KerbalX.com - Craft & Mission Sharing

katateochi

21 minutes ago, Thorman said:

Ok so I have the link to the download and yes I did let chrome download by itself but it said some kind of error and immediately stopped downloading... I believe the error was something along the lines of file could not be found... So I clicked more information and chrome sent me to a link that said most likely the file is not available anymore!

heres the link to the craft I'm trying to download

https://kerbalx.com/The_ShadowZone/Duna-Derwisch---Rover-dropship-and-base-delivery

It's definitely still there and downloadable, I just checked.
So if you click on that link you posted I take it you end up on the page for the craft? But then you get an error when you click the download link at the top?
Can you post a screenshot of the error that you get, might help me figure out what's going on.  oh, and also try clearing your browser cache (ctrl+shift+del on chrome), but I don't think that's likely to be the issue.

44 minutes ago, katateochi said:

So if you click on that link you posted I take it you end up on the page for the craft? But then you get an error when you click the download link at the top?
Can you post a screenshot of the error that you get, might help me figure out what's going on.  oh, and also try clearing your browser cache (ctrl+shift+del on chrome), but I don't think that's likely to be the issue.

It was my download manager I disabled it and it downloaded it easily! Thanks for your help

2 hours ago, katateochi said:

Just a quick mention that that link works in Firefox 44: it brings up the page for the craft. I don't think it's intended to automatically download though, is it (not ending in .craft)? In any case, clicking the Download on the page downloaded the craft without issue.

38 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

Just a quick mention that that link works in Firefox 44: it brings up the page for the craft. I don't think it's intended to automatically download though, is it (not ending in .craft)? In any case, clicking the Download on the page downloaded the craft without issue.

Thanks for checking that for me. And yeah that link shouldn't result in a download.  The way .craft links work has now changed (sadly, 'cos it made for some really elegant routing code before!).

In the last month the site has really come under fire from bots, doing the strangest and totally futile things. like there is something that periodically (like every half hour, with the occasional longer break) makes a request to https://KerbalX.com/images/v and https://KerbalX.com/images/ion, which KX interprests as asking for a craft called 'v' or 'ion' from a user called 'images' and as they don't exist it gets a 404, but still it just keeps on making that request.  It might be that my 404 page tries to be helpful and runs a search based on the unrecognised url, so maybe the thing thinks it's getting something.  I've now added a more blunt 404 for a bunch of specific probe requests like that and squelched them from being logged cos it was just creating lots of apparent errors (and those 404 routes have a 2 in 10 chance of being redirected to the rick roll video..... I have to be so formal and boring in my work, so with KX I can be quirky and finally I have a site that under a certain rare situations will respond with a 418 - I'm a teapot! )

2 hours ago, Thorman said:

It was my download manager I disabled it and it downloaded it easily! Thanks for your help

No worries! Sorry about blocking download managers, unintended consequence of trying to fend of these darn bots (or whatever they are).  I've got an idea about how I could enable a DM to still work for a user who was logged in, but I need to test a few things out and I've got quite a lot on atm so it won't happen soon, but it's on my list of things to address. 

Couple minor bug fixes and I've added pagination to the hangars index (https://KerbalX.com/hangars) and changed the auto scrolling images to only scroll when you mouse over a hangar.  With so many craft in so many hangars having the image autoscrolling was rather CPU intensive (for the client) and was resulting in tons of image requests on the server.  I've actually got an idea of how to completely change the hangars index page, but this weekend I've got to catch up on some more boring chores (for the site? also yes) that I've been putting off.

@katateochi Look...  I'v found something interesting... There are Chineses using KerbalX... :P
Made in Brazil: https://kerbalx.com/luizopiloto/X-30%20Dream%20Chaser
Made in China: https://kerbalx.com/najinkya/X-30-Dream-Chaser

no need to delete the craft or anything... It's a surprise someone re-posted one of my crafts... and only now I have found it... :P

55 minutes ago, luizopiloto said:

@katateochi Look...  I'v found something interesting... There are Chineses using KerbalX... :P
Made in Brazil: https://kerbalx.com/luizopiloto/X-30%20Dream%20Chaser
Made in China: https://kerbalx.com/najinkya/X-30-Dream-Chaser

no need to delete the craft or anything... It's a surprise someone re-posted one of my crafts... and only now I have found it... :P

The craft file is identical! so yeah, clearly a ripoff.  I've sent the uploader an email asking them to remove it and not to do it again or they'll be locked (or at least their account will be).
It's odd, they put a link to their G+ account and on there is a vid, which is just an orange screen saying download the file with some music playing. weird to go that effort.  
Sorry about that! If you want me to delete it I shall, if after a week I've not heard back from the person who uploaded it. 

