Unity Layers and Tags updated 12 June 2018

I'm going to paste this here as I've not seen this info in one place, having grabbed it from various tutorials and posts.

These are just the KSP specific tags , are there any more we should know about??

Unity Layers

Layer 1 TransparentFX

Layer 2 Ignore Raycast

Layer 4 Water

Layer 5 UI

Layer 8 PartsList_Icons

Layer 9 Atmosphere

Layer 10 Scaled Scenery       Notes on lights. If the  lights of your craft  illuminate a planet surface  while you are orbiting. They need to be set to ignore this layer (see this post) thanks to @Nils277 for the discovery (it's bugged a particular project of mine forever)

Layer 11 UI_Culled     UIDialog

Layer 12 UI_Main       UIVectors

Layer 13 UI_Mask

Layer 14 Screens

Layer 15 Local SceneryLayer 16 Kerbals ( used for anything you want visible in IVA views)

Layer 17 Editor_UI   EVA

Layer 18 SkySphere

Layer 19 Disconnected Parts        PhysicalObjects

Layer 20 Internal Space ( used to prevent IVA camera views being blocked by props or hull parts also used when creating internal props)

Layer 21 Part Triggers ( used for hatches and ladders and in conjunction with box colliders " is Trigger " check box)

Layer 22 KerbalInstructors

Layer 23  AeroFXIgnore  (prevents parts from showing aero effects)

Layer 24 MapFX

Layer 25 EzGui_UI    UIAdditional

Layer 26 WheelCollidersIgnore ( used to prevent weird interactions between wheel colliders and node colliders, wheel colliders pass through any collider set to this layer, be warned it also makes things invisible )

Layer 27 wheelColliders ( the layer for wheel colliders )

Layer 28 TerrainColliders

Layer 29: DragRender

Layer 30: SurfaceFX

Layer 31: Vectors

TAGS

Ladder ( used for ladders )

Airlock ( used for hatches/doors )

Icon_Hidden ( used to hide item from editor view, engine shrouds use this )

Icon_Only    ( is useful if you want objects to only appear inside of the thumbnail, like decorative protective intake covers and remove-before-flight tags. Also handy for indicating different sized but similar looking parts ( thanks Ven ) )

NoAttach (prevents surface attach to the collision mesh in Editor. so you can have a part with areas that are not surface attachable while other areas are. set in same way as previous tags)

Drag_Hidden  (Prevents things like turbo fan blades being included or added to drag calculations)

If a layer doesn't exist in the drop down menu, then you have to add it and give it a name.

Objects are visible in game when on layers 0 (Default), 15 (Local Scenery) and 19 (Disconnected Parts), and can also be visible on the camera plane on layers 12 (UI_Main) and 13 (UI_Mask). Only layer 0 displays mach and re-entry effects, so placing an object on layer 15 will disable these effects for that object.

For more Info

New KSP internal camera info retrieved and supplied by @Shadowmage  layer-related info on KSPs various cameras (and some near/far clip data)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9y3r5vr6h85ruj7/cameraData.xlsx?dl=0

Updated info courtesy of @Li0n, thanks

EDIT 12/06/18

It came to pass that we were trying to make something happen, to do so  we wanted to  look for a specific game object or group of object , rather than reading every one.  SO as a test we created a dummy tag and a plugin to recognize if it was loaded in game.  The answer is no.  Unity Tags and layers are baked into the base game, so the list above is the list,  no adding or creating at run time.

https://answers.unity.com/questions/33597/is-it-possible-to-create-a-tag-programmatically.html

https://forum.unity.com/threads/why-am-i-getting-tag-not-defined-on-this-code.395891/

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)
Extra tag and layer info 120618

select the object and use the layer drop down to change. will give you popup confirming the change to just the selected object or selected object and all it's children.

All IVA props must be on Internal Space layer 20 as well.

Edited by nli2work

layers and tags are per project. you could create a base project with the proper basic setup with layers and tages, then copy/paste/rename it each time you want a new KSP project. I don't think Unity has provisions for default startup projects like Max does.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

It's an odd little tag, but 'Icon_Only' is useful if you want objects to only appear inside of the thumbnail, like decorative protective intake covers and remove-before-flight tags.

• 1 month later...

Updated Op with this new info, cheers gents

On 02/01/2016 at 3:35 AM, Ven said:

It's an odd little tag, but 'Icon_Only' is useful if you want objects to only appear inside of the thumbnail, like decorative protective intake covers and remove-before-flight tags.

On 01/01/2016 at 4:30 PM, GagaX said:

Icon Hidden tag MUST have underscore, otherwise part will not  load.

So, it's:

Icon_Hidden

Thanks @NathanKell!:D

29 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

That's awesome. Now I'm tempted to add some visual aids to make similar-looking parts more distinct in the menus. Cool.

That's exactly the thing I was wondering about doing, it works okay! Not perfect but so much easier to see at a glance what something might be. Here's a quick change I made to my three heat shields that otherwise look identical:

X0tmstJ.jpg

Edited by hoojiwana

1 hour ago, hoojiwana said:

Thanks @NathanKell!:D

That's exactly the thing I was wondering about doing, it works okay! Not perfect but so much easier to see at a glance what something might be. Here's a quick change I made to my three heat shields that otherwise look identical:

X0tmstJ.jpg

Yeah, that's what came to mind for me in this discussion as well... some size-factor numbers etc. Very cool!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

From the 1.1.3 changelog:

• Added AeroFXIgnore layer so some parts (Gigantor e.g.) can have parts of their model ignored by AeroFX. Fixes an issue with odd Aero FX streamers.

Layer 23 is AeroFXIgnore

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.