KerbalX.com - Craft & Mission Sharing

katateochi

23 minutes ago, katateochi said:

yeah I see what you mean.  Are you viewing it on a wide view?

No I am not, but on wide view(clicking that pair of arrows in the top right) it looks even emptier.:P

Maybe increasing the size of some of the filter buttons might make it less, desolate? IDK

Edited by RYU AZUKU99

3 hours ago, katateochi said:

After several delays as I kept finding bits that were being awkward, the new interface is now up!!

(...)

Check out the mods index page (https://kerbalx.com/mods) it has a totally unintented but kinda cool effect when you change browser width.  I'd made some javascript before which ensured the right number of columns and that when more results were loaded it didn't leave gaps in the cols. That plus the new responsive widths has resulted in something a little unexpected! I'm calling it a feature.

Nice, tidy and speedy, and the resizing works like a charm in all browser configurations I tried. I draw the line at testing on a phone though (phones are for calling!).

The mods page: I momentarily had a flashback to a virus from the good 'ole DOS days, that would snip up the screen into puzzle pieces and start shuffling them around, ha. I'm with you though, feature it is!

Let me know if you spot anything that looks odd!

Just a tiny thing I found that did not work as expected: when I used the cog to manually set image number and width, if I have it manual on 'wide', and then without changing that I click on 'Auto', the images stay in wide/half-height view, even if it decides to use a different number of images than what I had it set to. I think that is not as intended. I would expect Auto to also change to non-wide as default.

@swjr-swis I like your suggestion of side by side views, might be a bit tricky to make work, but I'll ponder it.

Just don't forget to play some KSP in the meantime. I hear 1.1 was released a few days ago. :wink: All work and no play makes Jeb threaten us with clipping some wheels together...

Edited by swjr-swis

43 minutes ago, RYU AZUKU99 said:

Maybe increasing the size of some of the filter buttons might make it less, desolate? IDK

I might bring some other links into that area when the screen is wide enough, maybe to hangars and mod packs.

11 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

I think that is not as intended. I would expect Auto to also change to non-wide as default.

yeah that's not as it should be.  I'll shall sort that later

11 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

Just don't forget to play some KSP in the meantime. I hear 1.1 was released a few days ago

true, and I think I've run out of coding steam for now.  Was just about to go and play some 1.1!  I should really build and post some craft! 

@luizopiloto, it looks like the fonts are being badly rendered, the text shouldn't look that blocky. I think that is part (if not all) of the problem.  Unfortunately I can't replicated it (with Firefox 38 on ubuntu), what I see is this;

bAC9hCa.png

From a quick hunt about this, perhaps ClearType is disabled? 
Can you try another browser and see if it's browser related or something to do with your OS setup? 

Hi, love the site got a few craft up myself at the moment. I looked over the site first but couldnt find anything relating to my question. Once a craft is uploaded is there anyway to show it works with newer versions and will actually show in the new version search results other than re-uploading it?

Edited by Angelus2141

4 minutes ago, Angelus2141 said:

Hi, love the site got a few craft up myself at the moment. I looked over the site first but couldnt find anything relating to my question. Once a craft is uploaded is there anyway to show it works with newer versions and will actually show in the new version search results other than re-uploading it?

As some versions change things more than others I've not tried to make any assumptions about craft from past versions being ok in the current version.
The best way is to update your existing craft.  You don't have to upload as a new upload, you can update the craft file for an existing craft on the site; Go to your existing craft and click edit craft in the top.  Once on the edit page upload the updated craft file (in the same way as normal) and the site will ask if you want to update the current craft.  That will leave the craft's page content as it is (pictures/text etc and download/view counts) but will rescan the craft file and update the info about it. 

So, I'll try posting here.

On Kerbalx.com, there's a craft "A1 Mining SSTO 2a" by "shakefu."

(Stock, SPH, 1.1.2)

I'd like to ask the designer some questions.

I see no shakefu on Kerbal Space Program Forums.

There is a "shake", and various others that have "shake" in their names,
but rather than random guessing......   scooby dooby doo, shakefu, where are you?

3 hours ago, Algomeysa said:

So, I'll try posting here.

I'd like to ask the designer some questions.

You make it sound like you have no recourse, but you only just posted a question in the comments of his page 4 hours ago.

The craft was uploaded not even two days ago, so the author is active. Perhaps give the person some time to even find your comment and react to it?

29 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

You make it sound like you have no recourse, but you only just posted a question in the comments of his page 4 hours ago.

The craft was uploaded not even two days ago, so the author is active. Perhaps give the person some time to even find your comment and react to it?

Relax.

Loving KerbalX!  Have one suggestion and apologies if it's not original.  It would be nice to have a way to upload multiple crafts as a group.  Like a pack of subassemblies, or the Island pack that was featured on Spacecraft Friday...

Thanks for all you do!

