KerbalX.com - Craft & Mission Sharing

katateochi

Ok, screenshot shows the problem clearly, thank you. I was hoping to save kat the trouble of diving into logs if it had been something easy to spot, but we appear to be using the exact same settings and all the thumbs on your craft page show perfectly for me, so the cause is something beyond my ability to help with. It may be a bit before he can get to it.

Only think I can think of is if you and I are connecting through different CDN nodes and the node serving your geography is having an issue. I am connecting from NL, Europe.

5 hours ago, StormKat said:

I put some red arrows on the flaky thumbnails.  I'm on Firefox 47 as well.

Hi StormKat,  yes I can see the messed up thumbnails just as your pic shows when viewed with the craft shown in rows of 6. When they are shown in rows of 4 (narrower browser window or set from the little cog icon) then the thumbs are all ok.  So that means something went wrong with processing one of the resolutions of thumbnail. I shall look into that now.

@StormKat this is odd! I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like something is up with the source image (possibly).  In my test setup, I was able to set a different image on one of your craft (the SK-Command-Pod) and that worked fine, so then I tried setting your original image and the same problem occurred (the smallest thumbnail is just a tiny sliver).  So then I went to the source image on imgur and copied it (by going right click, copy image) and then pasted it into my imgur account, I then pointed the craft at that image and the thumbnail processed correctly.  Then I went back to your source image and downloaded it (right click, save as) and uploaded that image to my imgur account, and then noticed something odd.  

kHhfVzs.png

That's a screenshot from my imgur account, the right hand image which looks normal (and resulted in correct thumbnails) was the image I first uploaded by copying the source image. The left hand image is from downloading the source image and then uploading it.  If I set the craft's image url to that left image I get the same issue when generating the thumbnails, but when set to the right image thumbnails generate correctly.

So...what I think is that the source image has incorrect info about its dimensions, and the process of copying the image and pasting it into imgur creates a new image and re-regenerates that info.  The reason that doesn't cause the other sized thumbnails to have the same problem is that when KX generates the larger thumbnails it first takes a copy of the source image (thereby resetting image info) and processes the thumbnails from that copy, but when generating the small thumbnail it does it directly from the source image (to save time). 

At least I think that's what the issue is.  
What I'll do is take copies of all the source images for your craft which have broken thumbnails and paste them into my imgur account and then point the craft at those images and get them to regenerate the thumbnails. That should fix the current broken thumbs.  (might be a couple of hours before I can do that as I need to get some things done for work first).
I can't think of a fix to prevent this from happening again though, but the work around if this happens again would be to view the original image on imgur, right click and copy it and then paste it into imgur again, and then use that 2nd image's url as the image for the craft.  
Out of curiosity, are you editing the images in anyway before uploading them to imgur? It's odd that this hasn't happened to all of your images, so if you can think of anything that might be different about those images that might help me find a solution to workaround this. 

I do believe the images for those craft were edited before loading to imgur.  I used KSP to take the screenshot, loaded it up with Windows preview and then used Snipping Tool to get the exact image I wanted.  Then I pasted the image to imgur. 

I wonder if the problem is because of the odd sizes and shapes.  These are not your normal rectangular images.

I bet imgur was having issues during the time I posted them.  I did all of them very quickly.

@StormKat I've reprocessed the images on your craft. You may need to clear your browser's cache before the updated thumbnails are shown.  Have a check to make sure I set the images to the correct craft! :wink: (pretty sure I did).
I'm guessing that something in the editing and uploading process skewed the image's dimension info. The odd shapes are ok with the image processing KX does, but if the image doesn't have correct dimension info that would mess that up. I'm just guessing that it's the image dimension info that's causing the problem, but that seems the most likely. 

Hi @Naito,  I can't see logs of problems. Is it a particularly large craft (part-count over 1000)? 
If you send me the craft file I'll have a look and see if I can find out what's wrong. Either put it in something like dropbox or google docs and paste the link here, or email it to me (support email link at the bottom of the site).

