Ford Mykey spped limit dumbest idea ever made

Pawelk198604

I love plane but i'm interested in cars to, even haven't driver license.

Out of curiosity, I started to read how much a new car, even though I know I can not afford even a used car :(

My brother once bought a slightly used Ford, and is very happy with this purchase.

Recently I read that recently there were several accidents involving Fords.

Caused MyKey technology, and more specifically its component in limiting the maximum speed, this technology was intended primarily for parents and employers to share their vehicles with your children or employees.

Unfortunately, the reduction in speed can sometimes be deadly (quite literally) the consequences, such as limiter comes on when overtaking.

I have heard that our Polish Ministry of Transport wanted to refuse approval Ford that uses, MyKey technology, because it can cause danger on the road while overtaking, but eventually agreed, reportedly they got the money from lobbyists Ford corporation:-)

Depend a bit on how its done, if they car start to reduce effect then you getting up to the limit would feel natural, like the engine is unable to push the car faster.

However my car who have manual gearbox has an system who protect you from running the engine on too high RPM (7000) and it pretty much kill effect if you pass it.

Dealing with maximum speed the same way by cutting effect would be dangerous, you natural response would be to floor the pedal and making things worse, you would loosing speed then you expect it to increase.

Purpose of this system would be to prevent speeding not ensure that the car never pass an maximum speed.

You shouldn't be breaking the speed limit to overtake, it's there for a reason. If people weren't such muppets in the first place there'd be no need for this technology.

Yes you right, but i think car need overrode button, than can overide car nanny for short time, like abort handle in apollo capsule.

But i think each use should be put in logbook by onboard computer, that car owner can see latter on, so they speeding kids or employees can have hard time dealing with their annoyed parents/employers :D

Not a new idea, either; the Mazda RX-8 had a similar trick, as did a few Japanese sportsbikes (Honda NSR250, Suzuki RGV250...all the little two-stroke GP replicas). Two keys; one for "daily driver" mode, one for "sports" mode.

With the car, the intention was for it to be used when you needed to loan your flashy sportscar to your daft teenage sons.

With the bikes, it was a result of restrictive Japanese power-to-weight laws on small sportsbikes. To make the bikes street legal, you had to reduce the power; the "fast" key was officially for use on racetracks only. The headlight was hard-wired on in "street" mode, hard-wired off in "race" mode. Of course, pretty much every owner hacked the system to get full power with the lights on within days of getting the bike.

The low-tech version of this has been around for decades; in Australia, learner riders used to be restricted to 250cc or less, so it was a standard tactic to do things like graft an RD350LC head onto an RD250LC base. Hefty power boost, but the coppers can't tell unless they tear the engine apart.

I love plane but i'm interested in cars to, even haven't driver license.

Out of curiosity, I started to read how much a new car, even though I know I can not afford even a used car :(

My brother once bought a slightly used Ford, and is very happy with this purchase.

Recently I read that recently there were several accidents involving Fords.

Caused MyKey technology, and more specifically its component in limiting the maximum speed, this technology was intended primarily for parents and employers to share their vehicles with your children or employees.

Unfortunately, the reduction in speed can sometimes be deadly (quite literally) the consequences, such as limiter comes on when overtaking.

I have heard that our Polish Ministry of Transport wanted to refuse approval Ford that uses, MyKey technology, because it can cause danger on the road while overtaking, but eventually agreed, reportedly they got the money from lobbyists Ford corporation:-)

Not all fords have the MyKey tech. Honestly, never seen it outside of a few gimmicky cars. If you are interested in buying a used car, I can almost guarantee that they will not come with mykey, especially if you are talking about a 3 or 4 year old car.

Speed limiters should be the last thing on your mind as they can be easily removed or adjusted. Bigger dilemmas such as which turbo to buy, it which fuel controller or pistons to buy. These are far more important than some gimmicky speed limiter

My parents used to have a car with a limiter, but the speed limit was set at 180 km/h, so not typically really a concern. I think the limit was there because by the time you hit that speed, you're really pushing the handling of most vehicles (this one included) to the limit, and driving in anything but a strait line is really taking your life into your own hands for most people at that speed. If you were to try to drive really fast, you'd probably find that many cars do have speed governors, they're just set at speeds no sane person who isn't trying to figure out if they have a governor would drive at. Once you get into the spots cars, those probably disappear altogether, but these cars are also made to be able to do 200 km/h without flying off the road.