Danny.  Ad Astra per quaestio!

17 hours ago, CrashTestDanny said:

Loving KerbalX!  Have one suggestion and apologies if it's not original.  It would be nice to have a way to upload multiple crafts as a group.  Like a pack of subassemblies, or the Island pack that was featured on Spacecraft Friday...

Thanks for all you do!

Danny.  Ad Astra per quaestio!

Do you mean so you could drop say 5 craft files onto the site in one go? I have a couple hesitations around enabling that a) the upload process locks up one instance of the site while the craft are processed so a bulk upload would have a bigger impact on other users b) with a bulk upload someone could upload a silly number of craft in one go which would kinda dominate the front page (there is currently a limit to prevent uploading more than 10 craft in a hour, to prevent that).

You can currently create groups of craft (called hangars), you have to upload the craft 1 at a time, but you can then put them all into one hangar and share the link the hangar.  That might enable what you're after but it requires a few steps to setup.

I am thinking of a way to have a bulk upload resulting in all the craft in the group being added directly to a hangar and then not displaying each craft on the front page but instead just showing the hangar (rather like an album on imgur), but there are a couple other things I need to get working/change first (the main ones being a background worker system for processing the craft files so site instances aren't locked up by it and including hangars as results in the craft search system without slowing down that process).

I am also planning to add uploading of save files to the site and possibly having the ability to extract individual craft out of the save so you could upload a save with a bunch of craft.  But there are some prerequisites to get working before I can do that.

oh and in general news; I'm currently working on a way to collect more detailed information about parts including their mass, cost, crew capacity and (in the case of engines) their ISP, thrust and propellant requirements.  With that information available I should be able to do dV and TWR calcs for craft which is something I'd really like to be able to add.  But even if I can't get dV calcs working at least I'll be able to add information about the cost of craft and crew capacities.  The dV calcs are going to be tricky as I'll have to analyse the connections between parts to determine fuel flow which isn't something I've looked at doing before.  so yeah, this is still in the experimental stage atm and I'm just at the stage of seeing if I can collect the required info about the parts.  

4 hours ago, katateochi said:

I am also planning to add uploading of save files to the site and possibly having the ability to extract individual craft out of the save so you could upload a save with a bunch of craft.  But there are some prerequisites to get working before I can do that.

@Ezriilc's craft extractor works a lot like that, s/he might be able to help you.

4 hours ago, katateochi said:

You can currently create groups of craft (called hangars), you have to upload the craft 1 at a time, but you can then put them all into one hangar and share the link the hangar.  That might enable what you're after but it requires a few steps to setup.

Well, something like that - I really just wanted to upload a rar file that contained a group of subassemblies that I used to create and customize launch vehicles so that I could distribute it as a pack...  I might try to make them a hangar I suppose...

Danny.

6 hours ago, katateochi said:

With that information available I should be able to do dV and TWR calcs for craft which is something I'd really like to be able to add.  But even if I can't get dV calcs working at least I'll be able to add information about the cost of craft and crew capacities.  The dV calcs are going to be tricky as I'll have to analyse the connections between parts to determine fuel flow which isn't something I've looked at doing before.  so yeah, this is still in the experimental stage atm and I'm just at the stage of seeing if I can collect the required info about the parts.

MJ and KER already do the dV and TWR calculations, and they've been trying to solve the problems with things like creative staging sequences and fuel routing for a long time now, so it is probably a good idea to take a look at what they are doing on this.

On 5/14/2016 at 3:30 PM, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

@Ezriilc's craft extractor works a lot like that, s/he might be able to help you.

I have not made my code public just yet, but if anyone is interested in it, then I could make that happen.  I'm happy to help any way I can.

23 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Sorry, I didn't know.  Don't let me pressure you. :) 

Oh no, not at all.  I didn't mean I felt pressure.  I fully intended to release it.  I just didn't know anyone cared what I do.

38 minutes ago, Ezriilc said:

I have not made my code public just yet, but if anyone is interested in it, then I could make that happen.  I'm happy to help any way I can.

Thanks! I'm a ways off from adding that feature, but when I get to it I'll give you a shout. 

3 minutes ago, katateochi said:

Thanks! I'm a ways off from adding that feature, but when I get to it I'll give you a shout. 

I look forward to it - meaning I will go over my code and make sure I'm not embarrassing myself too much.

Is KerbalX down, i can not reach it since a few hours..

We're sorry, but something went wrong.

If you are the application owner check the logs for more information.

Edited by Nowater

@Nowater site is up and functioning OK.  Can you tell me your KerbalX user name and I'll check if there's something specific to your account going wrong.  
I am seeing some errors to do with oversized cookies, but I can't tell if that's for your account.  Can you try accessing the site on a different browser (or using private mode) and without logging in.  If that works try clearing the cookies for just KerbalX.com and then try to login as normal.