@Naito: I had a similar problem once. I found that the timeout error I had was caused by my web browser, a conflict with Adobe Shockwave (a highly overrated plugin, in my opinion), and at the time I was using Microsoft Internet Exploder. When I upgraded to Windows 10 with MIcrosoft Edge, the problem went away - for a while - but came back. So... In April I switched to Mozilla Firefox and it works fine. 

1 hour ago, katateochi said:

Hi @Naito,  I can't see logs of problems. Is it a particularly large craft (part-count over 1000)? 
If you send me the craft file I'll have a look and see if I can find out what's wrong. Either put it in something like dropbox or google docs and paste the link here, or email it to me (support email link at the bottom of the site).

Thanks Katateochi!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxgF03q38nqSQ3VlMG9MTEltbDA/view?usp=sharing

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

@Naito: I had a similar problem once. I found that the timeout error I had was caused by my web browser, a conflict with Adobe Shockwave (a highly overrated plugin, in my opinion), and at the time I was using Microsoft Internet Exploder. When I upgraded to Windows 10 with MIcrosoft Edge, the problem went away - for a while - but came back. So... In April I switched to Mozilla Firefox and it works fine. 

I did try on multiple browsers thinking it was a browser issue, but didn't work in either Chrome or Firefox.

@Naito I couldn't find any problems with the craft and it uploaded OK for me.  So what I've done is uploaded it to my account as an unpublished craft and then transferred it to your account.  But it won't show up in your craft (as it's unpublished).  EDIT so what you need to do is try to upload it (or any other) craft and the site will then give you a message saying "You were part way through uploading another craft" and will give you a link "click here to finish uploading". Click that link and the upload/create-page process will resume from the point just after uploading and scanning.

Click this link https://kerbalx.com/crafts/14936 and you should be able to resume the upload process.  Should be normal from there on.
(that link will only work for you, assuming you're logged in. anyone else clicking it will just get a 404 not found).

Let me know if that works out for you.

Edited by katateochi

28 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

I just uploaded a large craft myself (+200 parts). I experienced no issues.

A fine ship she is too! 
yeah, part count shouldn't be an issue, there are several craft with 1000+ parts, couple months ago the record was smashed by a craft with 2584 parts! If each part has several modules that have to get processed by KX then that could cause a slowdown, but I'm still not sure why that craft was misbehaving. 

3 minutes ago, Naito said:

Awesome, thanks katateochi, sorry it must've been some browser weirdness on my end then.

No worries! It could also have been something like too many users trying to upload at the same time, but I'm not sure.  (I have a plan for a way to improve that so a) it won't matter if loads of people try to upload simultaneously and b) uploading won't impact on the site's response time, but I need to re-write the upload process to implement that and I've not had much time for KX work this last month).

Looks like the resume of the upload has worked ok.  Let me know if you have the same problem with future uploads. 

• 2 weeks later...

Few minor updates today. A few bug fixes and some optimisations.  I've added a couple more things to the panel that's displayed beside/below craft; links to hangars that include that craft, upvote and fav links and also added the ability to add the craft's mods into one of your existing mod packs or to create new mod pack containing the mods from a craft.  Also when viewing a mod's page you can click to add it into one of your mod packs, the aim of that being if you've created a sort of "wish list" mod pack and then see a mod you might be interested in you can quickly add it to your mod pack.

Also made a custom loading animation to replace the old and rather generic spinning gif; It's a rough copy of the Kerbol system (but just showing Moho to Duna) and made just with CSS effects, so it can scale smoothly to any size.  Having all the planets was too much for the loading animation but it's got the rules for them all (no moons though) and you can see the whole thing here https://kerbalx.com/orbits. Planet sizes, orbital periods and starting positions are to scale, but distances between them are not (so it would fit) and orbits are perfectly circular. Kerbol isn't to scale either.  Anyway, mostly just a gimmick as I was learning about making css keyframe animations.  If the KSP wiki has an API then I might try and hook that in so on the /orbits page you'll be able to click on the planets and view info about them from the wiki.  

I'm still working on the major feature of collecting more data on parts so we can have more generated info about craft.  But I had to take a break from that as I've not been that well and then had rather too much work to catch up on over the last month. But that's still happening, just a bit slower than planned!