Or maybe they stopped putting in the speed governors. I don't really know.

Speed limiters should be the last thing on your mind as they can be easily removed or adjusted. Bigger dilemmas such as which turbo to buy, it which fuel controller or pistons to buy. These are far more important than some gimmicky speed limiter

This. +rep to you, good sir.

Fcuking electronic limiters are $h!t for the fcuking birds. I'd rather have people know how to drive fast safely than be slowed down arbitrarily. And get out of the left lane ffs.

Fcuking electronic limiters are $h!t for the fcuking birds. I'd rather have people know how to drive fast safely than be slowed down arbitrarily. And get out of the left lane ffs.

Meh. Make it compulsory to hold a motorcycle licence for a few years before they let you drive a car. Let Darwin take care of the careless.

But these limiters can be turned off, even as the manufacturer does not offer such a possibility, you only need to find a good mechanic and hacker who know his job:D

But these limiters can be turned off, even as the manufacturer does not offer such a possibility, you only need to find a good mechanic and hacker who know his job:D

Any tuner worth his salt, or chip programmer of any use, can bin the damn limiters.

Meh. Make it compulsory to hold a motorcycle licence for a few years before they let you drive a car. Let Darwin take care of the careless.

YES. I've had that idea for quite awhile. Finally someone agrees with me. Either motorcycles for a certain mileage or stick shift only for four years.

Any tuner worth his salt, or chip programmer of any use, can bin the damn limiters.

YES. I've had that idea for quite awhile. Finally someone agrees with me. Either motorcycles for a certain mileage or stick shift only for four years.

I just wonder does in America did you must posses driver license for bike? (it's not issue for me because i do not know even how to drive damn bike:-)

In Poland you must have have so called A driving "for motor bike" category B is for regular car, C and E is for 18 wheeler and D is for bus.

I just wonder does in America did you must posses driver license for bike? (it's not issue for me because i do not know even how to drive damn bike:-)

In Poland you must have have so called A driving "for motor bike" category B is for regular car, C and E is for 18 wheeler and D is for bus.

It varies from state to state, but here in Kansas it's pretty much the same process as getting a car license, just riding instead of driving.

You go to the Department of Motor Vehicles (Insert "bad customer service" joke here), take a written test, and gain your "Learner's Permit" which allows you heavily restricted riding/driving priveliges. Then:

A.) You drive/ride a certain length of time that you write down in a logbook. If you're a driver, you must have a licensed adult riding shotgun to observe and guide. If it's a bike, the licensed adult either rides tandem or on another bike in close proximity. Or,

B.) Take and pass an accredited drivers' ed/motorcycle riding course.

Option B puts you on a "Restricted License" for a year where you can only drive/ride between or in connection with school, work and home. After this year, or if you took Option A, you're fully licensed. I don't know what the current minimum ages are anymore. They raised 'em awhile back. But I was 14 when I got my permit and 16 when I got my Big Cheese.

Also, you can have a combined license for both cars and bikes. Another footnote and, personally, a pet peeve of mine: The same license you got in a Nissan Micra or a Smart Fortwo lets you legally drive any RV or truck or any other vehicle less than 26 (U.S.) tons. Or any number of fast and loud sports cars. Or even tow trailers, again with the 26-ton cap. As for bikes, the same license you got on a scooter legally allows you road use of 1000cc monstrosities such as a 'Busa or R1.

You shouldn't be breaking the speed limit to overtake, it's there for a reason.

I mostly drive like an old woman, but even I wouldn't go that far. If someone is tootling along slow enough to be annoying, but fast enough that you need to break the speed limit to overtake in a safe distance and time then you should break the limit then slow back down when you've completed the manoeuvre.

You shouldn't be breaking the speed limit to overtake, it's there for a reason.

It is there for a reason. However, that reason is not applicable in all cases and sometimes other reasons have precedence. This is, pretty much, the difference between following the letter of the law or the spirit. The former is needed for clarity, the latter is needed for sanity.

It is there for a reason. However, that reason is not applicable in all cases and sometimes other reasons have precedence. This is, pretty much, the difference between following the letter of the law or the spirit. The former is needed for clarity, the latter is needed for sanity.

