeno, this is not caused by the US Probes Pack (why would it be in the first place?...these are just parts!) but from a "complex" interaction between KSP, Kopernicus and RSS.

Well I'm not a modder so I don't know how the parts are encoded. And I noticed the same thing as Maxsimal, that these probes have an issue with the MechJeb delta-v window in the VAB, so I thought maybe this is related

Plus it seems it happens only when I've a probe from this mod, but I need to test that

Actually it doesn't seem to be biome related as I said in my previous post. I have a couple experiments for which I have a report in the R&D archive, but no science and an empty progress bar

There are some known issues that plague some mods and it is even more noticeable when they are used together:

• RemoteTech has problems with transmitting the science if multiple antennae are on - board (data is transmitted correctly but the actual science points are not registered).
  • KSP still has hard - coded references. For the R&D center this means that Kopernicus & the RSS name requirements may not play well with it (as you and many other players have found).

Combine the above two now. Someone will think that because the R&D center does not visually display the bodies correctly (if you don't use RT then the science points are registered every time) then the problem must be with the means that science is collected (from simple science instruments to complete probes - like here). But it is not an issue with the parts (RaiderNick literary just copies the stock science experiments) but with the means of collecting it (RemoteTech). As an example, the YouTuber Tyler Raiz has been hit multiple times from this bug and he does not use any of the US Probes.

The case of MJ cannot be pinpointed just with "words", a log file is necessary (the Module Manager patches might not be applying correctly for some reason and so the probes will not indicate any Δv).

Edit: i just tested every single one of the probes. All of them correctly showed the available Δv (if applicable) and none had any issue bringing up the MJ UI.

Edited by Phineas Freak
Typo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.