• 2 weeks later...

@swjr-swis it does seem to be due to having the gif added first.  I just created a page in my dev environment with your gif and jpg (added the gif first) and I got the same problem (also noted that it was taking ages to save the page).  
Quick fix for now seems to be; remove the gif, wait for the page to save (or click the save button) and then it should recognise the other image and generate the thumbnail. Then add the gif back in and all should be normal again (including page save times). 

That will get the thumbnail generated, but that is buggy behaviour so I'll try to find out what's going wrong. 

3 hours ago, katateochi said:

Quick fix for now seems to be; remove the gif, wait for the page to save (or click the save button) and then it should recognise the other image and generate the thumbnail. Then add the gif back in and all should be normal again (including page save times).

Ok removing the gif, saving, and readding worked. Thanks.

5 hours ago, Naito said:

Is there any way to update the main thumbnail for a craft?

You can select the thumbnail to be any of the pics you've put on the craft's page.  To change the thumbnail go to your craft, click 'edit craft' at the top and then on the craft edit page the thumbnail is shown at the top. Click on it and from there you can choose any of the other pics that you've added to the page to be the thumbnail. 

7 hours ago, katateochi said:

You can select the thumbnail to be any of the pics you've put on the craft's page.  To change the thumbnail go to your craft, click 'edit craft' at the top and then on the craft edit page the thumbnail is shown at the top. Click on it and from there you can choose any of the other pics that you've added to the page to be the thumbnail. 

Ah, got it!  thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...

So! hmmm, updates! A Big one! - https://kerbalx.com/dev_blog

KerbalX is now able to collect more detailed info about parts, including their crew capacity, required tech level and their values (for both wet and dry) mass and cost.  So craft now have their total mass, cost and crew capacities shown on craft pages. You can also search according to those attributes, in the same way you could before for part count, with a range slider (but you can now also click the edit icon and switch to a text entry mode. the power button lets you toggle each slider).  The sliders are now exponential so there is more precision at the lower values.

KX-filters.png

There is also a new type of filter which displays the stock TechTree and lets you select which tech nodes you have unlocked in your career and then KX will find craft compatible with your current progress. (works best on a browser window that#s >= 1000px wide, otherwise it just collapses down to a simple list).

KX-techtree.png

The tech tree filter (required tech filter) is a bit experimental still. It works very well for stock and with mods which don't alter the tech tree.  You can select non-stock tech nodes, but they're just shown as a list so it's not as nice to use.  The stock tree layout is actually procedurally generated by reading KSP's TechTree.cfg file, so if that changes I just need to replace that file and it should draw a different tree.  So with that I might also in the future let you upload your own tech tree setup which will be stored on your account and then it will use that to draw a custom tree for you. But I'm not 100% sure about that yet. 

As with all the filters they can be used on their own or mixed together, so you could say show me craft with a crew capacity between 1-4, that weight between 1-10 tonnes, cost between 0-3k to launch and just use the first couple tech nodes. 

Along with mass, cost, crew capacity and tech level, KX is also collecting ISP data for engines, but at present I'm not doing anything with that data.  I hope to get dV and TWR calcs working in a future update, but that will be more complex and I wanted to get this first stage up and working so I could iron out any issues with the data collection.  

Existing craft have all been rescanned to get their mass, cost and crew capacity info set.  In some cases (especially on older modded craft) the values might not be 100% correct. This is mostly due to a lack of into for parts.  All mods which are listed on CKAN have their full data, others may be less complete, but that will improve over time if people still continue to use the part mapper tool.

There will be a new version of the PartMapper tool released soon (like later today).  The new PartMapper will also gather more detailed info about parts and will help with improving the data for mods which are not listed on CKAN. (The current version has been disabled). 

As part of all of this I built a better library for readings Squad's almost-but-not-quite-entirely-unlike-XML file structure (:wink:) in order to read the data from parts.  I've incorporated this into the craft reading process and it has greatly improved the performance of processing craft files. So the time taken to upload craft should be quite a bit better.  

There are also a few other minor fixes and tweaks here and there.