So such speed limiter should have safety override to allow you to temporary disable it for short time,

Okay, those are fair enough points, but I'd contend that the majority of speeding isn't people who need the extra power for a few seconds to overtake safely, it's people who think their journey is so important, and their driving skills so impeccable, that the law shouldn't apply to them.

The perfect example is "let Darwin sort out the careless". It's not just the speeder who gets killed. A large proportion of the people killed aren't even in cars.

And even if somebody is right, and they are a fantastic driver who can keep control of their car with no extra risk at 20% over the speed limit, they still have to take into account the actions of other road users. That video that came out recently of the motorcyclist hitting the oncoming car? Of course the car was in the wrong for turning across traffic without looking, but if the motorcyclist hadn't been doing 96 in a 60 zone, they would have been far better placed to avoid an accident.

with no extra risk

The example you give was obviously with a significant amount of extra risk :) Speed limits are not just for vehicles getting out of control, they are (I would say mostly) meant to give everyone more time to react. Additionally they reduce the energies involved when things do go wrong.

I feel speed limiters are a horrible way of enforcing driver safety. People that do not understand the importance of adhering to speed limits will find other risky modes or behaviour to endanger their lives and that of others. They should be educated or removed, but just limiting them in one way is not going to solve a lot of problems.

As a former pilot I have always felt that people are disproportionally irresponsible when it comes to driving. They just do not seem to take it and the associated dangers seriously. Every time you get behind the wheel you need to ask yourself whether you are capable of operating heavy equipment safely. If the answer is no, you should not drive. Yet angry, tired, distracted or drunk people are driving around everywhere. It always struck me as odd that pilots are much more acutely aware of their own skills and limitations, even when the potential danger is much smaller when flying small aircraft. To kill someone (besides yourself) is a lot harder when you are flying. The same goes for licences - in flying you constantly need to prove you are still worthy of operating an aircraft. A driver's license, on the other hand, is typically something you obtain once and keep for the rest of your life as long as you do not do anything really stupid. No updates, checks, physicals, nothing.

Even taking the legal speed limit into account, preventing a car from going higher just isn't a good idea. There are circumstances where speeding is necessary for safety. Just imagine driving along a mountain pass in a 25mph zone, all of a sudden you see a landslide coming at you. What's your bigger concern at that point? Getting a ticket, or getting buried?

Okay, those are fair enough points, but I'd contend that the majority of speeding isn't people who need the extra power for a few seconds to overtake safely, it's people who think their journey is so important, and their driving skills so impeccable, that the law shouldn't apply to them.

Completely agree with this. Generally speaking, you've got no need or right to cruise above the speed limit. If you do get caught doing so, just take your lumps. I've got absolutely zero sympathy for people who rail against speed cameras.

I noticed a couple of times that when you treat people like monkeys, they are going to act like them. The more you fence something off without telling them how and why, the more idiotic they will behave. Like I stated before, educating or removing them is the only real solution. Just hampering them without making (even more) clear why is only going to cause more erratic driving.

My 0.02 roots worth:

Speed limiters (that have high cutoff speeds, over 100mph) are generally to keep the vehicle from exceeding the speed rating of the tires. The faster you go, the the more heat the tire generates. Too hot under driving stress and the tire will have a RUD.

I remember when the Al-block, 32-valve LT-5 Corvette motor came out. The secondary intake runner had a valve to restrict the airflow at low engine speeds, for better low-RPM performance, and opened at high RPMs to unleash all available horses. The valet mode (key-lock switch) would lock that secondary valve closed to restrict the power.

Completely agree with this. Generally speaking, you've got no need or right to cruise above the speed limit. If you do get caught doing so, just take your lumps. I've got absolutely zero sympathy for people who rail against speed cameras.

Agreed, but for probably somewhat different reasons.

I've been riding motorcycles daily for twenty years, and I habitually travel about 20% above the legal limit (when I judge it safe to do so; at other times, I'll be travelling substantially below the limit). I ride according to the conditions, not the regulations. I haven't paid a speeding fine or any other traffic violation in that time. Haven't broken a bone or shed a drop of blood, either.

The cops and cameras aren't hard to spot; if you can't see them in time, you're not paying sufficient attention for the speed you're doing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.