Kethane Plant (grow kethane in space)

grimmer87

Hi everyone,

I made this to make a fuel production station, it is the greenhouse part from Roboto's BioMass mod that I have taken and edited the part config.

Basically it turns light into Kethane, so open the doors and point it at the sun to start producing kethane. you can turn on the lights but this costs ElectricCharge.

the Kethane Mod is required for this to work and also to do anything useful with the kethane.

Try it and please let me know what you think.

Grimmer87

UPDATE: changed trim colour from blue to green, fixed clipping problem(I think)

UPDATE: no longer has anything to do with kethane mod, converts to ore for use with stock ksp. Works with 1.02 and produces (I think) while the craft is not active.

Download: https://www.kerbalstuff.com/mod/162/Kethane%20Plant

This work is released under a CCPL license

Edited by grimmer87
Updated

grimmer87, as per the official Add-on posting Rules, could you please specify a license for your add-on?

General Add-on posting rules

1. Licenses

All add-ons that are posted on the services maintained by Squad that serve the KSP Community (such as this forum and Curse) must be accompanied by a license that regulates what other users can do with the copyrighted material. This license must be made available in both the download file and in the location the user downloads from (such as a forum post or a Curse listing).

Further information can be found in the License Selection Guide.

As per the official rules: this adding has a wtfpl license.

So do what you want ;)

I've edited this information to your first post - in the future, please remember to do this yourself.

Also, you need to specify this licence in the README of your download itself.

The mass is simple with the huge technological advancements that have been made, The module absorbs the energy from the sun does a bit of jiggery pokery, pulls a few strings and turns all that energy into mass. Of course the less informed would call it witchcraft.

No, Ignoring them ;) It's one thing to lose mass (stuff can get vented into space) but you can't create mass. You cam move the bits all over the place in interesting ways, but not make new bits from scratch.

If OP wants it to be like that and is ok with not realistic working, what's the problem? Like if there isn't a lot of wizardry in all the stuff around here :)

If OP wants it to be like that and is ok with not realistic working, what's the problem? Like if there isn't a lot of wizardry in all the stuff around here :)

Fair enough - assumed OP was interested in feedback on his mod, as with all things he's free to take it or leave it.

Not really, whatever gas Kerbals breathe, and the respective version of water may contain the needed atoms to make Kethane.

... let us assume for a second that Kerbals exhale pure, refined Kethane (to take it to an extreme). They are still breathing something in. So once you're outside of atmosphere you have no mass to breath in, hence you'd see some other mass go down as the exhaled Kethane was collected. So yes, there's a conservation of mass issue because you have no input into the cycle other than light.

But as noted, OP's mod :) He/she is free to do as they wish, merely providing feedback.

Wow I just checked and I've got 7,000 downloads. Apparently breaking the laws of physics is not the end of the world after all...

Nobody said your mod was in any way bad, just offered some feedback. If you don't want feedback on your mod, that is fine too. No need to be s smartass about it eh?

Im going to say this and then everyone will poke holes in it. Plus im not going to do the math to see if it will balance out.

Lets say Kethane is a analog for Ammonium Nitrite NH4NO2, how ever the converters break it down, contains the component need to make Hydrazine (N2H4) as a Monoprop , LH2 for fuel an LO2 for an oxidizer.

Kerbal might have the same respiratory setup humans have, inhaling Oxygen exhaling CO2.

The Soil the plant is in might contain Nitrogen and have a water recycler to water the plant and recycle the transpiration from the plant.

The exhaled carbon can be used to create simple sugars along with the Hydrogen in the water to sustain the plant and instead release Kethane, in this case Ammonium Nitrite, as a byproduct.

Now this is still all complete non-sense but someone had to support it.

Im going to say this and then everyone will poke holes in it. Plus im not going to do the math to see if it will balance out.

Lets say Kethane is a analog for Ammonium Nitrite NH4NO2, how ever the converters break it down, contains the component need to make Hydrazine (N2H4) as a Monoprop , LH2 for fuel an LO2 for an oxidizer.

Kerbal might have the same respiratory setup humans have, inhaling Oxygen exhaling CO2.

The Soil the plant is in might contain Nitrogen and have a water recycler to water the plant and recycle the transpiration from the plant.

The exhaled carbon can be used to create simple sugars along with the Hydrogen in the water to sustain the plant and instead release Kethane, in this case Ammonium Nitrite, as a byproduct.

Now this is still all complete non-sense but someone had to support it.

Nobody was debating the chemistry (khemistry?), the point raised was simply that as feedback, there's a hole regarding conservation of mass. So if I have a five ton ship, and create, through pure light, another 60 tons of Kethane for a vessel that weighs a net of 65 tons, where did that come from? The OP has made it apparent that this is not a concern of this mod, which is totally cool, merely providing this as there seems to be some confusion on the nature of the feedback provided (Khemistry vs conservation of mass).

Nobody was debating the chemistry (khemistry?), the point raised was simply that as feedback, there's a hole regarding conservation of mass. So if I have a five ton ship, and create, through pure light, another 60 tons of Kethane for a vessel that weighs a net of 65 tons, where did that come from? The OP has made it apparent that this is not a concern of this mod, which is totally cool, merely providing this as there seems to be some confusion on the nature of the feedback provided (Khemistry vs conservation of mass).

I agree but i'm not talking in the debate of the mass. there is no way unless it is able to convert that light energy into matter of that mass. I was just saying that because I was bored and looked it up to see what kethane would be as a analog of to convert it into fuel oxidizer and monoprop.

I'm not saying aliens did it....but it was aliens.

Perhaps another part that "collects" micrometeorites or something? Space dust? Kittens?

personally, this is a cool mod...shame it has problems with the real world, you know, being a game and all :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.