This has been a BIG change to KX's knowledge base and functionality so there may be quirks!  Do let me know if you come across any bugs. 

edit

oh....You will all have been logged out too! I've changed how sessions are stored, so that will have resulted in everyone being logged out. 

Edited by katateochi

2 hours ago, katateochi said:

oh....You will all have been logged out too! I've changed how sessions are stored, so that will have resulted in everyone being logged out. 

Mutter and grumble... :huh:

All very nice improvements. The best Kerbal craft-sharing site gets better with every update. Make it stock already, SQUAD! :D

16 hours ago, katateochi said:

So! hmmm, updates! A Big one! - https://kerbalx.com/dev_blog

KerbalX is now able to collect more detailed info about parts, including their crew capacity, required tech level and their values (for both wet and dry) mass and cost.  So craft now have their total mass, cost and crew capacities shown on craft pages. You can also search according to those attributes, in the same way you could before for part count, with a range slider (but you can now also click the edit icon and switch to a text entry mode. the power button lets you toggle each slider).  The sliders are now exponential so there is more precision at the lower values.

KX-filters.png

There is also a new type of filter which displays the stock TechTree and lets you select which tech nodes you have unlocked in your career and then KX will find craft compatible with your current progress. (works best on a browser window that#s >= 1000px wide, otherwise it just collapses down to a simple list).

KX-techtree.png

The tech tree filter (required tech filter) is a bit experimental still. It works very well for stock and with mods which don't alter the tech tree.  You can select non-stock tech nodes, but they're just shown as a list so it's not as nice to use.  The stock tree layout is actually procedurally generated by reading KSP's TechTree.cfg file, so if that changes I just need to replace that file and it should draw a different tree.  So with that I might also in the future let you upload your own tech tree setup which will be stored on your account and then it will use that to draw a custom tree for you. But I'm not 100% sure about that yet. 

As with all the filters they can be used on their own or mixed together, so you could say show me craft with a crew capacity between 1-4, that weight between 1-10 tonnes, cost between 0-3k to launch and just use the first couple tech nodes. 

Along with mass, cost, crew capacity and tech level, KX is also collecting ISP data for engines, but at present I'm not doing anything with that data.  I hope to get dV and TWR calcs working in a future update, but that will be more complex and I wanted to get this first stage up and working so I could iron out any issues with the data collection.  

Existing craft have all been rescanned to get their mass, cost and crew capacity info set.  In some cases (especially on older modded craft) the values might not be 100% correct. This is mostly due to a lack of into for parts.  All mods which are listed on CKAN have their full data, others may be less complete, but that will improve over time if people still continue to use the part mapper tool.

There will be a new version of the PartMapper tool released soon (like later today).  The new PartMapper will also gather more detailed info about parts and will help with improving the data for mods which are not listed on CKAN. (The current version has been disabled). 

As part of all of this I built a better library for readings Squad's almost-but-not-quite-entirely-unlike-XML file structure (:wink:) in order to read the data from parts.  I've incorporated this into the craft reading process and it has greatly improved the performance of processing craft files. So the time taken to upload craft should be quite a bit better.  

There are also a few other minor fixes and tweaks here and there.

This has been a BIG change to KX's knowledge base and functionality so there may be quirks!  Do let me know if you come across any bugs. 

edit

I have problem with the site, it doesn't allow me to upload anything after the update. Whenever I try to upload, it tells me I'm halfway through uploading another craft. I checked my craft list, it tells me I have 110 crafts in total, but only 109 are visible (I didn't hide crafts without pictures). I can see I have an unfinished craft (called "Yuri Prime") in my dashboard page, but I can neither edit it or delete it. So basically, I can no longer upload anything with my account right now, and there's nothing I can do about it. Please help!

Here's the error message given when I try to upload anything:

Couldn't Upload Craft

You were part way through uploading another craft.
Click below to either finish uploading that one or cancel it before uploading another

click here to finish uploading

When I click that link, it shows another error page:

Was that the primary buffer panel!?

Something has gone wrong!

I have been notified about it and will investigate.

If you feel like being extra helpful, you could leave me a message on the KSP forum

Or write a bug report on githib

Edited by siliconworm