I have considered putting a restriction to uploading craft which are identical to another user's, but it would be so easy to get around, just re-saving the craft in KSP changes all the part ids, so I didn't think it was worth it.  But maybe I will, as this is the second case of space piracy on KerbalX! I might look into doing something where I strip out all the unique ids, then make a checksum of the file and compare against that, but that's still very easy to get around.

2 hours ago, katateochi said:

I have considered putting a restriction to uploading craft which are identical to another user's, but it would be so easy to get around, just re-saving the craft in KSP changes all the part ids, so I didn't think it was worth it.  But maybe I will, as this is the second case of space piracy on KerbalX! I might look into doing something where I strip out all the unique ids, then make a checksum of the file and compare against that, but that's still very easy to get around.

My advice, for what it's worth: don't try to do this automatically.

1. As you already said, a checksum/file comparison would not suffice, since the part order in the file can easily change as well.
  2. Nearly identical craft, if the changes are trivial, can be considered an infraction too, but a direct comparison would not catch that.
  3. There will be times when uploading an identical/nearly identical craft is not an infraction. I have uploaded nearly identical craft of my own a few times. But I've also uploaded a slightly adjusted copy of someone else's craft, as a way to pass on some suggestion for improvement. Or a challenge might call for re-using the same starting craft to achieve something. Just saying, you don't want to algorithmically cut off appropriate 'reuploads' of craft.
  4. The procedure/mechanism to identify an infringing copy should allow for reporting copies of originals hosted somewhere other than KerbalX (people host craft anywhere else??).

Given the above, I think a 'Report' button with a couple of fields (URL to the allegedly copied original, 'Are you the author of the original? Y/N', and a free text field for any additional comment) that generates a message to you or a moderator to investigate and act as required, would work better.

I could see myself not even wanting an actual 'take-down' if I see some merit in a reupload of one of my craft... I think there's authors out there that would be fine just seeing a little credit in the text or a link back to the original. Or not care at all. Take-downs are a pretty aggressive measure, should definitely not be a weapon wielded by a cold hard piece of code.

Just my .02π to the matter.

the automatic mechanism can help with exact copies...
slightly adjusted/similar crafts are not a problem in my opinion...
an report form can help in some cases, but there are ppl that uses our designs to learn... and upload their own modified, adjusted or improved versions...
I defend craft reverse engineering in KSP myself... It's a good way to learn some tricks... That's why I share my designs...

Site update!

I've added a feature that lets you follow other users and hangars.  You'll get notifications when users you're following upload new craft or update existing craft and notifications when hangars you're following have craft added to them.  You'll also get a notification when someone follows you or one of your hangars.  You can see who is following you on your profile page and there is now a subscriptions page (link to that in the top section of the profile page) which shows the users and hangars that you follow.

Another feature added is that you can hide craft that don't have pictures from the main craft list.  There is a toggle option under the main search text field to show/hide craft without pictures (you can also change that preference under "interface" in your settings page.  
Now if you upload a craft and don't put a picture, the site will send you a reminder notification when you return to the main page after uploading/editing it.  It's just a reminder to say that other users might not see the craft unless you add a picture to it.  That notification can be disabled in the notifications section of settings.

Couple other minor things, you can now add multiple craft to a hangar.  When on you hangars page (and for 'open' hangars on the public hangars page), you can click the add craft to this hangar link and then select several of your craft to add in one go.

The Parts index page was doing something daft and was being slow, that's fixed and nice and fast again now.
And a few other minor fixes and optimizations.  

3 hours ago, Azimech said:

There's an upload limit? :confused:

only as a precaution to stop a new user spamming bad content. I'm going to change it so that if you verify your email address it will remove the limit automatically, just not got round to adding email verification yet. 

4 hours ago, GrandAdmiralJon said:

Hello,

I love KerbalX! So much so that i have reached my limit of uploads. I was told to come to here and request that Katateochi increase my limit. i would be very grateful.

you can find me here https://kerbalx.com/GrandAdmiralJon

No worries, limit lifted! upload away! :)

Good morning Katateochi!

I have a development Idea that maybe you might want to consider for the KerbalX website. Here is the idea with an example of what it could look like below. When a Craft is uploaded that contains a Video maybe the link could be shown on the thumb files?

zovCbNG.png

2 hours ago, castille7 said:

Good morning Katateochi!

I have a development Idea that maybe you might want to consider for the KerbalX website. Here is the idea with an example of what it could look like below. When a Craft is uploaded that contains a Video maybe the link could be shown on the thumb files?

Do you mean to just have an icon to indicate that it has a vid, or have it so clicking it loads the vid up right away (either in a popup window, or opens full in another tab).  
In theory either is quite simple to do, although a link might be more tricky as the thumbnail is already a link itself so nesting a link inside a link isn't ideal, but it's doable.  But having a simple little video icon on craft that have vids would be a nice addition (maybe use something like the film icon from a set like this - http://getbootstrap.com/components/).  I shall add it to my list. 

23 minutes ago, katateochi said:

Do you mean to just have an icon to indicate that it has a vid, or have it so clicking it loads the vid up right away (either in a popup window, or opens full in another tab).  
In theory either is quite simple to do, although a link might be more tricky as the thumbnail is already a link itself so nesting a link inside a link isn't ideal, but it's doable.  But having a simple little video icon on craft that have vids would be a nice addition (maybe use something like the film icon from a set like this - http://getbootstrap.com/components/).  I shall add it to my list. 

Which ever direction you would like to run with it, my main idea for it is to know when looking at the craft thumb you will see that there is a video available to view. Glad to see you like the idea and adding it to your list! :D I look forward to seeing it one day.

Some days ago i started using KerbalX, and so far i think its a great site! Because i already uploaded some crafts, and i dont want to be notified, if any of those gets downloaded, i disabled that notification. All other notification (upvotes etc.) are still enabled. Now, if one of my crafts gets an upvote, the site will tell me, that i have a notification. But that notification window also shows new downloads on crafts, that havn´t gotten any upvote. Would be nice, if it shows only the things, where i want to have a notification.

0oca0mx.png

Also, here are 2 small bugs:

1) The "Upload thing" says "or click here", but you can´t click there. Theres a "no click zone"4F4U8IV.png 

2) If you view your crafts and check "Hide those without picture", it says "excluding ~800", like it does on the main page. xnAT0Sg.png

Thanks for this great sharing solution!

3 hours ago, rudi1291 said:

Some days ago i started using KerbalX, and so far i think its a great site! Because i already uploaded some crafts, and i dont want to be notified, if any of those gets downloaded, i disabled that notification. All other notification (upvotes etc.) are still enabled. Now, if one of my crafts gets an upvote, the site will tell me, that i have a notification. But that notification window also shows new downloads on crafts, that havn´t gotten any upvote. Would be nice, if it shows only the things, where i want to have a notification.

Also, here are 2 small bugs:

1) The "Upload thing" says "or click here", but you can´t click there. Theres a "no click zone"

2) If you view your crafts and check "Hide those without picture", it says "excluding ~800", like it does on the main page. 

Thanks for this great sharing solution!

Thanks for the feedback! 
All notifications used to be separate things, then I merged craft activity into one collected notification type and I guess something got missed out in the filtering process there, I shall have a look at that, cos you're right, if you've unchecked download notifications then it shouldn't be reporting them.
The "click here" thing, looks like a styling error, the clickable bit is there, just seems to have got shifted to the right, that bit you selected in yellow is unclickable, but further to the right is. I shall sort that.
gah, that's that's what I get for taking a shortcut! The reason it says ~800 rather than a specific number was I was being "clever" and using a cached value, so it doesn't need to count up how many pictureless craft there are every time (which would be another DB select), but it just hands that same value back when on user's craft pages.  Doing a count up of pictureless craft on the user's pages won't be as DB taxing so I'll fix it so it uses the cached value on the main page, and a proper count when on user's pages.

Useful feedback, thanks, last two will be pretty quick fixes, should have time for that tomorrow.  The notification one might need more work. 
Also, great craft man! that most recent one is really cool, in fact.....that's going in the dev's hangar. 

23 minutes ago, MrMeeb said:

I really need to actually start uploading my things to KerbalX...I've made a button for my signature and everything!

yes indeed! I see you got a some uploaded a few months back, lets have the rest!! nice sig btw! :)

36 minutes ago, katateochi said:

yes indeed! I see you got a some uploaded a few months back, lets have the rest!! nice sig btw! :)

Thanks. It's my favourite one...I'm happy that I managed to keep the feeling while making of match with the rest of my style 

the problem with my crafts are that they're made for films...they're hardly practical at all! :D Ah well, they look cool ;) 

Edited by MrMeeb
Mobile sucks